dreg2003

"In Detroit, it was horrible for me. A nightmare." - Darko Millicic

Unrelated... but figure this as good a place as any for this:

Remember Glyniadakis??? He was playing in the NBDL this year!!! (just got released from Albuqerque... don't know why.... his stats seemed OK... for a 7-1 280# Center....):

2005-06 Statistics

Team G GS MPG FGM-A FG% FTM-A FT% Rb's APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
ABQ 14 6 22.6 59-98 .602 40-44 .909 4.9 0.2 0.57 1.43 2.14 4.07 11.3
ROA 15 10 17.9 36-78 .462 42-51 .824 3.8 0.5 0.00 1.07 1.33 3.53 7.6

"It's going to take some time. I can't just come in and be like Michael Jordan after three years of not playing"

that's ridiculous... ludicrous to even say.

That's a pretty scary thought. Otherwise, in the article, it really seems like Darko learned the value of unselfish ball while in Detroit...

Orlando's gonna be dangerous within 2 years...

that's ridiculous... ludicrous to even say.

It's not ridiculous...

Another potshot at LB and his playing time, and maybe even Flip.... but it's certainly not inaccurate.

It might be incomplete...

...as he failed to mention his part in his lack of playing time!

But it's not inaccurate... or ludicrous...

It's not ridiculous...

Another potshot at LB and his playing time, and maybe even Flip.... but it's certainly not inaccurate.

It might be incomplete...

...as he failed to mention his part in his lack of playing time!

But it's not inaccurate... or ludicrous...

no, I mean its ludicrous to compare one's self to Michael Jordan. I agree w/ you... but I was just talking about him being Michael Jordan. He's like 3 games from huge bust, nowhere close to Jordan. that's a traveshamockery.

no, I mean its ludicrous to compare one's self to Michael Jordan. I agree w/ you... but I was just talking about him being Michael Jordan. He's like 3 games from huge bust, nowhere close to Jordan. that's a traveshamockery.

Exactly.

He's just saying you can't expect him to be a superstar right away. Geez, seriously...

He's just saying you can't expect him to be a superstar right away.

in the most ridiculous manner possible.... :classic:

Update:

Date Min's Pts Fgm/A 3pt's FT's R's St's Bl's A's TO's

2/24/06 22 8 3/4 0/0 2/2 5 0 2 1 1
2/26/06 19 6 2/5 0/0 2/2 3 2 4 1 2
2/28/06 24 6 3/6 0/0 0/0 7 1 3 1 1

I still think trading him this early in his career was a mistake.

I'm in full agreement, although I still think he never would have amounted to anything in Detroit. Just like in an episode of the Colbert Report the other day. It was the right thing to do when you think about it, but it goes against your gut feelings. Gotta imagine contributing like that here would go a long way to keeping our big men fresh in the playoffs. Then again, maybe a few more losses so who knows.

I know their potential was not the same, but they were both top 10 draft picks. I felt the same way about Rodney White. I didn't want to see him go, but it was a good move to pull that trigger. Darko is in the same vein. He still has worth in the NBA and has been near worthless for the Pistons. Joe D pulled the trigger at the right time IMO.

If we would have kept Darko, what do you think the chances of us resigning him would have been? I think it was near a sure thing that he was going to fly out of this town the first opportunity he would have gotten. Even if he develops into an All-Star calibre player, the Pistons had no shot of keeping him here long term IMO anyway. The trade was necessary and we will probably get the short end of the stick on it, but IMO we got the most we could out of a bad deal.

I was just looking at the magic-lakers box score. I had a question that when answered just made me ask another question. How does a team shoot 52% and lose by 15? And in answer to that, how does a team take 25 more shots than another team. That's just ridiculous.

I was just looking at the magic-lakers box score. I had a question that when answered just made me ask another question. How does a team shoot 52% and lose by 15? And in answer to that, how does a team take 25 more shots than another team. That's just ridiculous.

offensive rebounds maybe?

Update:

Yes, he's looking better each game actually. I predict in the next week or two he will be inserted into Orlando's starting lineup, and no one will be taking it down the lane against Orlando. Darko/Howard are shot blocking machines.

Update:

I think making this statement based on the box-score of 3 games is a mistake.

Anyway, he's obviously not currently a better player than Sheed, Ben, or McDyess, so he wasn't going to get minutes anytime soon. That means he wasn't going to stay here, so we would have gotten nothing out of the deal. At least Joe managed to get us another first rounder out of it (basically, a "do-over") and not wind up with a total loss.

Why couldn't he have gotten minutes? If he got 15 mins a game maybe Sheed, Prince and Ben would only be averaging 33 mins a game rather than 36-38. Just a thought.

Why couldn't he have gotten minutes? If he got 15 mins a game maybe Sheed, Prince and Ben would only be averaging 33 mins a game rather than 36-38. Just a thought.

This is correct. We had basically clinched home court in the east by the time the trade was made so there isn't any reason to believe he couldn't have received decent minutes here. I understand maybe the coaches and management were no longer thrilled with him, but he still seemed to have the backing of the players. I'm glad he's looking good through his first few games and I really hope to see him as an All-Star player. I pretty much just would like to see the writers that put him among the worst draft picks ever and/or agreed with such statements, when he's still 20 years old, have to eat their words.

I guess I should have said: "He's not currently better than Sheed, Ben, McDyess, or Dale Davis. And it's questionable whether or not he's better than Maxiell. Therefore he wasn't going to get minutes anytime soon."

Also, most star players in this league average close to 40 minutes a game. Sheed (35.7) and Ben (36.3) are averaging less than just about every other All-Star in the league. They're right where they should be. McDyess is only averaging 19.7 - perfect for your 6th man.

Tay shouldn't even enter into this conversation. Darko cannot play the 3. No way, no how. Tay is backed up by Mo and Carlos, so if he's playing to many minutes (which he's not at 36.2), then that's on Flip to utilize those guys better. Either way, it wasn't going to get Darko any playing time, that's for sure.

That could be the difference between victory and defeat though.

There's nothing questionable about him being better than Dale Davis or Jason Maxiell. He is. You make McDyess the backup PF and Darko the backup C, they can both get double-digit minutes and Ben and Sheed can stay around the same minutes. McDyess doesn't need 20 mpg.

That could be the difference between victory and defeat though.

And extra rest could be the difference between a championship or runner-up status.

I guess I should have said: "He's not currently better than Sheed, Ben, McDyess, or Dale Davis. And it's questionable whether or not he's better than Maxiell. Therefore he wasn't going to get minutes anytime soon."

Also, most star players in this league average close to 40 minutes a game. Sheed (35.7) and Ben (36.3) are averaging less than just about every other All-Star in the league. They're right where they should be. McDyess is only averaging 19.7 - perfect for your 6th man.

Tay shouldn't even enter into this conversation. Darko cannot play the 3. No way, no how. Tay is backed up by Mo and Carlos, so if he's playing to many minutes (which he's not at 36.2), then that's on Flip to utilize those guys better. Either way, it wasn't going to get Darko any playing time, that's for sure.

I agree with this fully.

Also, for those that are/were against this trade, I ask this: Knowing that a championship window is open for only a limited time, do you keep Ben or Darko? I think that's what it boils down to. IMO, in no way do you sacrifice the heart and soul of this team, while the championship window open, for an unproven young player for the future.

Is this trade really more complicated than that? It was Ben or Darko... and the correct choice was made.

McDyess' contract would have expired when Darko was up for a long-term deal, and Darko would have taken his spot. Salary cap concerns are not real here.

If you think saving a few million in luxury tax was worth giving up a 20 year old with Darko's talent, then we have a different problem.