IdahoBert

Historic Tiger Photo Album #50--Ty Cobb

Bert, please don't stop. You've got to find more. And I have to get my hands on a Cobb Tobacco T-206 card.

Yes please, and I love the cigarette and pipe tobacco ads so much that I think they deserve consideration for their own thread.

Thanks everyone. And thanks to everyone who has added pix as well. I hope I haven't duplicated anything. The thread's getting long enough that it's hard to review it to make sure. Most of the pix posted do not come up on a yahoo or google image search and have to be hunted down through other methods. Some auction sites have incredible stuff you have never seen before and will never be seen again when the links become obsolete. I'm saving all of them to my photobucket account so they don't pass into the darkness. This thread is dedicated to that purpose as well.

Don't know if these have bee posted..

CobbSpikes.JPG

cobbpeach04ny-1.jpg

By the way, those 1907ish blue uniforms are sweeet. Those need to be our alternate uniforms.

Some pictures off of eBay. If you want them, I recommed saving them.

DTBZUWF4VZHF.jpg

LC456-600W.jpg

LC445-600W.jpg

LC444-600W.jpg

97_1_b.JPG

38437.jpg

Ty Cobb Tour of Japan Photo

Photo is probably from 1928 right after Cobb's final Major League season.

Cobb wearing a Tokyo uniform standing beside a player wearing an Osaka

uniform (either Herb Hunter or someone with the last name of Hoffman). Cobb

special ordered the Tokyo uniforms for his teammates.

s065877.jpg

Cobb with a movie star who's name I can't remember.

Bert, the actors name is " Buck" Jones, famous cowboy actor of the 20s, and 30s.

Bert, the actors name is " Buck" Jones, famous cowboy actor of the 20s, and 30s.

Poor guy died in a club fire in Boston that claimed the lives of 500 people in WWII.

What an excellent collection! I wish someone would do something like this on our Cardinal site. Thanks for posting these.

Ty Cobb, (behind the wheel, car on right) receiving his brand new Chalmer's automobile in 1910. Cobb, along with Cleveland's Nap Lajoie (who is seated in the driver's seat, car on left) were co-winners of the Chalmer Trophy for 1910, and both players were given automobiles. Chalmer awarded an automobile annually to the Chalmer Trophy winner (which was the equivalent of today's league MVP award).

mipakaco-photos_1996_18837353

Ty Cobb, (behind the wheel, car on right) receiving his brand new Chalmer's automobile in 1910. Cobb, along with Cleveland's Nap Lajoie (who is seated in the driver's seat, car on left) were co-winners of the Chalmer Trophy for 1910, and both players were given automobiles. Chalmer awarded an automobile annually to the Chalmer Trophy winner (which was the equivalent of today's league MVP award).

mipakaco-photos_1996_18837353

As you probably know, there is more to the story...

In 1910, there was no pennant race but there was a historic batting race. Ty Cobb battled with Nap Lajoie up to the final game of the season. The champion was going to win a new Chalmers automobile. Strangely, there was no agreement on the exact batting averages. It was only known that Cobb had the lead and he sat out the last two games thinking he had already won it.

While Cobb rested, Nap Lajoie had a doubleheader versus the St. Louis Browns on the last day of the season. Lajoie was liked and respected by most people in the game while Cobb was disliked by most. Brown's manager Jack O'Connor, who hated Cobb as much as anybody, ordered his third baseman to play deep and it resulted in six bunt singles and an apparent batting title for Lajoie.

League statisticians then determined that Cobb actually won the title by .0007. Chalmers ended up giving cars to both of them but the controversy would not die for more than 70 years. In 1981, The Sporting News researchers Paul McFarlane and Pete Palmer came across a duplicate two hit game for Cobb and determined that Lajoie was the actual batting titlist .384 to .383. However, this notion was rejected by commissioner Bowie Kuhn and Cobb remained the official batting title winner even though Lajoie had a higher batting average.

http://motownsports.com/modules.php?name=News&file=showarticle&postid=1118169

Thanks Lee for the summary. I first learned about this from my 1973 Fleer Wildest Plays and Days set.

4279_1.JPG