3M

Big Ten

The Big Ten still get's no respect and for one reason. No conference title game. They need to wake up Notre Dame will never join the conference. Drop a team from the football conference*. I see Indiana as a good one.

Indiana is not a football school and takes money away from the other schools. When is the last time they where in a bowl game any bowl game, heck when is teh last time they won a Big Ten title? They still get to stick their hands in the money bowl (Every school that makes a bowl game keeps 1/2 the money the rest goes into a pot and is then spred evenly amoung all 11 teams) and get money they don't deserve. I wish I could get some greens for getting my *** kick every year, maybe it's not to late to be a pro boxer. They are the weakest link time for them to go.

You could then have the break down

East - Penn. State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue

West- Ill., Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota, and Iowa

Each team plays there given division plus one from the other and pick up a non conference BCS team**. Letting them pick another out of confernce game would allow Michigan and Ohio State to play Notre Dame every year not 2 on 2 off.

Wouldn't that work?

*-Indiana would stay in the conference for other sports

**- BCS teams are schools in the Big 12, ACC, SEC, Big East and Pac 10 and Notre Dame

Originally posted by 3M

Drop a team from the football conference*. I see Indiana as a good one.

I agree that Indiana football stinks but I can not see how you can disect schools from athletic programs and keep them in other programs. Where will it end if this is done?

Out of curiosity, is there a school that fits this example?

I'm not seeing how the Big Ten gets no respect. They have 3 teams in the top ten and possibly 2 in the top 5. Can you please explain what you mean by "lack of respect" and also explain why a conference title game would help this.

I agree, how does the Big Ten get no respect? There is no way you can just kick Indiana out of the league in football and expect them to stay in the Big Ten in basketball and other sports. Indiana has made the Big Ten a great basketball conference (especially during the Knight era) over the past 25+ years.

Many Big Ten football teams are national title threats every year and throwing out Indiana and making the conference schedule more difficult with a Big Ten Championship game isn't going to give the Big Ten any more respect. Most of our teams have a great Strength of Schedule and if they go undefeated (or possibly 1 loss) will usually be in the national championship game which is all the respect I need!

Now throwing Ohio State out would give us more respect! ;)

The teams that are worthy of respect in the Big 10 this year (Ohio St., Iowa, Michigan, Penn St., and to an extent Minnesota) are getting their fair share of respect. I don't see where there is a lack of respect.

Originally posted by 3M

The Big Ten still gets no respect and for one reason. No conference title game. They need to wake up Notre Dame will never join the conference. Drop a team from the football conference*. I see Indiana as a good one.

Indiana is not a football school and takes money away from the other schools. When is the last time they where in a bowl game any bowl game, heck when is the last time they won a Big Ten title? They still get to stick their hands in the money bowl (Every school that makes a bowl game keeps 1/2 the money the rest goes into a pot and is then spred evenly amoung all 11 teams) and get money they don't deserve. I wish I could get some greens for getting my *** kick every year, maybe it's not to late to be a pro boxer. They are the weakest link time for them to go.

You could then have the break down

East - Penn. State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue

West- Ill., Wisconsin, Northwestern, Minnesota, and Iowa

Each team plays there given division plus one from the other and pick up a non conference BCS team**. Letting them pick another out of confernce game would allow Michigan and Ohio State to play Notre Dame every year not 2 on 2 off.

Wouldn't that work?

**- BCS teams are schools in the Big 12, ACC, SEC, Big East and Pac 10 and Notre Dame

No. It would not work. I believe NCAA rules stipulate that for a conference to have a football championship game, the conference must have 12 teams. Therefore, the Big 10 needs to get another team into the conference before it can have a title game. This is probably the same reason the Pac-10 and ACC don't have a title game.

And kicking out a school only for football is ridiculous. For starters, I doubt IU would keep their basketball program in a conference that didn't want their football program. Also, if I recall, there were rumblings that NU was on the way out, too. However, they stuck around and made some noise for a few years.

Expansion is the only way the Big 10 will have a title game, Bud Selig, not contraction.

Michigan always gets more respect than the Wolverines deserve. I remember about 10 years back when they were something like 3-1 and they were ranked NO. 1 IN THE USA TODAY POLLS. At the time I was a huge Michigan fan and I couldn't believe it.

Check this. Usually Michigan is either the highest or the second-highest ranked team with the number of losses they have. It's pretty amazing the respect pollsters give them year in and year out.

I should put a quaifier on that last statement. They are usually the highest or maybe second-highest with the number of losses they have during the course of the season. With Bowl losses at the end of the year that probably doesn't hold as true.

Originally posted by DTroppens

Michigan always gets more respect than the Wolverines deserve. I remember about 10 years back when they were something like 3-1 and they were ranked NO. 1 IN THE USA TODAY POLLS. At the time I was a huge Michigan fan and I couldn't believe it.

Check this. Usually Michigan is either the highest or the second-highest ranked team with the number of losses they have. It's pretty amazing the respect pollsters give them year in and year out.

I'm quite surprized they're holding the 10th spot now. They're always overranked.

Not that I'm complaining because if WSU wins out and the Bucks win out, that should be enough in the polls to for the Bucks to take the scarlet jerseys to Tempe with them instead of the white jerseys.

Originally posted by Ranger

I'm quite surprized they're holding the 10th spot now. They're always overranked.

Not that I'm complaining because if WSU wins out and the Bucks win out, that should be enough in the polls to for the Bucks to take the scarlet jerseys to Tempe with them instead of the white jerseys.

They might always be "overranked" but they usually beat the snot out of the suckeyes. If we're always "overranked" and have only lost 3 times to the suckeyes the past 10 or so years, what does that make osu?

Originally posted by MotorCityOrangeman

Indiana will never be dropped from the Big Ten for football. What you'll see happening is the addition of a 12th team, one distinct possibility is Syracuse.

I think it's Notre Dame or no one.

If the Big Ten decided to add a team, they probably want a huge following. Most East Coast teams don't generate huge followings. Notre Dame has the huge following that the Big Ten is used to in OSU, UM, Penn State...

If the Big Ten were to drop any team, I'd pick Northwestern. At least Indiana has a good basketball program.

Notre Dame will NOT join the Big Ten until they're allowed to keep their money separate from the rest of the conference, which will never happen.

SU is attractive to the Big Ten for a number of reasons... 1) SU would open the New York market to the Big Ten, 2) SU-Penn State was a huge rivalry before PSU went to the Big Ten, 3) SU brings the most revenue of any of the possible east coast teams (while 50,000 seats for football isn't exactly large, 33,000 for basketball makes up for it. Also, SU has many alumni with ESPN from the Newhouse Communications school)

I think one of the biggest reasons why Michigan get's so much respect from the pollsters each year is that they always play a killer out of conference schedule. Over the past decade or so it seems like we have played at least one top 10 out of conference team and sometimes even play 2 top 15 teams in the first 3 games. From the top of my head over the past 10-15 years I can think of these top 10 teams we played (where around top 10 when we played them): FSU, Colorado, Syracuse, Washington, Notre Dame, Miami....can't think of too many more off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone else can help me out.

When you play such a killer schedule year in and year out it makes it a lot easier to give favorable rankings because 1: if they win out they deserve to be the best in the country, 2: even if they lose it will probably be to a good team.

Of course I am a biased Michigan fan, but I love the out of conference schedule they play every year!

Originally posted by Todd

i heard that Missouri might be the school that joins the Big Ten

Heard that too... that would suck.

Missouri sucks in football. I have no idea about basketball because I don't really follow it until March Maddness starts up.

BG has whooped Missouri's arse the last two years. They have Pinkel at Missouri and even he can't win with them.

MCO brings up some good points about SU basketball but the Big Ten really isn't a big basketball conference but then again, its probably big to MSU and Indiana. OSU and UM had some pretty good basketball teams too.

Originally posted by Ranger

Heard that too... that would suck.

Missouri sucks in football. I have no idea about basketball because I don't really follow it until March Maddness starts up.

BG has whooped Missouri's arse the last two years. They have Pinkel at Missouri and even he can't win with them.

MCO brings up some good points about SU basketball but the Big Ten really isn't a big basketball conference but then again, its probably big to MSU and Indiana. OSU and UM had some pretty good basketball teams too.

True. We don't need Mizzou in our conference. They're not too good in most sports.

Another one I've heard every now and then is Iowa State. They've been decent in basketball recently and aren't too bad in football. Plus, it'd make a great in-conference rivalry for Iowa.

For the most part I would guess that Big 12 teams would stay with the Big 12 it is a more powerful conference in football, and is getting up there in basketball.

Outside of the fact that I'm a native Michigander and would like to see SU play Michigan every season, I'd like to see SU come to the Big Ten for many reasons...

1) The Big Ten would help SU's athletic status in general. The Big East is a hodge-podge thrown together of the schools left as independents for football. Overall, the Big East conference isn't nearly as strong as the Big Ten financially. SU does well with the media since it has the top communications program in th nation and is able to take advantage of these connections, but I'd like to see more attractive opponents year in and year out to generate more nationally televised basic network games.

2) Since Penn State joined the Big Ten, SU has been left without any real football rivals. SU-Miami was decent being the top two teams in the Big East every season, and recently with Virginia Tech becoming a top-tier program that has become a good game, but these rivalries only go so far. PSU made a mistake going to the Big Ten and this would solve their need for finding a rivalry since ending the one with the 'Cuse.

3) SU does well in recruiting having very talented teams every season, but by being in the Big Ten, Syracuse would position itself as the premier northeast athletics school.

Penn State went to the Big Ten thinking it would win the conference every year... and they've only been able to garner one Rose Bowl appearance since joining. I think that SU would be a very competitive addition for the Big Ten. While the rumor of this has been going around for years now, like a coaching change for football, it won't happen until we get a new athletic director. This might be happening very soon so you never know.

By the way, this is what should happen to the Big East...

Football

Stay: Rutgers, Connecticut (will join in 2005), West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Temple (only if they bring their basketball team over)

Come: Villanova (from D-IAA)

Go: Syracuse (to Big 10), Miami (to SEC), Virginia Tech (possibly to ACC)

Basketball

Stay:Villanova, Connecticut, Boston College, West Virginia, Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Georgetown, Providence, Notre Dame, St. John's, Seton Hall

Come: Temple

Go: Syracuse (to Big 10), Miami (to SEC), Virginia Tech (possibly to ACC)

so for the Big Ten, this is how I would break it up... Putting Indiana and Purdue in different divisions isn't good, but the schedules should be adapted so that they meet every year.

EAST

Michigan

Michigan State

Penn State

Syracuse

Ohio State

Indiana

WEST

Iowa

Minnesota

Illinois

Northwestern

Wisconsin

Purdue

MCO do you really believe that the Big East will break up?

BTW i doubt that the big ten would put Syracuse in. They seem to be too far east and the Big Ten overall is a midwestern conference..... other than Penn State, of course i was scratching my head when they brought them in.

Never know though they do have Penn State so the MidWest distinction is a bit out the window....

btw Why the ACC for Virginia Tech? I am not sure if that is the best fit for us. But I guess it does make the most sense geographically....

I heard some talk of Lousiville joining the Big Ten while I lived there.

They have a decent football team, but where they would upgrade the conference is basketball after Rick Pitino does his normal magic.

I'd like Mizzou in the Big Ten if only for the chance to see some more games. They suffer a serious inferiority complex in the Big 12, competing against the likes of OK and Neb.

They do suck at football, but people here love the baseketball and baseball programs.

The teams I've always heard are the ones being discussed here:

Missouri - a decent fit I think.

Notre Dame - ideal but it will never happen.

Louisville - they don't really bring anything to the table. They'd become better but not really help us.

I've never heard anything about Syracuse but I think they'd be great. More of an east coast recruiting base for the rest of the Big Ten. And they aren't a half-bad team usually. Basketball would be no problem.

And it would improve lacrosse in the conference as well.:)

I've never heard anything about Syracuse but I think they'd be great. More of an east coast recruiting base for the rest of the Big Ten. And they aren't a half-bad team usually. Basketball would be no problem.

And it would improve lacrosse in the conference as well.:)

Yeah, but too bad about their non-existent hockey program 'tho. ;)