TigersMeow79

Rumored Milicic deal

And yes, you were definitely talking to Deleterious...I was in no way advocating keeping Darko in my post. In fact, I think the Prince/Delfino/Darko core that Deleterious mentioned made me vomit in my mouth a little bit.

And yes, you were definitely talking to Deleterious...I was in no way advocating keeping Darko in my post. In fact, I think the Prince/Delfino/Darko core that Deleterious mentioned made me vomit in my mouth a little bit.

Well that is the sack of crap that Joe sold you when he drafted Darko. It was about the future and having these young guys left over after Billups, Rip and Ben were gone. I was about the only one saying what a load of crap that was and it was idiotic not to draft someone that was ready to play now.

Now when I turn it around and use that same argument that was rammed down my throat for the past 2 years, it makes you vomit :wink: Just turning the tables a little bit is all.

There is no sure things in the draft. Yes even Lebron James could have flamed out. Dumars made what was thought at the time to be the best pick, especially for a team without glaring needs at the time. I was nervous about the pick at the time, but I could understand what Dumars was going for with this pick, and why he made the pick, he took a risk hoping for a big payoff. It doesn't appear that is going to work out, but it was a good gamble at the time.

I've heard numerous times that many GMs in the league said they would have made the same pick.

There is no sure things in the draft. Yes even Lebron James could have flamed out. Dumars made what was thought at the time to be the best pick, especially for a team without glaring needs at the time. I was nervous about the pick at the time, but I could understand what Dumars was going for with this pick, and why he made the pick, he took a risk hoping for a big payoff. It doesn't appear that is going to work out, but it was a good gamble at the time.

Agreed.

And for Joe to turn something good out of a good gamble gone bad (like another first round pick) is another wise move on his part.

Well that is the sack of crap that Joe sold you when he drafted Darko. It was about the future and having these young guys left over after Billups, Rip and Ben were gone. I was about the only one saying what a load of crap that was and it was idiotic not to draft someone that was ready to play now.

Now when I turn it around and use that same argument that was rammed down my throat for the past 2 years, it makes you vomit :wink: Just turning the tables a little bit is all.

I don't recall you and I arguing too much about Darko even though I felt that the jury was out on him for a couple years and hoped for the best, while you were more adament that he would always suck. I also felt that Joe would turn it into something if it didn't go well. Mostly I just wanted people to stop talking about him like he was our savior and the future of the Pistons rested on his shoulders, when really he's no different than any other draft pick that may or may not work out. What you and I disagreed on was Mello, who I didn't want to see here at all no matter what. In the very begining I felt that we'd have been better of dealing the pick for a proven player. But once we went with Darko, the hype machine made me hopeful and I didn't give up on his potential success as a Piston until his true timeline (and attitude) really hit me last year. Honestly, I think Joe got the same sack of crap that we did. He probably thought that the Darko timeline would be more like 3 years rather than 6 (or never). I never looked at Darko as the godsend that would open up the next championship window for us (maybe you're confusing me with Benke and Truth :shocked: ).

You'll recall that NOBODY was saying to pick Wade or Bosch at that time. It was clearly between Mello and Darko for us and Denver. The report on Wade was that he was too small and that Bosch was too skinny. In fact, some saw Miami taking wade at the spot they did as a reach at the time. That's why those who say "we should have taken Wade or Bosch" make me laugh...yeah, my hindsight is 20/20 too.

The next week and a half is going to be really interesting. Let's see what else Joe has up his sleeve.

Forgot to say:

YES!!! Now I don't have to sit through those ridiculous "weee waaaant Daaaarko" chants at the Palace anymore as I scream back "noooo weeee doooon't".

You'll recall that NOBODY was saying to pick Wade or Bosch at that time. It was clearly between Mello and Darko for us and Denver. The report on Wade was that he was too small and that Bosch was too skinny. In fact, some saw Miami taking wade at the spot they did as a reach at the time. That's why those who say "we should have taken Wade or Bosch" make me laugh...yeah, my hindsight is 20/20 too.

I feel that this is a very accurate summary of the situation before that draft. This is exactly how I remember it. It's almost commonplace to hear "They passed on Dwayne Wade" as if almost any other team sitting at #2 would have taken either Darko or Mello.

The best candidates I think, would be Steve Blake: 44% shooting, 38% from 3's, 3.98-1 assist to turnovers; Chris Duhon: 36% from 3's, 3.55-1 A-TO's; Mike James? , Ray Felton (not available...), Tony Delk?

Ray Felton would be an excellent pickup.

Thats not going to happen, but we could get Brevin Knight from the Bobcats.

Thats not going to happen, but we could get Brevin Knight from the Bobcats.

Brevin Knight would be an excellent pickup.

So long Darko. In honor of your Piston Career, I offer a summary in photos:

l1485341.jpg

19144_512.jpg

DarkoMilicic.jpg

Hot young draft picks!!!

montage_170_031007.jpg

Darko1.jpg

darkodrunk.jpg

I never looked at Darko as the godsend that would open up the next championship window for us (maybe you're confusing me with Benke and Truth :shocked: )

Godsend? Nope, I defended the guy against those who said he was a bust and use his lack of playing time or failure to break into the Pistons 3 man rotation at PF/C as evidence. As Dale Davis found out when he mouthed off a few months ago about taking Darko's minutes after he was taken out of the rotation, it ain't easy breaking into that group.

As for confusion, add Dumars to your list, he is the one who was first convinced that Darko would be the centerpiece of the next wave. I will now say that Darko is a bust though...the Pistons' investment won't pay dividends for them.