TigersMeow79

Rumored Milicic deal

I'd bet that the lottery protection was the reason the Pistons settled for a 2007 pick instead of a 2006. Probably no protection would be my bet.

According to Chad Ford on ESPN, it's top 5 protected in 2007 and unprotected in 2008.

It's very possible our 2007 pick gets sent to someone for a PG IMO

I just don't like the fact that it seems like they didn't get anything back for him...and now we have a backup PG problem...we're not in good shape if Hunter gets injured again...I'm very interested to see what Dumars is going to do now too...he has to get some more bench help for Billups and Hunter...Acker isn't going to cut it.

Dumars may have put together one of the best teams the NBA has ever seen, but 1st round drafting leaves something to be desired. Rodney White, Mateen Cleaves, and Darko were all awful, with only Tayshaun Prince and possibly Carlos Delfino being good picks.

Darko hasnt shown if he was awful or not! While I think this trade was needed for both sides, Darko shouldn't be declared a bust yet.

It'll be interesting to see how Darko goes from here. I'm not too worried about Arroyo leaving. Anyone think that given Delfino's development this season, he might be tried a little bit at the point at times? I'm sure another point will be acquired, but aside from that, anyone see a little 1 in Delfino's future?

Darko hasnt shown if he was awful or not! While I think this trade was needed for both sides, Darko shouldn't be declared a bust yet.

Darko was a bust for the Pistons. I don't much care what he does for other teams.

I don't recall you and I arguing too much about Darko even though I felt that the jury was out on him for a couple years and hoped for the best, while you were more adament that he would always suck. I also felt that Joe would turn it into something if it didn't go well. Mostly I just wanted people to stop talking about him like he was our savior and the future of the Pistons rested on his shoulders, when really he's no different than any other draft pick that may or may not work out. What you and I disagreed on was Mello, who I didn't want to see here at all no matter what. In the very begining I felt that we'd have been better of dealing the pick for a proven player. But once we went with Darko, the hype machine made me hopeful and I didn't give up on his potential success as a Piston until his true timeline (and attitude) really hit me last year. Honestly, I think Joe got the same sack of crap that we did. He probably thought that the Darko timeline would be more like 3 years rather than 6 (or never). I never looked at Darko as the godsend that would open up the next championship window for us (maybe you're confusing me with Benke and Truth :shocked: ).

You'll recall that NOBODY was saying to pick Wade or Bosch at that time. It was clearly between Mello and Darko for us and Denver. The report on Wade was that he was too small and that Bosch was too skinny. In fact, some saw Miami taking wade at the spot they did as a reach at the time. That's why those who say "we should have taken Wade or Bosch" make me laugh...yeah, my hindsight is 20/20 too.

I wasn't trying to single you out, but you were the only one that responded to my sarcasm.

Link

Deal is done: Darko is gone

Pistons send Milicic and Arroyo to Magic for Cato and first-round pick

Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

AUBURN HILLS - Next step for the Pistons - find some insurance at the point guard position.

At about 7 p.m. Wednesday, the Pistons and Orlando Magic finalized a trade that had been talked about for over a month.

The Pistons sent forward Darko Milicic, the second overall pick in the 2003 draft, and point guard Carlos Arroyo to the Magic for center Kelvin Cato and the Magic’s first round draft pick in 2007. The Magic will be able to retain that pick if it is one of the top five.

If it carries over to the 2008 pick, it would be unprotected.

The move has virtually no short-term impact for the Pistons. Arroyo’s minutes had been cut to less than 10 a game, and Milicic was out of the rotation.

Long-term, though, the Pistons gain not only a first-round draft pick, but also $8.7 million in cap space created by Cato’s expiring contract. The Pistons, as of Wednesday evening, hadn’t decided whether or not to bring Cato in for a medical examination or simple waive him. He has been out most of the season with a right foot injury.

“Right now, I have to get to work on finding another back-up point guard,” Dumars said.

With Arroyo gone, the Pistons are left with 35-year-old Lindsey Hunter, who is just now getting back into shape after preseason ankle surgery, and rookie Alex Acker, who has yet to play in an NBA game.

The Pistons can also use Carlos Delfino and Tayshaun Prince at the point, if necessary.

Bolding by me.

Complete and utter bullshit. A horrible deal. Terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible.

My utter and complete faith in Joe Dumars is shaken.

How long before the cut Cato?

I will defer to the vast majority who know way more about this then I do....BUT.....if Dumars still has to get a point guard I am left with some questions.

1) can Delfino play the point ?

2) would it have made sense to ask for Jameer Nelson instead of Cato ? This way you'd get the PG you need without making another deal. That being said I have no idea what Nelson's contract is, whether he's signed beyond this year. If I remember correctly, he should still be on his entry contract.

3) is the combination of Hunter and Delfino adequate back-up to ge them through the post season?

4)With McDyess and Davis coming off of the bench, isn't Cato redundant ? Is he on an expiring contract?

Dumars has built this team from the ground up...I'll wait until they acquire a PG/move or keep Cato (now or into next year) and see what that #1 turns in to before I cast judgement. But based on past performance, I feel good that this deal will work out for the Pistons.

I think its fairly safe to say that the Pistons record this year has virtually nothing to do with Darko or Arroyo, so their loss won't be felt much this year...if ever.

That being said, I do believe that, given the minutes on a non Championship calibre team will greatly benefit Darko and he may actually develop in the years to come. He is still only 20.

Complete and utter bullshit. A horrible deal. Terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible.

My utter and complete faith in Joe Dumars is shaken.

How long before the cut Cato?

Amen.

I will defer to the vast majority who know way more about this then I do....BUT.....if Dumars still has to get a point guard I am left with some questions.

1) can Delfino play the point ?

2) would it have made sense to ask for Jameer Nelson instead of Cato ? This way you'd get the PG you need without making another deal. That being said I have no idea what Nelson's contract is, whether he's signed beyond this year. If I remember correctly, he should still be on his entry contract.

3) is the combination of Hunter and Delfino adequate back-up to ge them through the post season?

4)With McDyess and Davis coming off of the bench, isn't Cato redundant ? Is he on an expiring contract?

Dumars has built this team from the ground up...I'll wait until they acquire a PG/move or keep Cato (now or into next year) and see what that #1 turns in to before I cast judgement. But based on past performance, I feel good that this deal will work out for the Pistons.

I think its fairly safe to say that the Pistons record this year has virtually nothing to do with Darko or Arroyo, so their loss won't be felt much this year...if ever.

That being said, I do believe that, given the minutes on a non Championship calibre team will greatly benefit Darko and he may actually develop in the years to come. He is still only 20.

Doubtful that Delfino could play the point, maybe in a pinch. I think it would actually be Prince playing it if needed.

Nelson should have been included in the deal. Not sure if was because of salary or Orlando didn't want to give him up.

Hunter and Delfino wont do, and Joe knows it. He will bring in another backup no doubt.

I doubt Cato ever puts on a Piston uniform to be honest.

Darko very well might develop in Orlando. If he does, him and Howard would be a fantastic 5/4 combo. Oh the irony if Darko does start to develop and that 07 pick ends up around 20th or some crap like that.

I'm so upset right now. There better be a deal coming for a good point guard. SOMETHING!

Why do you weaken your team by trading its back-up point guard when you're going for a championship? And then take your biggest bargaining chip in Darko, a guy that might have brought you a player who could actually crack your rotation, and GIVE HIM AWAY FOR NOTHING! NOTHING!

They better have some deal in place to trade Cato's contract for a back up point guard.

Great. The Pistons have the best record in the League and I'm depressed. I haven't been this down on them in years.

of course nelson wouldn't be included in that deal in place of cato....why the hell would orlando trade one of their young stars? ....maybe we should have asked for nelson and howard and let them keep their 1st rounder.....

I'm so upset right now. There better be a deal coming for a good point guard. SOMETHING!

Why do you weaken your team by trading its back-up point guard when you're going for a championship? And then take your biggest bargaining chip in Darko, a guy that might have brought you a player who could actually crack your rotation, and GIVE HIM AWAY FOR NOTHING! NOTHING!

They better have some deal in place to trade Cato's contract for a back up point guard.

Great. The Pistons have the best record in the League and I'm depressed. I haven't been this down on them in years.

A move like this will make re-signing Chauncey Billups that much easier. Maybe that will make you smile.

A move like this will make re-signing Chauncey Billups that much easier.

No it won't.

of course nelson wouldn't be included in that deal in place of cato....why the hell would orlando trade one of their young stars? ....maybe we should have asked for nelson and howard and let them keep their 1st rounder.....

Nelson is a good backup and an average starter, but is not and will not be a star.

The Pistons just sent Orlando two first round draft picks (Darko and they traded a first rounder for Arroyo last year) for a big pile of steaming crap, that is why they could have demanded Nelson.

No it won't.

Ian is correct, this did not help at all in signing Billups, not one single bit. They could have signed him just as easy if Darko was still around.

the fact that it frees up salary space for the future is good, but it doesn't address the fact that we need a backup PG for right now...that being said, for the moment I think we should reserve judgment until we see what other move Joe can make before next Thursday...he hopefully made this trade knowing that he would be able to get another PG relatively easily...he's come through in the past

Its amazing how many of the media believe this is a great move b/c it will assure the Pistons to keep their starting 5 intact.....where are these hacks getting their info???? Obviously the Pistons could sign their starters without any issues what so ever....The Knicks have a payroll reaching towards the billions...I think the Pistons will be fine....jeez

No it won't.

Actually yes it will if you considered Darko part of the future. Without Darko they only have $36 mil against the cap for 07/08, throw another 10 mil for Ben that would be $46, throw in Darko who would have made $6 mil+ that's 52 mil and the $9 mil for Prince in 07/08 which is $61 mil. That cap number is huge and for only 7-8 guys. Excellent moving removing Darko from the books.