Sign in to follow this  
Starflyer

Yet another organizational injury...

Apparently Infante's got back problems and is on the DL. Santiago's up from Erie to take his place.

Could Santiago pass Infante on the depth chart of Tiger organization shortstop prospects?

I think some of you already had him ahead of Infante.

We all know Santiago was ahead of Infante, he just got injured and that set him back. In fact, I had never heard of infante until last season...apparently Santiago was limited to DH duties, but he is back now. If Santiago plays well at triple a then he should stay there and send Infante down to double a. Basically he would be reclaiming his original spot in the organization.

Santiago is a better defensive SS (if healthy) and has better plate discipline, so I have always rated him slightly ahead of Infante, but Infante has always been a level above Santiago.

I see Santiago as the SS of the future with the highest upside, and Woods and Infante battling it out for the 2B spot. But odds are onyl one of the three is gonna develop into a big league hitter (and that is one at the most).

Here what I read awhile ago and dug up from the Peter Gammons archive.

Apolitical blues - April 20th

From an Eastern League scout: "Ramon Santiago (Tigers) is extremely overrated. He's smooth, but he's so small. I don't think he'll ever hit enough to be a regular and his arm is not good enough for shortstop. Seth Greisinger (Tigers) looked very good. Very sharp. He's not overpowering, but he's totally in command of what he's doing and should be a good fourth or fifth starter now."

(It's the 10th bullet down)

Granted Peter Gammon's opinion doesn't mean that much to me but he claims its coming from an Eastern League scout. Just pointing out a negative I've read about Santiago.

Of course they said the same thing about Alan Trammell. His arm might be a problem after the shoulder surgery, but prior to that he had a plus arm. he'll never hit for real power, but his K/BB ratio is almost one and he draws more than 1 walk per 10 AB's. Those are both great indicators of future success with the bat. They are also things scouts tend to overlook.

Also remember, Brian Giles was to short to hit in the majors (and to left handed to ever hit lefties).