OldTimey

Apparantly Weaver Close to Being Traded

Yuh huh. And I want a car that will perform like a Lamborghini. So I should trade my Grand Am for a Hyundai and a Lotto ticket, right?

Nice analogy there Dr. Cobweb.

Actually Weaver has alot of value to a contender. So a trade where we get, say a Jack Cust (not that we need him, just a type of player) works out very good for us, because hitters are much more projectable than pitchers.

I'd also note Oakland has something of a solid offense. While their pitching staff is good, they play in a pitchers park, and the offense is still in the top 3 in the league. Same with Seattle. The parks make them look like a pitching team, but the offense is what really drives them. Cleveland built around offense succesfully. The Yankees did the same (Pettite is the only successfull Yankee starter developed during their run). Developing pitching is nice, but without an offense you can't win and it's easier to build a staff through FA and a lineup through player development than it is the other way around.

The only way it would make sense to trade Weaver would be if we could sucker somebody into giving us somebody better than Weaver in return. Everybody who believes that is going to happen, stand on your head and say "Milt Pappas".

Well, thats not exactly what will happen because nobody picked up Randy Smith, BUT there is one way to do that. If you get a player that is young enough you may get him before he develops, therefore, he will turn out to be a better play than the player he was traded for. For example, Mark Prior is probably going to make it to the major league level much sooner than most pitchers do, so he could end up being better than Weaver. In that case we could get Prior plus another player, so it would be a deal well worth making.

Basically, this is something Dd will look into. Maybe one team will jump out to him as possibly giving up more than expected. If DD projects those players to more valueable to the tigers than weaver then he'll do it. I suspect this would require a pitcher who has the potential to be just as good as weaver, and at least on eposition player who we know will start at the major league level.(see Prior and Patterson)

Robert Fick to Minnesota for Dustan Mohr.

Jeff Weaver to Cincinnati Reds for Austin Kearns and Barry Larkin.

The Reds are in first place and may be looking for a good starter to stay in contention. Their outfield is crowded with Griffey Jr. coming back soon and Dunn, Encarnacion and Kearns all playing well. Larkin could play SS for us until Omar Infante becomes the player we all think he will be. Halter rides the pine due to his shaky defense.

Minnesota has plenty of RF prospects with Brian Buchanan, Michael Cuddyer and Dustan Mohr. I also believe Fick would make a much better DH for Minnesota than David Ortiz.

Higgy plays left, Kearns plays center and Mohr plays right.

We'll have to somehow fill the void left by Weaver, but the acquisition of Kearns gives us a great outfield prospect with good plate patience.

I like the thought of Weaver for Larkin and Kearns but I don't think Cinncy is goig to give up Kearns. I read the Baseball Prospectus today and they are raving about the Reds outfield of the future (Dunn, Griffey, and Kearns); however, if Cinncy wants to do it, go for it. Also see what else you can get from Cinncy, because any GM with that much faith in Juan E can be taken to the cleaners.

Kearns for Weaver would be a good deal for the future, as our farm system is stronger in pitching than positional prospects. Larkin doesn't do anything for me -- I'd just keep Halter or Damian Jackson there and hope Infante or Santiago is ready by 2003. Kearns was mentioned as possible trade bait in a Sporting News story, but I have to wonder what the reaction would be in Cincy if he was traded. He's been hyped for a couple of years now, and Reds fans are probably expecting to have him around for awhile now that he's there.

The Reds aren't gonna trade Kearns. I'd rather have FIck than Mohr any day of the week. Also I don't think Kearns is a CF.

Buchanon and Mohr aren't really prospects, but Cuddyer is. Buchanon and Mohr are fil ins until they decide Cuddyer is ready. Bobby Kielty is a better hitter than either of those two right now but he's getting squeezed because Mohr and Buchanon are both hitting well so far this year.

cobweb you are thinking of this the wrong way. what you do when you are trying to rebuild is trade a veteran like a higgy for a couple of good young prospects.

then as you build up a young core you start to trade your prospects for current players and try to win.

the problem with this team as DD tries to rebuild is that he has very few good chips to work with so he must build by trading what he has. unfortunately our best chip currently is jeff weaver so DD has said that he is available. that does not mean that he is actively attempting to trade weaver it means he will listen.

i personally would trade sparks, anderson, higgy, and fick. other players should be dealt but i think that those four right now have the best value. however i am not against dealing weaver i just would like to have a really good deal for him

no way do the reds trade away kearns. they will probably trade away juan encarnacion when someone overrates him for his fast start to the season

i would take fick for cuddyer but not fick for mohr

i don't think the twinkies are going to be dealing cuddyer to anyone though.

Since we`re talking trades with the Reds on this forum how about trading Weaver for Griffey? LOL .................................................................Yeah, just kidding Griff`s a crybaby that nobody wants ........except the Reds.

Originally posted by ToledoTigerFan

If it were an even-up trade, I'd trade any one single Tiger for Ken Griffey, even though he is 33.

Even if we could get Griffey for Lima, I still would not make the trade. Any player who grabs his crotch while crossing home plate and yells for Sparky to "S--- my d---!" must NEVER be a Tiger! ;)

Actually, I think Kearns is very tradeable. with Griffey coming back and Encarnacion playing well, they will have a surplus. Keep in mind that Adam Dunn is the better of the two prospects... he should be a superstar. Kearns is going to be "very good", but not quite as good as Dunn. He is worth trading to get a good pitcher.

Thank you very much ronz. I thought I was the only one who remembered that. I think he flicked him off as well. Ever since that day I have hated griffey, f-him!

Keep in mind that before last season Kearns was the more advanced of the Kearns - Dunn duo. Dunn's huge year put him ahead of Kearns, but overall they are basically the same player. Hit for power, average, draw tons of walks, play good defense at the corner. Kearns is a better player right now than Encarnacion, and he projects to be just as good as Dunn over the next 10 years.