TigersMeow79

Rumored Milicic deal

See, I think the absolute opposite. Almost any trade for Darko WILL benefit the pistons because he isn't playing. He is a waste of money and bench space. He is not even a first-bench player. If someone is willing to offer a first rounder for him, take it! If Darko hasn't proven himself to Larry Brown OR Flip Saunders, how good do you think he really is? If we could unload him for another first rounder, we could use our first 2 first round picks for a top 5 pick, if necessary. Darko is the biggest joke of an "player" to ever wear a Pistons uniform. I think Joey Harrington could start at C before Darko.

Have you seen Joey shoot? Espn spent a whole segment making fun of his shot at some Oregon game.

Darko 5.2 million off, Arroyo 4 million off, 1st round pick aquired nothing against the cop. Pistons net gain 9.2 million of capspace. They can safely resign Ben Wallace and avoid the luxury tax.

Yeah, whats your point? They still wont have any cap relief, they will have luxury tax relief. Everyone makes it sound like they have to do this deal to sign Ben and Billups and that simply is not true. They could sign those guys to as much as they want and still keep Darko and Arroyo. They would just have to pay the luxury tax, which would be no big deal considering the rate this team is raking in money right now.

They don't want a first round pick. The Pistons have 3 on their bench now. You have to pay a first round pick, first round money, where is the cat going to play?

I agree with you. The only way this makes sense for the present is if Dumars has another deal going for a PG. Couldn't he throw that pick in a deal?

Is Tony Delk available?

O/W, Pistons must love the progress that Amir Johnson (as a future C/PF) and Alex Acker (ready to be a backup PG this year?) have made so far...

Amir Johnson is going to be a small forward in the NBA.

Last night during the game, Greg Kelsor (sp) said that if Joe does this deal he plans to immediately find another guard to toss in the mix to back up Billups as well. He will not stay with just having Hunter.

You can bet that Joe is on the phone right now talking to GMs about the follow up trade to get another PG.

Also, don't forget that All-Star weekend is like trade heaven. That's when all the GMs get together and actually talk face to face about trades and such. Many a trade goes down because of talks that happen during All-Star week.

As for Chucky...um, yeah, I'd rather have Acker play the point. OK, maybe that's an exaggeration, but you can probably get a guy from the D-League that would be more useful to us.

man i hope they can dump him, but given that we dont know what to expect from Hunter, I hope we can make another move for a back up. I'd take Mike James again.

BTW, this is my first post in the forum. I'm a lifelong fan originally from Gaylord MI. I moved out to DC to work in marketing. if i ever have cool nba stuff to pass on, I'll let you know.

Random note, of the three cats I have owned, they have been named Isiah, Tayshuana Princess and Chauncey.

Last night during the game, Greg Kelsor (sp) said that if Joe does this deal he plans to immediately find another guard to toss in the mix to back up Billups as well. He will not stay with just having Hunter.

Now I have faith in Joe again. This makes me feel a bit better about this situation. I just couldn't see Joe D endangering this season.........

I have heard a few rip on Chucky here but the few games I've seen him play this year he's been adequate or good. With Hunter and Acker that would probably be enough. But that's not going to happen anyway so why worry about it.

It wouldn't take a crushing deal for me to respond to losing Arroyo really. I realize he's our second option clearly but I've never been sold on the guy either. Earlier this year I thought he could be a difference maker if he added discipline to his game but I haven't seen that and that will never happen over an extended period of time. Chucky with Hunter would be fine with me. For sure James and Hunter would be awesome. Hell I may even take someone of Damon Jones' caliber with Hunter. It's not like we need THE ANSWER to shore this up. We just simply need an answer.

Let's not make Arroyo more of a piece to this thing than he really is if we get any sort of respectable PG behind him. Again Hunter and (fill in the blank with someone with at least a reasonable NBA resume) is at par with Arroyo.

I am not a fan of Arroyo at all. Sometimes he can give the bench a spark but usually he is horrible.... to streaky of a player. That is why i dont mind this deal....

Its basically

Darko for Top 15 pick.....which is probably fair

Arroyo for CapSpace......Orlando wins but not by much

Losing arroyo will only hurt this team if Billups is injured. Hunter for ten minutes is not much if any worse than Carlos for 10 minutes. If Billups gets injured, i dont think we have a chance during the playoffs with or without Arroyo.

to be honest with you, who couldn't see this coming? Dark was on his way out, and the Magic make the most sense for him.

I don't might this deal because of Arroyo's contract but I don't like trading away a 7 foot that can shoot the three, pass, and can block shoots who is only 20 while Sheed is nearing the end of his prime.

Fool,

Even if he develops do you see the Pistons keeping Darko once his contract is up? Right now odds say he's out here ASAP and it's hard to believe that's going to change barring him starting and playing 40 minutes every game next year. The chances of Darko developing into a stud (whatever those chances of him becoming a stud or an effective player) here are very remote.

Fool,

Even if he develops do you see the Pistons keeping Darko once his contract is up? Right now odds say he's out here ASAP and it's hard to believe that's going to change barring him starting and playing 40 minutes every game next year. The chances of Darko developing into a stud (whatever those chances of him becoming a stud or an effective player) here are very remote.

Oh I know why Dumars would make this deal but that doesn't me I have to like it.

Fool,

Keeping Darko would not have been a problem at all, if he develops. McDyess contract will expire the same year as Darkos does, in another two seasons. Do you really see the Pistons signing McDyess again in another 2 1/2 years? I can't imagine it.

Ben and Rasheed probably wont be signing any more contracts with the Pistons (After Ben signs this summer), so you will be in need of big men again. Darkos new deal probably would have been similar to what Okur got, and no doubt things would have been tight for 2-3 years, but it was more then manageable.

When those guys are done (Ben, Rasheed, Dice), then our championship window is closed. Keeping Darko doesn't change that in my eyes. I like the idea of moving him now to get something that might help us keep the window open and strong a couple years from now, rather than thinking about another window 6 years from now. So, I have no problem with getting the first round pick in exchange for Darko.

The only worry I have is the PG issue, but we'll see what Joe has up his sleeve on that.

When those guys are done (Ben, Rasheed, Dice), then our championship window is closed. Keeping Darko doesn't change that in my eyes. I like the idea of moving him now to get something that might help us keep the window open and strong a couple years from now, rather than thinking about another window 6 years from now. So, I have no problem with getting the first round pick in exchange for Darko.

The only worry I have is the PG issue, but we'll see what Joe has up his sleeve on that.

Prince, Delfino and a developed Darko would be a nice core to build around.

When you guys say protected 4th overall, does that mean we don't get the pick unless it is in the top 4, or that Orlando gets the pick until it is not in the top 4, like the Darko Pick was about being #1? Or is it something else?

Betrayer,

That's all nice in theory but reality probably dictates Darko wouldn't let that happen anyway. Even if he does develop he's not playing more than 12 minutes a year next season. There's no way he's going to stay with a team that hasn't played him for the bulk of four years. He may leave even if he played 40 minutes a game next season. And that's a best-case senario if he develops to the point he can start over that quad you mentioned. I understand the issues about the long term but I just don't see a scenario where Darko becomes a productive and happy Piston to the point he wants to stay after his contract (and what he probably looks at as indentured servant papers) is over. I understand what you are saying but I don't think reality makes that theory feasible. Keeping Darko really won't be up to us. It'll be up to Darko and the chances of that happening are slim.

Betrayer,

That's all nice in theory but reality probably dictates Darko wouldn't let that happen anyway. Even if he does develop he's not playing more than 12 minutes a year next season. There's no way he's going to stay with a team that hasn't played him for the bulk of four years. He may leave even if he played 40 minutes a game next season. And that's a best-case senario if he develops to the point he can start over that quad you mentioned. I understand the issues about the long term but I just don't see a scenario where Darko becomes a productive and happy Piston to the point he wants to stay after his contract (and what he probably looks at as indentured servant papers) is over. I understand what you are saying but I don't think reality makes that theory feasible. Keeping Darko really won't be up to us. It'll be up to Darko and the chances of that happening are slim.

I think you meant to direct that towards me.

Problem is, Darko will be a restricted FA. If Detroit wants him, they get him, no matter what Darko wants.

Hmm...

I thought we had the right to match but Darko could go elsewhere. Sorry about that. I thought we had him locked up until the end of next season and that was it.

Hmm...

I thought we had the right to match but Darko could go elsewhere. Sorry about that. I thought we had him locked up until the end of next season and that was it.

He has the right to sign an offer sheet with another team, but Detroit has the right to match any offer and keep him. It might cost a fortune though.

It is similar to the Evans deal this summer if you remember. Detroit signed him, but the Kings had a week to decide if they wanted to match and keep him or not.

Yeah, sounds like I had that reversed a bit. That's a bit more promising if we kept him with that scenario but not tremendously better. I guess it would give him an additional season to legitimately get in the playing rotation - at a time that is more realistic for a big man than when he came here.

Thanks for the clarification.