dreg2003

"In Detroit, it was horrible for me. A nightmare." - Darko Millicic

When Darko starts producing better than the bottom 5% of the league, that's when I may start caring what he has to say about the Pistons. Until then, he's just a spoiled brat who's had better season ticket seats than I have for the last 3 years...and he didn't even have to pay for them!

from Chad Ford chat.

Jonathan (Richmond, Ind.): Why trade for Darko and not play him?

I know it's only been two games, but a DNP and four minutes?

I first thought maybe they wanted to work him in and such, but Arroyo is getting burn already.

What's going on?

Chad Ford: I don't get it either.

They gave up a lottery pick for him and they have roughly a season and a half to see if he can play.

This is the problem with some NBA coaches. They can't see anything but the present.

Brian Hill's job security would be so much higher if he finds away to develop Darko into a legit player. Instead, even though the chances of the Magic making the playoffs this year are slim to none, he plays all veterans trying to eke out wins against the Cavs and Nets. The team loses both games, Darko doesn't play. What have they gained?

I know the GMs in Orlando aren't happy. It's tough to tell a coach what to do ... but I have a feeling that talk is coming.

His best article ever.
I second that emotion!

You got a third here.

It's funny how he can pull an occassional good article from somewhere, and the fact that, in my opinion, when he's on ESPN for whatever reason, he's actually pretty decent. Go fig.

Darko had 2+ years on a championship level team to learn how to think and act like a professional. He apparently learned nothing.

It's hard to destroy a guy that doesn't have what it takes to begin with. IMO, Darko was overrated and the Pistons screwed up by taking him. He'll be lucky to stay in the league, and getting rid of him was a good move. Adios, sucker.

2-24-06. Darko: 22 minutes, 8 points on 3/4 shooting, 2/2 on FT's, 5 Reb's, 1 assist - 1 TO, 2 blocks.

The Darko progress report thread...

Oh, and PS:

lol - that article sucked !

Benke, it was Sharp's best article that I've ever seem him write, and he wasn't wrong. Basically, quit complaining Darko, stop blaming others, and just prove you belong. Nothing wrong with stating that... and if Darko gets it, he'll start kicking ask. Like the stat-line I listed just above...

what's wrong with you?

I don't have a man crush on Darko so big that all reason can't break through? Because I'm pretty sure that's what's wrong with you.

:classic:

Until then, he's just a spoiled brat who's had better season ticket seats than I have for the last 3 years...and he didn't even have to pay for them!

That's the best description I've heard of Darko yet.

I have a man crush on Jonathan Vilma, not Darko, get it straight. I simply remember that he was a member of the team I rooted for so I didn't just decide to hate him and hope for his failure since the very start like you seemed to have.

The Darko progress report thread...

Redshark is doing this in another thread.... but I like my format better:

Date Min's Pts Fgm/A 3pt's FT's R's St's Bl's A's TO's

2/24/06 22 8 3/4 0/0 2/2 5 0 2 1 1
2/26/06 19 6 2/5 0/0 2/2 3 2 4 1 2

Redshark is doing this in another thread.... but I like my format better:

Date Min's Pts Fgm/A 3pt's FT's R's St's Bl's A's TO's

2/24/06 22 8 3/4 0/0 2/2 5 0 2 1 1
2/26/06 19 6 2/5 0/0 2/2 3 2 4 1 2

It's all yours, man. One thread for following him is plenty.

Heh. It's sort of like Darko was just fine as a regular bench contributor and other crap about him being undeserving was just rationalization.

Heh. It's sort of like Darko was just fine as a regular bench contributor and other crap about him being undeserving was just rationalization.

What rationalization is needed?

Bottom line was that he did not earn time with this team, its depth, and this system. Orlando has a opening for him to play/learn and is obviously not as deep or talented.

BTW, let's just let this play out before we pass judgment either way. 2-3 games does not tell us much of anything.

What rationalization is needed?

The frontcourt starters play too many minutes and would be best served by more rest. Darko performs relatively as well or better than Arroyo did, or Hunter/Evans do, but he wasn't allowed to help the team, because he didn't show enough effort in 25 point blowouts. Great, let's make a point based on an American conception of work ethic. I'd rather play the guy that can help, regardless of how he plays during BS time with guards playing out of control. Whatever helps the team perform as well as it could, that is what should be done, and that would have been playing Darko, a guy that has never shown a lack of effort in real time.

Coaches are stubborn about this and it doesn't make rational sense. When has Darko ever had a lack of effort with meaningful minutes? He obviously has a lot of potential and didn't need to be let go.

The frontcourt starters play too many minutes and would be best served by more rest.

both of these clauses are debatable opinion. I happen to agree, but alas, debatable nonetheless.

Darko performs relatively as well or better than Arroyo did, or Hunter/Evans do, but he wasn't allowed to help the team, because he didn't show enough effort in 25 point blowouts.

If he didn't show enough effort in BS time, then he's a complete,total, thorough, moron. Who's fault is that? His own. To me, that's a total character issue. Why should he be granted playing time, when he isn't trying when he's out there, and its at the expense of other players who are obviously more productive?

Further, you're comparing apples and oranges comparing him to players in the backcourt.

Also, I don't think he was stripped of an opportunity to help the team - I think he couldn't help the team as much as the 3 (or 4) big men in the rotation ahead of him.

As Joe D said in his 1270 interview - the Pistons aren't in the position to develop a player right now. The window is only open for so long, and this move was clearly a move to hold the window open longer.

Great, let's make a point based on an American conception of work ethic. I'd rather play the guy that can help, regardless of how he plays during BS time with guards playing out of control.

This is exactly what the Pistons do. They play Sheed, Ben, McDyess, and now apparently Dale Davis regardless of what they do in BS time.

If he didn't show enough effort in BS time, then he's a complete,total, thorough, moron. Who's fault is that? His own. To me, that's a total character issue. Why should he be granted playing time, when he isn't trying when he's out there, and its at the expense of other players who are obviously more productive?

He's just a 20 year old with a chip on his shoulder. He played fine when it mattered. I don't see the connection between blowouts and minutes when the game is in question. If he can help the team when it matters then I could care less what he does in garbage time, but that's the common refrain of why he didn't deserve playing time. If the actual reason is that he just wasn't good enough to give the starters some rest, well, I think that's just wrong :cry:

He's just a 20 year old with a chip on his shoulder.

OK, I can dig that - but why would you go about rewarding that kind of behavior with increased PT, at the expense of PT for those you know can get the job done? What message does that send to the other people on the team? I think it would be a huge mistake to basically reward pouting with PT - especially when this team is obviously geared toward winning a championship now, and not player development.

[snip]

If the actual reason is that he just wasn't good enough to give the starters some rest, well, I think that's just wrong :cry:

Well, I'm not arguing that he couldn't give the starters some rest. What I think is that he wasn't as good at giving them rest as McDyess and (probably) Dale Davis were.

I really don't see why Flip wouldn't play Darko if he saw him as the #3 or #4 big man on the depth chart. I can't help but believe that Flip didn't see him as #3 or #4.

LB, on the other hand, that's a different story. That's why I think Joe D kept him through this season- because he didn't think LB gave him a fair shake.

Obviously, this is all just my opinion. :classic:

Nice Darko article in Florida Today:

Milicic craves opportunity

Magic want to give big man more minutes

BY JOHN DENTON

FLORIDA TODAY

ORLANDO - The Orlando Magic quickly reversed the ball from one side of the court to the other, catching the Houston defense out of position and setting up Darko Milicic for an open 15-foot jump shot. But just as the ball hit Milicic's hands, it suddenly headed in another direction. Without him even looking, Milicic's touch pass ended up in the hands of Magic center Dwight Howard, who finished with a dunk.

It was just one moment in the Magic's frantic fourth-quarter rally Sunday, but it lent some insight into the enormous promise Orlando sees in the 7-foot Milicic. Despite not playing much the past two-plus seasons while buried on Detroit's bench, Milicic already has shown the kind of instincts and heady play that have the Magic believing he can be the perfect complement to the bruising Howard. More encouraging is the fact that he was willing to pass up a shot so that Howard could have an even better one from point-blank range.

"Even after the first practice with us, you could tell that he just has such a great feel for the game," Magic coach Brian Hill gushed. "It's those types of plays where he sees how the defense is reacting and he's thinking one play ahead. He knows what the play is going to be, even before the ball gets to him. That's priceless. Some guys you can explain it and show them on tape all year long and they never get it. Others just see it and react instinctively."

One of the Magic's missions on the upcoming five-game, eight-day road trip that starts tonight against the Los Angeles Lakers is to ensure that Milicic's minutes continue to climb. Hill hopes to develop the Serbian power forward to the point where he's using the instincts that the Magic are salivating over, rather than having to think his way around the court.

Playing the first meaningful minutes of his NBA career, Milicic has been impressive in his three games since coming to Orlando in the Feb. 15 trade for Kelvin Cato. In 45 minutes of playing time, he has swatted six shots, grabbed eight rebounds and scored 14 points. He has been credited with only two assists, but many of his passes have set up Howard to get to the free-throw line.

Milicic says what he's accomplished so far is just a sliver of what's possible, once he grows more comfortable with his new teammates and surroundings.

"It's going to take some time. I can't just come in and be like Michael Jordan after three years of not playing," Milicic said. "It's still going to take time to get the feeling back, get my conditioning back, get everything back."

The Magic (20-35) are just 1-3 since acquiring Milicic and point guard Carlos Arroyo from Detroit, but that record belies how well the two have played. Arroyo, already a fan favorite because of his Puerto Rican heritage, has averaged 12 points and 3.3 assists.

Hill said Monday he has no plans to change his starting lineup for tonight's game against the Lakers, but that plan could change soon. For now, he likes starting Keyon Dooling for his defensive ball pressure and bringing Arroyo off the bench. As for Milicic, Hill wants the power forward on the floor with Howard as much as possible because of the newcomer's willingness to pass and his ability to shoot from the high post.

Also, Hill said he wants to hold off making a switch at point guard until Jameer Nelson returns from his sprained mid-foot. Nelson has been going through some drills and should be back at practice later this week. He could return to the playing rotation by the end of the road trip.

Just simply being in the rotation is a delight to Milicic, who played just 96 games in his first two-plus NBA seasons. Though he went from one of the NBA's best teams to one of the worst, Milicic looked at the trade as a reprieve. Finally, he said, he has the chance to show what he can do on the court. "I'm just really happy right now because the coach is giving me playing time in the fourth quarter, crunch-time minutes," he said. "I'm trying to give my best to show him how much I appreciate it and show him how much I want to play."

While most are just eager to see if Milicic can thrive against other top NBA players, the Magic are equally interested to see how he coexists with Howard. If the two can play in tandem, it would give the Magic twin 20-year-old 7-footers along their front line.

So far the results have been encouraging.

"Teams are all focused on trying to stop Dwight because he's the key to our team, and that's why a lot of us are open," Milicic said. "I'm just trying to reward him when he's open. He works hard down there and I want to get him the ball whenever I can. I've always been a good passer, and that's something I'm going to try and do the rest of the season. That's one of the best parts of my game."

Contact Denton at jd41898@aol.com

If the two can play in tandem, it would give the Magic twin 20-year-old 7-footers along their front line.

That's a pretty scary thought. Otherwise, in the article, it really seems like Darko learned the value of unselfish ball while in Detroit...

Good article. Good luck to Darko.

I just have to quote this one part again:

"It's going to take some time. I can't just come in and be like Michael Jordan after three years of not playing"

ROFL.