dreg2003

"In Detroit, it was horrible for me. A nightmare." - Darko Millicic

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=260221005

I wish my nightmares consisted me getting paid 4 million bucks a year to sit my underachieving *** in the best seat at the Palace with a NBA championship ring on my finger.

I was just wondering how he did in his debut in Orlando when i saw this quote. If you care, he whent 1-1 with 2 points in about 4 minutes of play. Grant Hill says he will get plenty of time as soon as he learns the system.

Dude, he is a young kid...who became a walking joke, more so amongst his home fans, who cheered him like he was from the special olympics.

...he has a point, gripe all you want about "what he gets paid", but at the end of the day, I would rather hear this over him not caring at all!

I guess I just wasent prepared at all to see something like this, and all of the "fans" including me wanted nothing more than to see him do well in a Pistons uniform, but i suppose I was just talking out of anger.

I don't blame him. He has been a national punchline.

I wish him the best in Orlando.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=260221005

I wish my nightmares consisted me getting paid 4 million bucks a year to sit my underachieving *** in the best seat at the Palace with a NBA championship ring on my finger.

I was just wondering how he did in his debut in Orlando when i saw this quote. If you care, he whent 1-1 with 2 points in about 4 minutes of play. Grant Hill says he will get plenty of time as soon as he learns the system.

I think that was the coach, Brian Hill.

This quote is sour grapes from Milicic, who has no one to blame but himself for how things turned out.

If he had been motivated, he would not have been traded. Period.

This quote is sour grapes from Milicic, who has no one to blame but himself for how things turned out.

If he had been motivated, he would not have been traded. Period.

I don't know about this. Maxiel and Davis give the appearance of being motivated...they don't get off the bench either. Darko was in a horrible place in Detroit. Brown destroyed his confidence in whatever game he brought to the Pistons and it wasn't going to be rebuilt sitting on the bench...which is exactly where any big not named Wallace or McDyess seems to end up in Detroit.

He's not a Piston anymore so I'm not putting any effort into defending him, just as those who atack him put no effort into the argument either. It's very easy to just blame Darko and leave it at that. After all, look at all those teenager 7 footers who came in and contributed to a team with 2 all-star quality players at his position.

I don't know about this. Maxiel and Davis give the appearance of being motivated...they don't get off the bench either. Darko was in a horrible place in Detroit. Brown destroyed his confidence in whatever game he brought to the Pistons and it wasn't going to be rebuilt sitting on the bench...which is exactly where any big not named Wallace or McDyess seems to end up in Detroit.

Would you give the Larry Brown bashing a break. No doubt Brown played a role in the destruction of Darko, but not to the extent you like to remind everyone any chance you get.

How about the front office? They hire a coach who has a notorious reputation for being tough on rookie and not giving them much playing time. Then, their very next step is to draft a high profile rookie. Not a 20-22 year old rookie who has played at the college level, but a European rookie who is 18 and didn't even play much in Europe. Toss in the fact that he is a 7 footer and everyone here seems to think they take longer to develop and you have a nice recipe for failure.

So lets see, hire a coach, then get him players that clash with his style/system. That sounds quite a bit like our good friends down at Ford Field.

I have said this for two years now, but Darko never shoudl have been brought over from Europe when he was. No way was that kid ready for the NBA game, not even as a 12th man. He wasnt ready talent wise, and he wasnt ready maturity wise. If they had lit him play in Europe for 3 years, it would have solved a lot of problems. He would be coming over this summer with valuable playing time under his belt the past 3 years, more confidence and more mature.

The most blame goes to Darko. He didn't care and he didn't try very much. The vast majority of time he was on the court, he looked lost and uninterested. I don't care what time in the game it was, when you get put in, you have to work hard and give an honest effort.

So while Brown did have a role in the problem (and this year Flip did as well), he wasnt nearly as bad as you like to think. The front office had their share of the blame as well, but at the end of the day, it was mostly on Darko.

It's not that simple. There are other factors with Maxiel and Davis than with Darko.

He had been pretty positive for most of his (albeit brief) quotes while he was in Detroit.

My point is, there are things that a person can control, and things they cannot.

Darko was not drafted when the Pistons had Rasheed, and it seems clear that Dumars drafted Darko with the expectation that he could actually help the Pistons.

Once Rasheed was acquired, the whole scenario changed (beyond Darko's control). Nothing he could do there.

However, this pouting business and what seemed to me to be almost total disinterest was NOT out of his control, and that's why he's saying these absurd things now.

The kid was in a bad situation, no doubt. But adversity happens to everyone at some point or another. His behavior suggests that he did not and is not handling it very well.

My sense is that this trade exposed his bad work habits, he's embarrassed, therefore Detroit was a "nightmare".

I'm not buying it.

It's over! Until Darko has his first 20-point, 10-rebound and five-block game and then his threads will start popping up here like Carmello Anthony threads do.

Would you give the Larry Brown bashing a break. No doubt Brown played a role in the destruction of Darko, but not to the extent you like to remind everyone any chance you get.

How about the front office? They hire a coach who has a notorious reputation for being tough on rookie and not giving them much playing time. Then, their very next step is to draft a high profile rookie. Not a 20-22 year old rookie who has played at the college level, but a European rookie who is 18 and didn't even play much in Europe. Toss in the fact that he is a 7 footer and everyone here seems to think they take longer to develop and you have a nice recipe for failure.

So lets see, hire a coach, then get him players that clash with his style/system. That sounds quite a bit like our good friends down at Ford Field.

I have said this for two years now, but Darko never shoudl have been brought over from Europe when he was. No way was that kid ready for the NBA game, not even as a 12th man. He wasnt ready talent wise, and he wasnt ready maturity wise. If they had lit him play in Europe for 3 years, it would have solved a lot of problems. He would be coming over this summer with valuable playing time under his belt the past 3 years, more confidence and more mature.

The most blame goes to Darko. He didn't care and he didn't try very much. The vast majority of time he was on the court, he looked lost and uninterested. I don't care what time in the game it was, when you get put in, you have to work hard and give an honest effort.

So while Brown did have a role in the problem (and this year Flip did as well), he wasnt nearly as bad as you like to think. The front office had their share of the blame as well, but at the end of the day, it was mostly on Darko.

QFT.

last thing I'll say on the subject...as bad as his attitude might have been here, both Brown and Flip had every opportunity to change his attitude. Finding him 5-7 mins every couple of games, not even every game, would have done wonders for him. Using him in the 3rd quarter during blow-outs, a time both Brown and Flip seem averse to putting in back-ups for some ungodly reason, would have done wonders. I don't understand it. I mean, if you have a guy on your team that you want to succeed and he's being a bit of a mope, why not try and build his morale a bit when it's really no skin off of anyones back. I'll never understand the stubborness our coaches showed to giving Darko even the smallest amount of coddling. The only explanation I can come up with is that neither thought much of his game. Actually, in one of the articles after Darko's trade, Flip made the point to say he was going to be a "servicable" player...that's not a rave review to be honest, so maybe he didn't think much of Darko. If that's not the case though, and it was just our coaches being stubborn...well, that's something we're giving Darko a hard time about and he's barely out of his teens, I don't know why it's more acceptable from coaches. Anyway, he's gone now and I still think(even more so now that he's not a Piston and Murphy's Law loves me) he's gonna be a very good player.

last thing I'll say on the subject...as bad as his attitude might have been here, both Brown and Flip had every opportunity to change his attitude. Finding him 5-7 mins every couple of games, not even every game, would have done wonders for him. Using him in the 3rd quarter during blow-outs, a time both Brown and Flip seem averse to putting in back-ups for some ungodly reason, would have done wonders. I don't understand it. I mean, if you have a guy on your team that you want to succeed and he's being a bit of a mope, why not try and build his morale a bit when it's really no skin off of anyones back. I'll never understand the stubborness our coaches showed to giving Darko even the smallest amount of coddling.

My guess would be because its the NBA, not some 6th grade basketball team.

you're right...because teams don't make attempts to assuage players all the time. Sheed is allowed to take 11 3's a game because our coach thinks it's a good idea, not because to get on his ***** about it wouldn't piss him off and risk setting him off. AI's allowed to skip practices because Philly wants him to avoid injury. The Lakers got rid of Shaq because they thought he was all done, not because Kobe was threatening to leave. And before you start making comments like, "these are the top players in the game" their desires are far more hurtful to the team than Darko wanting to play actual real game minutes a few times a month, and Darko being the 2nd pick in the draft puts his value somewhere in that league if not in the league to demand a new coach.

you're right...because teams don't make attempts to assuage players all the time.

Sure they do, if they are giving an honest effort and trying to learn. I doubt Brown or Flip had a problem with a young kid making mistakes, but a young kid not caring or giving an honest effort would bug any coach. Playing someone just because he is sad about not playing is a joke.

yeah, better to trade him away to become an all-star else where(this is assuming for this discussion that the reason is not that they think he won't make it, but just that they don't like his attitude). And not playing someone you want to develop for your future, for any reason at all other than ability, is a joke.

Why don't you give it a break? I responded to a post that if Darko was motivated he wouldn't have been traded. I think that's bunk, he wasn't good enough to be in the Pistons' regular rotation and he wasn't going to get good enough sitting on the bench. The unmotivated Darko knew it too and was motivated to ask for a trade.

By the way, it is not bashing Larry Brown to say he destroyed the kid's confidence. It was a well known opinion around the league that culminated in Billups taking it public last summer. I don't think Brown destroyed Darko (though Billups seemed to when he made his comments) but I do think it helped shape his attitude in Detroit.

It's hard to destroy a guy that doesn't have what it takes to begin with. IMO, Darko was overrated and the Pistons screwed up by taking him. He'll be lucky to stay in the league, and getting rid of him was a good move. Adios, sucker.

It's hard to destroy a guy that doesn't have what it takes to begin with. IMO, Darko was overrated and the Pistons screwed up by taking him. He'll be lucky to stay in the league, and getting rid of him was a good move. Adios, sucker.

what's wrong with you?