OldTimey

WXYT Reports that Alou Accepts Bench Coach Job

I think he'll be a good addition. He's been around the block a time or two and knows the game. He was a good player, too. His brother Matty might've been a better one, though.

If anyone read the hated Rob Parker this AM, he made a surprisingly enlightened suggestion that this be a move to Alou becoming manager next year, and bring Tram back, almost like an apprentice to take over the reins.

Gotta have hope, because that's all that is left.

Alou is so old that he may not want to manage full time anymore. This should defiantely help Pujols though and hopefully he will earn the managerial position after this season. No matter what happens, Alou's presence is great for the organization.

I like the move, Alou has a wealth of baseball knowledge, and he will be an asset to our organization. As old as Filipe Alou is he can't possibly be older than Donny Zimmer in NY - and if he(Alou) thinks he's up to the monumental task of rebuilding the Tigers, I say more power to him. We could have done a lot worse and Alou could have signed elsewhere. Dave Dombrowski is already paying dividends, now only if he could get some of the young ballplayers from Florida to come our way as well...

President Mike Illitch would have never fired Randy Smith and Phil Garner, but President Dave Dombrowski did just that. That fact alone makes me believe that Mr. Dombrowski as team president is already paying dividends. Furthermore like him or not, Filipe Alou is widely respected in baseball circles and will be an asset to our organization. Mr. Alou would never of come here had Mr. Dombrowski not been at the helm, he's too smart. Mr. Dombrowski and his salary guru are the ones responsible for locking up Dmitri Young, Jeff Weaver, Matt Anderson et al to long term contracts - something Smith and Co. wouldn't/couldn't do with their soon to be free-agent trade aquisitions. Dave Dombrowski is respected for his baseball mind, and has a proven enough track record that made our young players and Mr. Young feel confident that the good ship Detroit Tigers have righted their ship and smooth sailing is ahead.

That, my friend, is dividends.

Maybe Alou can be a great help to Weaver, Sparks, Redman and Cornejo. Since he so great with pitchers, maybe they can flourish even more under him.

If Dombrowski gets credit for locking up Weaver and Anderson, he takes responsibility for overpaying Young and signing Paquette.

Furthermore like him or not, Filipe Alou is widely respected in baseball circles and will be an asset to our organization.

So was Phil Garner.......

Basically, I don't see any evidence yet that Dombrowski is gonna suddenly turn this team around. i really like Dombrowski in general, and think he is the best guy for the GM job not named Riccardi or Beane, but he hasn't done anything for us yet that hasn't been cancelled out by something negative he did (or he hasn't done anything yet, and Smith gets the credit/blame for it all).

I think you are saying that Jeff Weaver wouldn't have taken the long term contract if Dombrowski hadn't been here. Considering for all but ONE year of his contract he would have been a Tiger anyway (the LT contract only covers one of his FA years) and considering the injury risk associated with pitching, he'd have been crazy to turn that deal down. Same thing for Anderson basically.

And then there is the Young signing, which i've commented on before. We sign him into his decline years, and he hasn't even been a star during his peak years.

If Alou were so smart, how come he hung around Montreal while that ship was sinking? If he were that worried about management above him, he never would have managed a team run by Jeff Loria. He's here because of Pujols most likely, and Pujols was a Randy Smith hire.

I do think Alou should be a benefit to our young pitchers, as he does an excellent job of not overworking his pitchers and has a solid trach record with young arms.

If Alou were so smart, how come he hung around Montreal while that ship was sinking?

The only reason he didn't leave Montreal was because he was loyal. The Dodgers, with all the money and resources Rupert Murdoch could buy, went after Alou hard. He declined because he felt like he owed the Expos (which I never understood quite frankly, but it was his decision). There were alot of young players coming up and he said he wouldn't feel right leaving them. I thought that was cool. Insane, but cool. He's one of the few who turned down a better job because the heartstrings were tugging in Montreal.

Garner and Alou are both highly regarded, but it different ways. Garner is highly regarded as a good baseball mind with a fiery attitude. Alou is highly regarded as a good manager that knows how to get across to players whether they have no major league experience or they are on their way out. EwE is right about Alou sticking with the Expos. It's all about respect. The older guys from Dominican Republic and that area are different. They show respect, they show class. It's a lot different with other players and managers. It's gonna be fun to see how this plays out.

QuickSilver, I have a feeling that you wouldn't have been impressed if Riccardi came to Detroit and traded Matt Anderson(Billy Koch) for Eric Hinske and Omar Infante(Cesar Izturas) and Danny Patterson(Paul Quantrill) for Luke Prokopec.

Yes I will give him credit for signing Dmitri Young, I believed then it was a solid signing and I still do. Your reasoning about not signing Young because of declining years would make every free-agent signing not possible to us. What free- agent a)Is available before he enters his prime and b)Is willing to only sign only to when the club feels he will be useful? We probably also have differing definitions of ones "prime", because in my definition Young is in the midst of his, and unlike all other pro sports, ones "prime" in baseball extends give or take a few years to about a decade - in my definition, especially for a first baseman.

I didn't really like the Craig Paquette signing, but it was a necessity knowing that Palmer wasn't going to be 100% and we didn't have other options. P.S. Jarrod Patterson is not an option, and if I'm not mistaken Mr. Patterson is playing 2nd base in Toledo, or at the very least is in the utility role.

If I'm not mistaken, He(Alou) was in Montreal long before Jeffrey Loria bought the team with the sole purpose to run it into the ground. He stayed their out of loyalty to his team, his coaches and the remaining fans. Rupert Murdoch tried to lure him away with money but he didn't bite, and I believe he turned down the Boston job as well, if not recently definately last season. Puljos was a Randy Smith hiring, I have no problem giving credit where credit is due. Puljos as a bench boss to Garner was Puljos's doing, and Puljos as the Manager was Dombrowski's doing. Alou has stated that Dombrowski is a reason why he is coming here, he had a solid relationship in Montreal when they were both working their way up, and he trusts Dombrowski and believes he will turn the team around. Luis Puljos also played a part in convincing Alou to come here, and I doubt he would have come here unless both Puljos and Dombrowski were in place.

I'd trade any closer in baseball not named Hoffman, Rivera, or Nen for Hinske. So i'd be pretty impressed if he had done that.

I wouldn't trade Infante straight up for Prokopec, much less would I throw in Patterson. The Jays had a SS (Lopez) who was as good a prospect as Izturiz, so it might not be a terrible trade, but 21 year olds in AAA (assuming Izturis' age is correct) tend to be solid major leaguers, and I think this wasn't Riccardi's best trade.

The answer to your question is none. And I wouldn't sign any FA's (at least no the mid level ones lke Young) unless I was in the contending phase of the success cycle. If Young is as good a player at the end of his contract as he was last year (at the age of 27) I'll admit I was wrong. BUt since almost all players decline in their 30's I'm not to worried. He will get more expensive as he gets worse. He is in the midst of his prime. And he'll be in the midst of it for another two years or so.

Alou certainly stayed out of loyalty, but that isn't evidence of his intelligence, just his loyalty. A good quality to have, and I respect him for it, but saying Alou is to smart to join a team unless DD is with them seems like a stretch.

I didn't really like the Craig Paquette signing, but it was a necessity knowing that Palmer wasn't going to be 100% and we didn't haveother options. P.S. Jarrod Patterson is not an option, and if I'm not mistaken Mr. Patterson is playing 2nd base in Toledo, or at the very least is in the utility role.

Why was it a necessity? Why isn't Patterson an option? Why did we need another utility infielder?

And please don't be one of those people that says I only criticise moves the Tigers make. Where are you at when i defend Bobby higginson, or talk about how the last Ausmus trade (not to mention the Jones trade and the Encarnacion trade and the Becker signing etc.) I'm impressed by what I view as good moves, and I'm unimpressed by what I view are poor moves.

Quick, I think alot of people concur with you and probably think that the Tigers overpaid for Young, but it seemed like we had to just to send a message to other players that they'd be taken care of. I don't quite get how you can say Young is overpaid and not think that Higginson is however.

I sat here and read everyone talk about how the Tigers overpaid for Dmitri Young. And I remembered reading this and spent hours trying to find it.

From Jason Stark

"The Tigers took some heat for the four-year, $28.5 million contract they gave Dmitri Young (which can expand to six years, $44 million). But say this for Young: He's one of only nine players who have hit .300 in each of the last four seasons (with a minimum of 400 plate appearances per season). You've heard of the others: Derek Jeter, Mike Piazza, Vladimir Guerrero, Todd Helton, Chipper Jones, Gary Sheffield, Edgar Martinez and Bernie Williams. (Larry Walker and Pudge Rodriguez would join the list if you dropped the minimum to 370 PA, but you've heard of them, too.)"

Thats pretty good company if you ask me? No one here would be complaining if we had gotten ANY one of those players? So why are we complaining about Young?

And Domrowski has paid dividends just by firing Randy Smith. Come on guys lets be realistic this guy should have been gone A long time ago. He has let way to many players go. Just a few Nevin, Bubba Trammell, Louis Gonzalez, Hideo Nomo, And I will add Tony Clark and Juan Encarnacion to that as well, Cause I am hear to tell ya Tony AND Encarnacion would have been better at the plate with Players Like Nevin and Gonzalez in the Lineup.

Jonesy

I don't think Dombrowski really shoudl get credit for firing Smith, seeing as his arrival basically meant Smith was gone eventually. The waiting to fire him until the beginning of the season seems a bit strange to me. I do want to make it clear that I am a big fan of Dombrowski and what he brings to the organization. I just don't really like alot of the stuff that has come with the start of his tenure.

Having Lu Gone and Nevin would only have superficially improved the other guys stats. Higher RBI totals and higher R totals. But in terms of actual production it wouldn't have made any difference.

It's not that I don't think Higginson is overpaid. He is. But Higginson is also a significantly better player than Young. Higginson plays a tougher defensive position (he plays LF and can play RF) and he plays that position much better than Young plays any position. He also is a better hitter than Young (10 points of OBP and 10 points of SLG). So if we are gonna overpay for one, I'd overpay for Higgy. Higgy really doesn't have a place on this team, since his decline is gonna start before Youngs and well before our next competitive team. He should be traded, but he shouldn't be the top guy on the list to be traded (see Palmer, Dean or Easley, Damion).

Jason Stark is the master of the multiple endpoint fallacy. The problems with his statements are

1) BA is not a good representation of a players offensive value. Young has the lowest OBP of anyone on that list, and has less power than any OF on the list.

2) What does four years have to do with anything? It's a chosen endpoint used to make a point. It doesn't have any statistical significance. What happens when it is changed to 5 years? 3 years?

I would probably complain if we got Pudge Rodriguez, because offensively he is an overrated commodity (value very BA oriented) and defensively his positions value is overrated. And catchers simply do not continue to perform into their 30's. Even the best catchers suffer a fall out. Piazza might be the exception, but I'm not counting on seeing two of them ni the same decade. Pudge's recent injury problems are a sign to come IMO.

I think Dombrowski was brought in to see if he could confirm what others have been saying all along. That Smith was a victim of the Peter Principle and that Garner just doesn't handle the poor talent given to him very well, aka doing their jobs poorly with a track record to prove it beyond any doubt.

He, Dombrowski, was hired as an outside consultant given inside authority, immediately, to do whatever he thought necessary to turn things around. His first two major decisions were absolute gems and I don't know how anyone can see things differently. Look at the record of the two involved, it's living proof they deserved their fate.

It's about results. The record, proof.

If those were Dombrowski's first two major decisions, then I agree completely. If he wass just letting Smith do his job and trying to get an idea if we could win with Smith, then I can't really fault DD for anythign he has done.

Well we don't know how much influence DD had on Smith's decesions but it sounded from Smith comments at the firing that he was allowed the freedom to do his job. That being said DD was still the president and still had final say and I have to believe when you sign a guy to a long term contract like Youngs that he endorsed that move that he would have to deal with for so long.