TigersMeow79

Rumored Milicic deal

Its amazing how many of the media believe this is a great move b/c it will assure the Pistons to keep their starting 5 intact.....where are these hacks getting their info???? Obviously the Pistons could sign their starters without any issues what so ever....The Knicks have a payroll reaching towards the billions...I think the Pistons will be fine....jeez

Yes but Bill Davidson has never been cheap but he has always wanted to be fiscally responsible. Do you really want Darko stapled to the bench making 6+ mil a year. The Pistons still want to keep their books in order so they can use their exceptions and bring in good players. After 07/08 all starters will be making of upwards of $10 mil and that's just 5 players.

as far as arroyo costing us a first round pick this should not have entered into dumars' decision with regards to this trade...that's a sunk cost...if he felt that arroyo wasn't the answer...there's no reason to keep him around just b/c we used a 1st rounder to get him....same thing with darko...ya so we used a 1st round pick...but he wasn't going to stary around here after his current contract is up, probably even if he did get significant playing time so you might as well get something that you believe can help your team...cut losses....makes sense.

Actually yes it will if you considered Darko part of the future. Without Darko they only have $36 mil against the cap for 07/08, throw another 10 mil for Ben that would be $46, throw in Darko who would have made $6 mil+ that's 52 mil and the $9 mil for Prince in 07/08 which is $61 mil. That cap number is huge and for only 7-8 guys. Excellent moving removing Darko from the books.

You have wrong info. On hoopshype right now, the Pistons are listed at $48.8 million for next year. Wipe out the $9 million for Darko and Arroyo and you are at $40 million. That $40 million does not count Princes contract or Bens. That will be another 20 million or so on top of that $40 million. So they will be at $60 million even after the deal.

You have wrong info. On hoopshype right now, the Pistons are listed at $48.8 million for next year. Wipe out the $9 million for Darko and Arroyo and you are at $40 million. That $40 million does not count Princes contract or Bens. That will be another 20 million or so on top of that $40 million. So they will be at $60 million even after the deal.

Exactly, it helps in the future. Do you really think this is a horrible deal? I mean Darko wasn't going to do anything in the next couple years and there are rumblings the Pistons really love Maxiel and that also pushed a deal forward.

Exactly, it helps in the future. Do you really think this is a horrible deal? I mean Darko wasn't going to do anything in the next couple years and there are rumblings the Pistons really love Maxiel and that also pushed a deal forward.

How on earth does it help in the future? They will be at $60 million next year, do you honestly think that Sheed, Rip, Billups, Prince, and Ben will have contracts that go down in value over the years? That #60 million number will continue to grow and grow. The only noteable contract coming off the books anytime soon is McDyess in 2 years for something like $7 million. That wont help much when they are $20 million over the cap by then.

Do I think it was a bad deal? Yes. The whole Darko situation was a cluster f*ck from day one. Drafting him was a horrible horrible move. They fell in love with him from his workout, nothing more, nothing less. He only played like 15 mins a game in Europe.

Having said what a mistake it was, you dont compound that mistake by making another one. They got zero for Darko. They are a worse team today, then they were yesterday by losing Arroyo. The only thing that salvages this trade is if that pick somehow becomes something. Sure it could be a high pick, but Orlando could turn things around and it could end up being a 15-20 pick just as easy as a high pick.

If there was even a 10% chance of Darko developing and playing minutes for the Pistons in the future, I would have much rather hold onto him. The upside from that 10% chance is much more value then anything they got in this trade.

Darko would just replace McDyess when McDyess' contract ran out. Even if you ignore this obvious fact, Darko's contract of $6 million per is hardly some huge sum that you must get rid of when you're going to be running a $60,000,000+ payroll. Consensus #2 pick in that draft and obviously still valued highly by the rest of the NBA.

How on earth does it help in the future? They will be at $60 million next year, do you honestly think that Sheed, Rip, Billups, Prince, and Ben will have contracts that go down in value over the years? That #60 million number will continue to grow and grow. The only noteable contract coming off the books anytime soon is McDyess in 2 years for something like $7 million. That wont help much when they are $20 million over the cap by then.

Do I think it was a bad deal? Yes. The whole Darko situation was a cluster f*ck from day one. Drafting him was a horrible horrible move. They fell in love with him from his workout, nothing more, nothing less. He only played like 15 mins a game in Europe.

Having said what a mistake it was, you dont compound that mistake by making another one. They got zero for Darko. They are a worse team today, then they were yesterday by losing Arroyo. The only thing that salvages this trade is if that pick somehow becomes something. Sure it could be a high pick, but Orlando could turn things around and it could end up being a 15-20 pick just as easy as a high pick.

If there was even a 10% chance of Darko developing and playing minutes for the Pistons in the future, I would have much rather hold onto him. The upside from that 10% chance is much more value then anything they got in this trade.

I guess I am just too trusting of Dumars, a good GM knows when to cut bait when the time is right he did it with Cleaves, White and now Darko. I expected more out of you the team is 42-9, nobody expected that and the Pistons are a worse team now? They play 2 games between now and the trade deadline? I am willing to see what happens after this because Dumars isn't stupid he knows he needs to get a PG whether it's Delk, Lue, McGinnis etc.. all of whom are better than Arroyo and don't have deals extending into the future. I guess I am not that upset about the Darko pick because if they took somebody else there's a chance the Pistons never trade for Sheed and the Pistons are developing a guy like Bosh who still wouldn't have made a difference in a championship run. Dumars took a chance and is now looking to rectify it by getting a 1st round pick in 07 or 08 in the latest. No biggie dude, the team didn't win any of the 42 because of Arroyo.

I guess I am just too trusting of Dumars, a good GM knows when to cut bait when the time is right he did it with Cleaves, White and now Darko. I expected more out of you the team is 42-9, nobody expected that and the Pistons are a worse team now? They play 2 games between now and the trade deadline? I am willing to see what happens after this because Dumars isn't stupid he knows he needs to get a PG whether it's Delk, Lue, McGinnis etc.. all of whom are better than Arroyo and don't have deals extending into the future. I guess I am not that upset about the Darko pick because if they took somebody else there's a chance the Pistons never trade for Sheed and the Pistons are developing a guy like Bosh who still wouldn't have made a difference in a championship run. Dumars took a chance and is now looking to rectify it by getting a 1st round pick in 07 or 08 in the latest. No biggie dude, the team didn't win any of the 42 because of Arroyo.

Yes they are a worse team today then they were yesterday. Does that mean I think they just pissed away the championship? No.

But now they have an old backup PG who is coming off an injury and has limited offensive skills at best. If he aggrivates that injury again, they now have a rookie backup PG. I wont comment on future trades, because until they are done, it means nothing.

I'm liking this trade less and less. Is this really the best we could get?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2332021

If Orlando's first-round pick next year is No. 5 or better, the Magic will keep it. If it's not, the Pistons will acquire the Magic's 2008 first-round slot.

If the pick is 5 or better, the Magic keep it? The Magic could easily turn it around in two drafts with some high picks.

I'm biased, but I just recall hearing of some great offers the past year and a half for Darko. It looks like we waited too long.

Worst. Deal. Ever.

I don't like it at all. It looks like a desperate move to me unless Dumars is one step ahead and had to pull the trigger to make room for the deal he plans to make.

My guess is that this could be step one for a deal that Dumars has in the works. Who knows but I have to trust Dumars knows what he is doing. Not a good deal at this point though.

I can't believe Dumars is willing to trade a second overall pick that probably will get better with playing time and a guard that can play now for a garbage player that he will dump and a draft pick.

The only player I would want from Orlando is Dwight Howard and we all know that will never happen so there should be no trade talks with Orlando.

Yesterday, the guys on WDFN or WXYZ (forgot which station I was listening to at 4 o'clock) had an idea that the Pistons may trade that draft pick for Mike James. Seems pretty steep for James, but that was their speculation.

I'm pissed. I'm still extremely high on Darko athletically, I see raw Hakeem level skills. If in the end this turns out to be a pure salary dump for luxury tax purposes, I'll rage. The only way this could be acceptable is if Joe knows that Darko's drinking/cocaine 'experimentation' has blown up into a full blown major problem.

On the slightly bright side, the 2007 draft looks strong at the top with big men and we now have two picks to use as bait. I'm still bummed though.

I'm pissed. I'm still extremely high on Darko athletically, I see raw Hakeem level skills. If in the end this turns out to be a pure salary dump for luxury tax purposes, I'll rage. The only way this could be acceptable is if Joe knows that Darko's drinking/cocaine 'experimentation' has blown up into a full blown major problem.

On the slightly bright side, the 2007 draft looks strong at the top with big men and we now have two picks to use as bait. I'm still bummed though.

The ESPN article says if the Pistons don't take the Orlando pick this summer, they wait until 2008, not 2007 (see Belcher's post above). Is this incorrect? Because it cuts against what Dan and every media outlet has been saying.

I think the main point is, Bill Davidson is nearing 200 years old, what the F does he care about a luxury tax? Is this the time to start pinching pennies? Unreal, and actually pretty disturbing. How many times do you get a chance to put together a Dynasty? Why get cheap now?

KS

Not Hakeem level skills, Darko may become a good player, but Olojuwan was one of the greatest post players in NBA history. That guy had move upon move, and played with great passion.

As much as I don't like Darko and think that he's never going to turn out to be worth a #2 pick, I don't like this deal. Unless there is more to come. Getting rid of Darko and getting some cap room is good. But losing the backup pg is not. As much as Arroyo was inconsistent, he was able to spell chauncy. This leaves us precariously thin in that area in case of any injuries, and I'd agree that the Pistons are a worse team today than they were before the trade.

This deal stinks. I don't mind waiting on the draft pick, we've got plenty of young players to develop and bring along right now as it is. Getting a throwaway player to give up Arroyo is a dumb move. I hope Dumars has something up his sleeve.

And as much as I dig Joe D and appreciate what he has done with this team, there seems to be a glaring problem with his teams the last 2 years. The bench has not performed well, and he has done little to improve it. His focus seems to be on keeping the starting 5, which is fine, but don't ignore that bench. That will be this team's undoing.

I think Arroyo had to be thrown in simply to match up contracts nothing more. Obviously Joe wanted Cato's expiring contract but he couldn't just give Darko up because the contracts wouldn't match.

I don't think it's the greatest of trades, but i don't think Joe was not looking to add any type of contracts simply because we can add a decent backup guard with a MLE this offseason. We also don't know if management has told him to keep the salaries at a certain level.

Once again, since he hasn't proven me wrong yet,

In Joe I Trust

Darko's future in Detroit changed when Joe went out & got Rasheed. That 1 signing meant there wasn't enough minutes for him, which hurt his development. I would liked to have seen a little more passion from Darko. Maybe he'll show that in Orlando. I'm not all that thrilled with Cato.

Dumars can't be done making trades - the point guard position is glaringly weak. If no additional trades are made, Billups is going to play 40+ minutes a game from now on, and come playoff time that may come back to haunt the Pistons.

Darko's future in Detroit changed when Joe went out & got Rasheed. That 1 signing meant there wasn't enough minutes for him, which hurt his development. QUOTE]

And after that they added McDyess. Another one taking any Darko minutes there may have been.

As others have said...I hope he does well, it just did not work out in Det.