dreg2003

"In Detroit, it was horrible for me. A nightmare." - Darko Millicic

I also think they drafted him becuase they were unquestionably in the position to take the best player available, and many teams believed he was the #2 pick.

Yeah, and yet, like I have said a million times before -- there were better, safer picks to take: C'Bosh, C'Anthoney, D'Wade -- that made MORE SENSE!

Yeah, and yet, like I have said a million times before -- there were better, safer picks to take: C'Bosh, C'Anthoney, D'Wade -- that made MORE SENSE!

That has been my argument from the night they drafted Darko, but you always disagreed with me.

That has been my argument from the night they drafted Darko, but you always disagreed with me.

And if you remember, I respected your opinion, but I thought Detroit would groom the kid, you know, like they said they were going to do...

For them to do what they did, it makes no sense to me, so the way I see it, they should have taken a much safer pick, one that could help the team now.

If you go back, I was more high on Chris Bosh than anyone was on the next "Glenn Robinson" C'Anthony, but I did like what I read about Darko, but again, I thought they would actually groom the kid, which they didn't do, couldn't do, fact is -- they didn't. I am not happy with how all this ended.

And if you remember, I respected your opinion, but I thought Detroit would groom the kid, you know, like they said they were going to do...

For them to do what they did, it makes no sense to me, so the way I see it, they should have taken a much safer pick, one that could help the team now.

If you go back, I was more high on Chris Bosh than anyone was on the next "Glenn Robinson" C'Anthony, but I did like what I read about Darko, but again, I thought they would actually groom the kid, which they didn't do, couldn't do, fact is -- they didn't. I am not happy with how all this ended.

I'm not happy either. As much as I dogged the pick and Darko, I thought hanging onto him was the better move.

The Pistons made a plan on draft day 2003 that they never followed up on from day one when Larry Brown was bad mouthing him on Letterman to the day they traded him away. They never made a good-faith effort to bring him along.

From a Chad Ford chat:

Michael (Windermere, FL): Chad, what do you think of the Magic trade for Darko Milicic now? I've watched the last 4 Magic games, and it appears that all he needed was some minutes to show what he can do! It looks to me that it was a great move by the Magic. Do you agree?

Chad Ford: I thought he's looked pretty good. It's good to see that energy and some of that nastiness I saw in Serbia a few years ago coming out again. His per minutes numbers have been great. The rust has come off a little earlier than I expected. He's just 20 years old so to me, there's still a lot of upside left. He just needs to get into better shape. I think the Magic will play him more minutes when his conditioning gets better.

Looks like the move is paying off great for the Magic . . . But if I'm Joe Dumars I'm looking at Flip Saunders and asking him why, given what we've seen in Orlando, Darko couldn't have done that for the Pistons. Maybe he needed a fresh start or maybe he just needed minutes. That's what happens when you judge guys before you actually see them play.

As much as we all like to think Joe is a genuis, a lot also has to do with luck. Listen he is the best GM in the league, but I don't think he even thought he would have 5 starters that are all allstar caliber players that he is goin to have to pay an average 10 mil per year. He never backed down that Darko would be a great player in this league as soon as he got some playing time, I just think he felt by the time Darko showed anything it would be to late and he wouldn't be able to sign him and get nothing for him like he did for Memo. Don't get me wrong the whole situation frustrates me also with the way everyone in that draft has turned out, but when you win a championship, come within minutes of another, and have the best record in the league I really can't be that upset. Its not like we don't have young players with a lot of upside, Delfino, Maxiel, Amir, Acker, and a possible lottery pick. I am just glad the Darko era is gone and we can focus on winning championships instead of giving a young player more time.

As much as we all like to think Joe is a genuis, a lot also has to do with luck. Listen he is the best GM in the league, but I don't think he even thought he would have 5 starters that are all allstar caliber players that he is goin to have to pay an 10 mil per year. He never backed down that Darko would be a great player in this league as soon as he got some playing time, I just think he felt by the time Darko showed anything it would be to late and he wouldn't be able to sign him and get nothing for him like he did for Memo. Don't get me wrong the whole situation frustrates me also with the way everyone in that draft has turned out, but when you win a championship, come within minutes of another, and have the best record in the league I really can't be that upset. Its not like we don't have young players with a lot of upside, Delfino, Maxiel, Amir, Acker, and a possible lottery pick. I am just glad the Darko era is gone and we can focus on winning championships instead of giving a young player more time. Sorry for the repeat post, I meant to edit it.

i'm guessing the last paragraph is your comments 84?

Nope, that was Chad Ford all the way.

His comments, but actually, yeah... sort of my sentiments also... exactly...

...Its not like we don't have young players with a lot of upside, Delfino, Maxiel, Amir, Acker, and a possible lottery pick...

How many of those are 7-footers?

Joe has said before, you don't win in this game without big men. I think he's right.

We're winning because of Sheed & Ben & Prince. I know Rip & CB score the points and hit the game-winning shots (usually), but we don't win w/o Ben & Sheed. Darko was our BEST chance to continue that into the future...

I'm thinking... if Joe wants cap space... then why not after the season, trade Davis ($3.5 mill?, expiring contract - very attractive), Arroyo (or at the deadline... trading him is not as time sensitive...)? Joe's got more than enough cap space, and if he were really desperate, he could trade Maxiell and McDyess too. Dice has 1 year + a player option, but he is a replaceable player, and his contract plus size/athletic ability, is enough of an attraction that someone will give us a 2nd round pick for him. Especially a team like Atlanta, who's short on size and size-with-experience.

Holding onto and developing Darko is more important (IMO), then an additional year or two of Davis and Dice (AFTER we win the championship again this year... of course!!!). Both are replaceable (for example, Cato is a FA after this season, and signable at a mid-level or veteran's min contract...). Darko is NOT replaceable. And... as you can see by his numbers at Orlando, he is ALREADY a better option than Dice not only for the long-term, but POSSIBLY right now.

I don't understand why Joe couldn't wait until after the season to figure out the team's future path - Darko/cap/resign and extend Ben & Billups/trade guys/etc... - before hitting the (I won't call it "panic", I don't think Joe panicked...) "Jump-the-Gun"-Button.

Keeping tabs on Darko (from the Orlando Sentinal):

link: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/basketball/magic/orl-magic0306mar03,0,2024995.story?coll=orl-magic

Putting pillars in place

Magic big men Dwight Howard and Darko Milicic work well together.

Brian Schmitz | Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted March 3, 2006

PHOENIX -- A half-dozen games into his career rebirth with the Orlando Magic, Darko Milicic doesn't just look like a sleeper. He looks like a keeper.

Veteran Grant Hill gives him two thumbs up. While Hill's opinion counts a lot, Milicic's fate likely will be determined, in part, by young Dwight Howard. All that matters is this: Can Milicic coexist alongside Howard and make the club's future centerpiece a better player? The very early returns say he can.

Asked if he likes playing with Milicic, Howard's eyes light up. "I like it," Howard said. "He plays hard. He's going to look for me inside. Don't tell anybody, but Darko really wants to be a point guard." Milicic would be the world's tallest point guard at 7 feet. Asked about playing with Howard, Milicic said, "I feel very comfortable. Dwight's strong player. It will get better between us. I'm just trying to find my role."

It's way too early to refer to Dwight and Darko as the "Twin Towers." The 20-year-olds are all but going through the "Terrible Twos" as relative NBA toddlers. Milicic is still in a honeymoon period with the Magic, who face the Phoenix Suns tonight. He has to disprove the Detroit doubters who questioned his desire and work ethic after he was traded by the Pistons.

Howard has been starting since his rookie season and has improved steadily, leading the league in rebounding this season. But he has yet to become a dependable offensive force or a go-to guy in the clutch. Howard had four turnovers in a 98-94 loss to the Golden State Warriors on Wednesday, two in a telltale fourth quarter. The Magic (20-37) needed to make a couple big plays but were outscored 34-24 in the period. Howard fumbled a ball out of bounds with Orlando trailing 90-86 with 43 seconds left. He finished with 17 points and grabbed 12 rebounds but afterward was shaking his head about his faux pas. He did, though, work nicely with Milicic in the second and third quarters.

What impresses Howard is Milicic's innate basketball sense, his ability to see the floor and pass the ball. Getting the ball inside to Howard wouldn't seem like a difficult task. But at times this season, it has ranked right up there with deciphering quantum physics. Sometimes teammates look for their own jump shot or give up when Howard is crowded by opposing players. Sometimes, Howard doesn't make a strong post move to be available for an entry pass. Playing without the ball, Howard was working his way to the basket against the Warriors. He spotted Milicic driving to the baseline. Howard moved toward the rim, and in a flash, Milicic delivered the ball to him for the score. A perfect strike. No other Magic big man can create that type of play off the dribble for Howard.

"They look really good," Grant Hill said. "Give them time to work together, and they'll be a good tandem for a long time."

Although this is Milicic's unveiling -- he seldom played with the Pistons the past two-plus seasons -- he has a promising multifaceted game to complement Howard's tower of power. Milicic actually is more advanced offensively than Howard, who arrived directly from high school. Coach Brian Hill said Milicic's exposure to the fundamentals preached in the European game benefited him. "That's the coaching Darko got in Serbia," Hill said. A left-handed shooter with long arms, Milicic showed an array of moves against Golden State. Howard also tried to expand his game and hit a 16-foot jumper and a running hook shot. Maybe Howard can learn from Milicic.

"All that stuff is in my game," Howard said. "I've always been able to do that. I have confidence in myself." And, it appears Howard has confidence in Milicic, too.

Ugly game for Darko today:

Date Min's Pts Fgm/A 3pt's FT's R's St's Bl's A's TO's

2/24/06 22 8 3/4 0/0 2/2 5 0 2 1 1
2/26/06 19 6 2/5 0/0 2/2 3 2 4 1 2
2/28/06 24 6 3/6 0/0 0/0 7 1 3 1 1
3/01/06 26 12 6/7 0/0 0/1 9 0 2 2 0
3/03/06 25 8 4/9 0/0 0/0 10 0 0 0 4

Thanks Brent. I now have coffee to clean up.

This could very well be my last visit to this thread. It's tiresome and pointless.

Have fun everyone else. Don't drive yourselves too mad.

I just like keeping this thread alive because I dont' think I've ever seen a Pistons thread go this long.

As bad a game as it was for Darko, he still grabbed 10 boards in 26 mins...that's pretty good.

Not to beat a dead horse but... :grin:

Date Min's Pts Fgm/A 3pt's FT's R's St's Bl's A's TO's

2/24/06 22 8 3/4 0/0 2/2 5 0 2 1 1
2/26/06 19 6 2/5 0/0 2/2 3 2 4 1 2
2/28/06 24 6 3/6 0/0 0/0 7 1 3 1 1
3/01/06 26 12 6/7 0/0 0/1 9 0 2 2 0
3/03/06 25 8 4/9 0/0 0/0 10 0 0 0 4
3/04/06 21 7 3/5 0/0 1/2 3 1 3 1 2

3 more blocks, the guys an animal.

Yep, with 3 rebounds and 3 blocks in 21 minutes, he's becoming Theo Ratliff - the guy we got the draft pick for in the first place. Pretty vicious if you ask me.

/end sarcasm

Yep, with 3 rebounds and 3 blocks in 21 minutes, he's becoming Theo Ratliff - the guy we got the draft pick for in the first place. Pretty vicious if you ask me.

/end sarcasm

Otis Thorpe

/end sarcasm

Otis thorpe?

at any rate, my contribution:

deadhorse.gif

/end sarcasm

His 3 blocks were all in the first minute of that game if I remember correctly.

My bad on the comparison. /ducks head in shame

Either way, my sarcasm still stands. I guess I could have just said that he was becoming Joel Pryzbilla...does that excite anyone?