OldTimey

Apparantly Weaver Close to Being Traded

Jeff Weaver got the win. But how many more starts will Weaver make for the Tigers? Speculation in baseball is growing that Dave Dombrowski, the Tigers' new general manager, is looking to trade proven big leaguers for two or three prospects. And Weaver -- 25 and a developing ace -- looks like his most attractive trade commodity.

Some baseball people believe that the one kind of player you must never trade is a top young pitcher, someone like Jeff Weaver. Until now, Weaver has been seen as the rock of the Tigers' rotation for years to come.

But things change. Dombrowski is entitled to wonder how good the Tigers can be even if Weaver becomes a steady 20-game winner.

Dombrowski has to find a way to make the Tigers better. Getting young players for one proven big leaguer seems to be the best way.

Dombrowski, as is customary for a general manager, declines to comment on potential trade matters.

I don't see how that equates to "close to being traded', unless you have some inside info. It just says that Dombrowski is open to trading him.

I don't have a problem with it. I trust D2's judgement, like you said, it's not Randy Smith's deal.

On the other hand, I think this would cause a negative reactioni, short term, among casual fans. They would just see it as the Tigers trading one of their best players and would be adding another LuGone, Phil Nevin, etc. to the history.

I was just trying to get people in the thread to discuss it.

HOWEVER....

On another board I go on, there's a guy who apparantly works for a media outlet. He said the Tigers were gonna fire Gar and Randy 20 mins. before they even announced teh press conference. He has been right on a lot of things and he said the deal is close to being done.

This could mean very little to everyone, however the guy has been very trustworthy in teh past and so I think there is at least validity to it.

If they trade Weaver I hope they can make Higginson part of the deal, as a salary dump. Smith's work with the Tigers wasn't limited to his horrible major league teams, the farm system is not as great as he would have led us to believe. The Tigers have a lot of work to be done and some painful trades might be the only way to do it.

Twins mgr. Ron Gardenhire was extremely complimentary of Weaver, calling him "one of the best pitchers, with the best stuff"; although he'd been extremely complimentary of Cornejo also. The Twins have some of the best young talent in baseball (Morneau, Restovich, and Mauer).

ugh i am sick and tired of damn prospect this isnt like there trading a shortstop this is a starting pitcher who looks like hes gonna turn into an ace and they dont make those everyday

He's gonna look like an ace and tease everyone, until everyone realizes he isn't, that he's just a pretty good pitcher who loses close games. He doesn't strike people out, and he really doesn't strike alot of fear in people. His command is a little off right now also.

If it is just Dombrowski making any deal, I'd be more inclined to trust him. However, if it's one of the flunkies Randy Smith brought in doing the assessment of any players we trade for, I'd be very PO'd. If it's a 4-player/prospect deal for Weaver and another player deal, I might be willing to accept such a trade. As long as it's Dombrowski, and Dombrowski only, making the call.

I can't believe that people would actually believe that trading Weaver and Higgy to dump salary is a good idea. Haven't they dumped enough salary? Haven't they taken this team down to

bare bones and made a minor league outfit out of them all in the name of "salary dumping?" Who's going to pay money to see this team play if they keep dumping salary (and quality players in the process)...The Tigers have got people believing this idea and thinking it is a good one.

Weaver is a young pitcher with nothing but upside. 3/4 of the games Weaver has lost in his career were because of other players on the team - and a dumb manager - no matter how good he pitched....

If I was Weaver I'd WANT TO CATCH the first train out of dodge.

If Weaver was on Atlanta, or the Mets, or Boston, or Cleveland or the Yankees, (shall I go on) - he would've won 20 games at least twice if not more.

This all makes me sick.

If Weaver is traded then it speaks volumes of what Dombrowski thinks about the guys coming up. He must think it's 4 or 5 years away from producing any real talent. If that is the case, then you have to solicit offers for your best players.

If they are gonna trade Weaver, they are gonna have to get quite a return on the investment. The Rangers got alot in return for Carlos Pena, and they still got hosed on the deal.

Weaver has been pitching pretty bad this year. He's been getting by on guile and luck a bit more than you'd like, but he's still got a 3.45 ERA. If he ever gets his stuff together he's an ace and he's already a workhorse.

No offense to Dombrowski, but who makes the trade shouldn't make a difference in terms of whether we think it is a good one or not. It is either a good deal or a bad deal, and the person that made it doesn't matter.

I don't know that you can say Weaver would have won 20 games on any of those teams. 20 wins is tough to get in this day and age, and better pitchers than Weaver haven't made 20 wins on those teams (see Mussina, Mike last year).

If we can move Higginson and get quality players in return, we should. If we just move him as a salary dump, we should just hang onto him.

Originally posted by qsilvr2531

No offense to Dombrowski, but who makes the trade shouldn't make a difference in terms of whether we think it is a good one or not. It is either a good deal or a bad deal, and the person that made it doesn't matter.

But based on Dombrowski's track record vs. Randy Smith's, I think the chances of Dom making a smarter move are higher.

True, but I am not gonna change my opinion of a move just because Dombrowski makes it. Perhaps the feeling of dread prior to a deal is less with Dombrowski, because we aren't convinced that he can't make a good deal, but once a deal is made it should stand or fall on it's own merits.

If indeed Weaver is close to being traded, to whom?

For whom?

If he is close, then he is close to going somewhere.

These rumours usually involve an actual trade destination.

Wouldn't that be nice Todd? Prior is REALLY highly rated by the Cubs, and in fact just got moved up to Triple A. Patterson would be nice also. I think the thing with Dumping Higginson is, he makes so much money, but he just isn't worth it. Detroit overpaid for him just to prove a point that they'll "take care" of their players.

His no trade clause also makes it difficult since he'd have to approve the team... I mean, look how crappy Seattle got in the Griffey deal...

Todd, that trade proposal of Weaver for Patterson and Prior is excellent. They both are expected to be stars and to be in the big leagues this season. Those are the types of deals which make the trade of Weaver a possibility, but can that actually happen?

If you look at the Mariners they were forced to trade Randy Johnson and Ken Griffey Jr. and lost Arod for nothing, and they did much more than recover...it helped them build a very good team. A smart GM will consider every possiblity and I dont think Smith did that. He decided that some of his players were untouchable or at least better than he thought and wouldnt budge(this is speculation) on certain deals.

Since Weaver is a starting pitcher that leaves every team open as an option. I would still prefer to see Anderson and Higginson go before Weaver because the position they play makes them less valuable/easier to replace.

Weaver & Easley to Atlanta for Jason Marquis, Marcus Giles....screw this I want Furcal!

Todd, that trade proposal of Weaver for Patterson and Prior is excellent. They both are expected to be stars and to be in the big leagues this season.

Mark Prior is rated by many as the best pitcher to come out of college since Roger Clemens. Patterson was Baseball America's #1 prospect. We probably wouldn't get either of them, and certainly not both of them, for Weaver. (And personally, I wouldn't trade Weaver for Patterson anyway.)

The Rangers got alot in return for Carlos Pena, and they still got hosed on the deal

That's for sure. And the guy who orchestrated the trade, Grady Fuson, was the A's director of scouting for years. I think the lesson is that no one should ever trade with Billy Beane, except J.P. Ricciardi.

Weaver & Easley to Atlanta for Jason Marquis...

Marquis is out with a sore shoulder. Don't know the details.

Take a look at the Griffey deal, and the Mariners really just got lucky. If Bowden had taken a second to realise that okey Reese really wasn't very good and neither was Gookie Dawkins, they keep Antonio Perez (who will be a better player than Reese or Dawkins) and Tomko and still get Griffey. They were gonna move Cameron for Griffey in the deal anyway.

End results though, was the Mariners winning the deal. With Griffey's injury problems, Cameron has outplayed him since the trade (Cameron was also a better player than Ichiro last year, but that's another story). The Johnson traded netted Garcia and GUillen (and Halama who isn't really that good). But let's remember, both of them are HOFers. No one on the Tigers is even borderline that level.

Fuson was very high on Mario Ramos, which is why the trade was made I think. Long term the Rangers still could end up on top of that deal, but short term it's a clear win for the A's, and long term even if the A's lose out overall in the deal, they got the best single player, who just happened to fill a huge hole for them. It's tough to envision the A's regretting that deal.

hmmm...what about a 3 player deal to the marlins or yanks?! for whom, i don't know. just a thought.

i wouldn't be surprised to see matt anderson out the door this year too. closers are a commodity at the deadline and if he is healthy and pitching like he did in the second half of last year he could be in demand.

for weaver i would want at least three prospects from the other team.

anderson could probably get us two if he proves he is healthy.

trading sparks would be a good move too. as would trading anyone on the roster that has any value at all.

then after acevedo proves that he can do it over the second half of the season deal him in the offseason.

Bad idea for the Tigers to trade either Weaver OR Higginson, we'll need them when we make the playoffs this year. :rolleyes:

I would still say its a bad idea to trade Weaver.

I'd trade any proven position player but not a young proven pitcher. A strong and young rotation is a key to success - look at Oakland. Hudson, Mulder, Zito, Lidle, Hiljus(should be a Tiger). Thats a young solid rotation and yeah, Oakland has a great offense but those 5 guys holds the key for success for the team.

To build a successful team, you need to build around pitchers. Unless we can get a Prior and a Patterson in return, its not worth trading him.

Oh, there's a swell idea. We're trying to build a decent team. So the best thing to do is get rid of one of the best young pitching prospects we have. Yuh huh. And I want a car that will perform like a Lamborghini. So I should trade my Grand Am for a Hyundai and a Lotto ticket, right?

The only way it would make sense to trade Weaver would be if we could sucker somebody into giving us somebody better than Weaver in return. Everybody who believes that is going to happen, stand on your head and say "Milt Pappas".

And by the way, until Weaver gets it all together and proves otherwise, Sparks is our ace. Fourteen wins last year, with zippo run support; he'd have won eighteen with a few more runs backing him up. And he's got at least five or six years ahead of him that will be as good or better, if he has half a team behind him. Unless somebody is stupid enough to give us a proven ace, it'd be lunacy to trade Sparks, too.