dreg2003

"In Detroit, it was horrible for me. A nightmare." - Darko Millicic

I should have qualified my original statement by saying he cant play for the Pistons right now. I am on record as saying this was a horrible trade.

Ok. Although I think he could have played for the Pistons right now.

Then why draft him in the first place?

WOW -- THANK YOU!!

Did no one read my last post?

Come on, people -- Detroit had plenty of players to pick from, there were players that were oh so considered the "safer bet", but Dumars wanted the kid with the most potential, after LeBron James, and you know what, he got just that, but tell me, why do that, if you know the path you wanted to take?

They should have taken Chris Bosh, who had one year at Georgia Tech, not as much upside as Darko, heading into the draft, but a better, safer pick.

They should have, but -- hey, guess what -- THEY DID NOT!

No, you can be a star all your life without being the star of your pro team. Sebastien Telfair has been a star all his life. Yet, he's not the star of the Blazers. He's still a star in the way he's been treated. I think it's the same way with Darko. Everyone knew who he was on that team. He wasn't playing major minutes, but he was still a star.

Correction, Telfair was a star up until he played with the Blazers. Nobody has ever confused Telfair as a NBA star.

Ok. Although I think he could have played for the Pistons right now.

So why didn't he? I can see one coach not playing him, but two? Or are you suggesting he be force fed minutes regardless of his output?

So why didn't he? I can see one coach not playing him, but two? Or are you suggesting he be force fed minutes regardless of his output?

Well, why COULDN'T he? Does the ball bounce off the rim differently when the Magic are playing? If he can rebound, shoot, and block shots for them, I don't see why he couldn't do the same here. It'd be one thing if he was struggling, being on a crappy team he could be "force fed" minutes. That's what is usually referred to when contrasting being able to play on a good or bad team. Dwight Howard could certainly play for the Pistons, right, even though he's only producing on a bad team? Darko isn't D-Howard but if he's also producing (less, but still), that has to translate. Same competition, same rules.

To be honest, I'm not sure Darko isn't already better than McDyess. Heresy, I know.

Here's what I see used as the reasoning for bashing this trade... please tell me where I'm incorrect:

a) Speculation that Darko's current stats will continue, as if a league full of pros can't adjust once there's more than 30 seconds of game tape on a player.

b) No mention whatsoever of the possibility that the draft pick Detroit got in return being as good, if not a better player than Darko.

c) Denial of the reality, as Joe Dumars said in his interview, that he needed the money to resign Ben and Chauncey, who have already demonstrated that they can win a title.

e) that Darko could have done what he is doing now in Detroit, and it would have been an improvement over option 1,2, or 3 which are putting up better, and equal stats to Darko.

f) That Darko could do what he is doing in Orlando in Detroits offense better than those who have had a boatload of PT in Detroit's offense, which is also speculation.

g) denial of reality, as Dumars has said, that developing Darko is not compatible with the goals of this championship team, in the now.

There's more, but I'm too lazy right now.

Well, why COULDN'T he? Does the ball bounce off the rim differently when the Magic are playing? If he can rebound, shoot, and block shots for them, I don't see why he couldn't do the same here.

Maybe its a different offensive and defensive scheme than is run in Orlando.

Neither I nor you know the answer to that question. We can only speculate.

I think if they gave him minutes, he'd produce decent results. If they actually ran a play or two for him, he'd be fine.

I saw him get decent minutes in a game three times (I'm in Chicago so I don't get to see them that often). Once against Sacramento and he did just fine. Once against Miami and he did just fine. And once against Atlanta where he did just fine (albeit against a horrible team).

My major point is, he is an asset. A valuable asset. A guy who has the potential to be in the league for 10 years at a high level. I think if you have something as valuable as that, you develop it. I don't think they did. I think they put the present above the future when I don't think they had to.

The only way this trade makes sense for me is if it was a dictat from Davidson that he wasn't paying the luxury tax no matter what. So they had to deal him considering what they'll have to give Wallace next year and Billups the year after. Other than that, it makes no sense.

Well, why COULDN'T he? Does the ball bounce off the rim differently when the Magic are playing? If he can rebound, shoot, and block shots for them, I don't see why he couldn't do the same here. It'd be one thing if he was struggling, being on a crappy team he could be "force fed" minutes. That's what is usually referred to when contrasting being able to play on a good or bad team. Dwight Howard could certainly play for the Pistons, right, even though he's only producing on a bad team? Darko isn't D-Howard but if he's also producing (less, but still), that has to translate. Same competition, same rules.

To be honest, I'm not sure Darko isn't already better than McDyess. Heresy, I know.

Because the Pistons have more talent then Orlando. I'm not saying Darko couldn't do that here, I am saying that Detroit already has people that do it better then he does. Dwight Howard on the Magic is a great player, Dwight Howard on the Pistons is a bench player.

My major point is, he is an asset. A valuable asset.

But he wasn't traded away for a rack of WNBA balls... he was traded away for a pick which could be just as much of an asset, and the ability to re-sign 2 much more important assets.

But he wasn't traded away for a rack of WNBA balls... he was traded away for a pick which could be just as much of an asset, and the ability to re-sign 2 much more important assets.

I haven't seen anything that sayd they could not have signed Wallace and Billups without trading Darko.

The chances of that pick being the #2 in the draft are next to none. And the chances of that pick being in a draft with the level of talent that was in Darko's draft are not that good either.

I haven't seen anything that sayd they could not have signed Wallace and Billups without trading Darko.

Check the summary of the interview w/ Dumars that I posted:

- 10-12 million under made him comfortable. 15 under is "huge to me" (his words) - he can spend up to 4 million on another PG, and still have money to take care of Ben and Billups this summer.

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35394

The chances of that pick being the #2 in the draft are next to none.

There's also a good reason to believe that the 07 draft is going to be stacked big time, because its the first year after the age limit...

And the chances of that pick being in a draft with the level of talent that was in Darko's draft are not that good either.

Finding someone who can average what darko is averaging right now is difficult? :wink: Seriously, I do think that finding someone who's as talented as YOU think Darko is would be pretty difficult. :classic:

Maybe its a different offensive and defensive scheme than is run in Orlando.

In my opinion, Detroit's defensive scheme was Darko's biggest challenge this season. He certainly has the physical talent and the length to excel in the scheme but he didn't have the experience, including the knowledge of the league and ability to anticipate. The Pistons entire defense evolves around the ability of their big man...they make up for a lot of the perimeter defensive weaknesses.

Check the summary of the interview w/ Dumars that I posted:

Again, there's nothing in that inteview that says they couldn't have resigned Wallace and Billups and retained Darko for at least one more year.

I think Dumars is talking to protect Davidson. Which he should do. I think davidson told him that he wasn't paying the luxury tax, so fix it.

There's also a good reason to believe that the 07 draft is going to be stacked big time, because its the first year after the age limit...

There's no guarantee the Pistons will get the pick in 2007? Correct? I'm not sure of the exact parameters of the deal. But I'm pretty sure we're not going to end up with the #2 pick in the draft again. Right?

Seriously, I do think that finding someone who's as talented as YOU think Darko is would be pretty difficult.

I find it hard to believe that people think darko isn't talented. We shall see how it works out in Orlando. If think he'll average 12 and 8 with 4 assists and a couple blocks next year as a 21 year old in the NBA if he gets 25-30 a game.

This trade was bad for the Pistons but I do believe it was a necessity. I personally think Davidson mandated to Dumars that he had no interest in paying the luxery tax. Also, I think people are undervaluing what will hopefully be a lottery pick. Also, indications were that Milicic had essentially given up on trying in Detroit because he saw any effort as futile. Also, I think that unfortunately Dumars has too much class and respect for his coach's to try and convince them to think of the longterm instead of just that day's game. Its a good quality to have but I think in this case it cost us a future star.

However, my question is: Is Darko Milicic better than Antonio McDyess right now?

With McDyess' defensive shortcomings I think this may be a real possiblity.

Again, there's nothing in that inteview that says they couldn't have resigned Wallace and Billups and retained Darko for at least one more year.

I think Dumars is talking to protect Davidson. Which he should do. I think davidson told him that he wasn't paying the luxury tax, so fix it.

Perhaps you are correct, becuase he obviously could have just kept him and paid the luxury tax... but, to stay under the cap, they would have had to jettison someone, and they chose Darko.

There's no guarantee the Pistons will get the pick in 2007? Correct? I'm not sure of the exact parameters of the deal. But I'm pretty sure we're not going to end up with the #2 pick in the draft again. Right?

Its top-5 protected in 07. If it's #6 in 07 draft (lets say), it could very well be a very good pick because of the depth of that draft.

Its possible that it could be #2 in '08.

However, I don't believe that Darko is an overall #2 value now, even though that's where he was picked. I mean, how many people have we heard say that Detroit was stupid for taking him there, since he was picked? This has got to be included in any comparison of the draft pick that we got with Darko's value.

I find it hard to believe that people think darko isn't talented. We shall see how it works out in Orlando. If think he'll average 12 and 8 with 4 assists and a couple blocks next year as a 21 year old in the NBA if he gets 25-30 a game.

I don't think he's not talented... I just don't think he's as talented (and fits in as well) as what Detroit already has.

Ok. I am going to say that I am a Darko supporter and that I am going to be very happy if Darko makes it in this league. That said the trading of Darko had nothing to do with Joe thinking Darko sucked. It was to get rid of Arroyo's crappy contract so they'll be able to keep the starting 5. Darko was really the only piece of the team that was good enough to trade for value and that the team could get away trading. Could this be a Smoltz/Alexander deal? Yeah, but in the NBA it's easier to play for the now than the other sports.

Will this be a Smoltz/Alexander deal? Yeah

So, Darko is Smoltz now, after only 4 games in Orlando??? Wow...

With cut and pasting abilities like that, you should work for the paper.

With cut and pasting abilities like that, you should work for the paper.

With those editing skills, you should be an editor.

FWIW, it wasn't cutting and pasting - it was quoting. The fact that you changed the fundamental meaning of your original statement after I responded to it doesn't change that.

I don't get that thinking either. I will be interested to see how he does on April 7th against the Pistons.

I don't get that thinking either. I will be interested to see how he does on April 7th against the Pistons.

Fool Inc didn't believe it either - that's why he changed "will" to "could". However, if someone really thinks this is like Smoltz/Alexander, I can understand why they are against it... but, they'd also be wrong, because it isn't even close.

Detroit will probably lose, because apparently there's going to be an 86 year curse on the Pistons for trading Darko.

It's not like Smoltz/Alexander because Alexander actually helped the Tigs