TigersMeow79

Rumored Milicic deal

But with 2 first round picks, you can get a PG (or SF/SG/PG) and a C/PF in the first round! Those two first round picks are (Darko being the exception) going to be better than Arroyo and Darko.

But with 2 first round picks, you can get a PG (or SF/SG/PG) and a C/PF in the first round! Those two first round picks are (Darko being the exception) going to be better than Arroyo and Darko.

None of which addresses the problem of the backup PG being a rusty, possibly hobbled Lindsey Hunter going into the playoffs.

We don't have a 1st round pick this year. Lost it to prior trading...

PS: Can you guarantee that a 1st round pick will be better than Darko OR Arroyo?

None of which addresses the problem of the backup PG being a rusty, possibly hobbled Lindsey Hunter going into the playoffs.

Is Tony Delk available?

O/W, Pistons must love the progress that Amir Johnson (as a future C/PF) and Alex Acker (ready to be a backup PG this year?) have made so far...

What trade did we lose our 1rst round pick with? Was not aware of that. If that is the case, then I find it even more important to get the first rounder with the magic .. they are going to be a lottery team .. have a chance of getting a very good pick ..

and as far as not having anyone to backup C-Note, between Hunter and Delfino (who is starting to play much much better), we will be able to make it through the rest of this year .. it is already half over

If the long-term benefit is cap space, getting an early first round pick for this season is stupid. They will probably trade that first rounder away for some mediocre backup PG since Arroyo will be gone.

I hve no issues with the trade when it comes to the future. Darko will be the next William Bedford if he stays in Detroit. He needs to leave if he's ever going to live up to his potential. As others have said, Cato is valuable only for his expiring contract, otherwise he has very little, if any, use. I'd be surprised if he wasn't cut. The Pistons are making cap room and the pick, if not highly protected by Orlando, could be someone very good. Hopefully a sharpshooting SG/SF.

But I have big issues with the fact that if the trade happens, Hunter is the full time back up at PG. He's old, just coming off injury, and just had his first significant minutes in last night's game. You think Billups is playing too much now? Just wait... If Hunter is ineffective or gets injured again, who's the PG? Acker is NOT an option on a team gunning for a title. I sincerely hope Joe D has a decent PG hiddeen up his sleeve.

The pistons need to take a flyer on this one. There is absolutely no reason to make this trade right now, unless it has something to do with resigning Ben.

Terry Foster just said on 1270 that we will know, yes or no, about this trade today.

well, at the very least it's exciting...

For the record, Darko's pick still can't be considered a bad draft pick if we end up trading him for a first rounder. I think he's gonna eventually shine in this league as well. Maybe even by the end of the year if he goes to Orlando. The only reason this trade isn't eating me up is that I really want to see Darko get a chance. Despite it all, I think he's gotten a raw deal regardless of how much he's at fault for being an immature teenager from a foriegn country. I'll tell you what though, if he does pan out and becomes a star, this trade will be considered far and away the worst move of Dumars' tenure.

Mark your calendar boys. April 7th in Orlando.

IF they make this trade and I'm not sure how reliable the sources are it means to me that Joe has come to the conclusion that Darko is indeed a bust and is cutting bait just like he did with Cleeves and White. I would guess that LB told him that last year and he is now hearing the same thing from Flip. He's going to get whatever he can and move on. It free's up cap room to sign Ben and gets us a #1 this year or next. He must have something up his sleeve for a backup PG otherwise he would not make the deal. It may be as simple as moving Tay in there occasionally and getting Delfino more PT.

I still want to see Darko make it here, but Orlando does have the 6th worst record in the NBA (although it wouldn't take many wins to jump up 5-6 places). If we could get a top 8 draft choice and free up salary cap space, I'm all for it. Dumars usually doesn't leave himself naked on the court so I too believe IF he pulls this trigger, he has a PG somewhere he will acquire to replace Arroyo. My biggest fear is that Orlando turns their season around with Arroyo's help (I don't know if Darko will make as big an impact with Orlando as Arroyo could this season) and we get a 12-15th draft pick.

I trust Joe and was uneasy when he got rid of White a few years back, but am glad he did. He has drafted some bums in the past, but seems to always get some value in return when dumping them.

Joe might be a poor early first round draft guy, but he sure hits home runs in the late first and second rounds (i.e. Prince, Delfino, Okur).

Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuys that lottery pick is going to be basically the same cost as Darko. And Arroyo has a relatively cheap contract.

Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuys that lottery pick is going to be basically the same cost as Darko. And Arroyo has a relatively cheap contract.

It won't be if he is a 5-8th pick especially the first 2-3 years of his contract. Also Arroyo makes $4 million. Darko also makes much more now (and the next two seasons) than he did at the beginning of his contract (he will make $4,135,200 this season, $5,218,622 for the 2005-2006 season, and $6,810,302 for the 2007-2008 season) I believe his first two seasons he was about $3.5 million.

It should save money in the long run, but it doesn't mean you can replace Arroyo with a quality guy. By my guesstimation, it should save us at least $3-4 million per season over the next 2-3 years. That is if we don't overpay for a backup point guard. At the very least it cuts out nearly $11 million going into the draft if we don't pick up anyone new.

I guess I don't see the problem with this. Darko's value isn't going up with the Pistons, it's going down. If they can get a good pick in return for a guy that probably isn't ever going to see significant time in Detroit, then it seems good to me. The big risk seems like losing Arroyo and shortening us at point guard.

Just looking at it in terms of Darko and that #2 pick we had, I think this is probably the best way for the Pistons to get some value back. It might end up looking bad if Darko does develop, but odds are that wasn't going to happen here anyway, and I think there is a non-trivial chance that the pick we get ends up having a better career than Darko.

Terry Foster just said "his bunyan" (source?) that this would free up enough money to get Mike James, who they really want back. Perhaps this is Joe D's backup pg plan? If so, I like it.

Why is it I hate Darko more then the average person around here, but I never want to trade him. Especially for a dumb deal like this.

Even losing his deal and letting Cato walk next year, they get little to no cap relief. Darko makes under $5 million a year and even subtracting that, the Pistons are going to be over the cap. You don't clear cap space to get closer to being under the cap, you clear it to get 10-15 million under it so you can make a run at a free agent in the summer.

Maybe if you could gurantee me that the pick would be top 5 I would do it, but you cant do that. You cant even gurantee it will be a lottery pick at this point. Ugly ugly deal, and if there is any truth to it, and I doubt there is, then the Pistons really have given up on Darko

Darko 5.2 million off, Arroyo 4 million off, 1st round pick aquired nothing against the cop. Pistons net gain 9.2 million of capspace. They can safely resign Ben Wallace and avoid the luxury tax.

The Arroyo issue is clearly the issue with this trade. However, the Pistons get a chance to get value for a guy they probably will never use and his value will continue to decline the longer we have him.

This draft pick is driving me pretty wacky. How many years did we have it before we were able to actually use it? And now it looks like picking Darko may have been a way to "keep" that extra draft pick for another three years before trading him away in a deal that may allow us to use it "again" in the upcoming draft or in the draft two years from now. It's kind of funny how long we've stretched this story with this additional draft pick to about 6-7 years now.

Mike James would be nice. I heard Foster talking about him yesterday on his show but at that time I thought it was just talk. And usually when people "just talk" the Detroit natives or ex-Detroit players are the first that are brought up so I don't think too much about it. It sounds like there may be some legs underneath that one as well.

I didn't think much about it at the time but looking back picking up Chucky when he was available would've alieviated all these concerns. Too bad we didn't do it.

On the surface and for this year, yes, it would be a travesty. But with no 1st round pick this year and Big Ben needing a contract, it makes sense. Not saying I like it, but it makes sense.

If Lindsey can come back and give us 10-12 minutes a night with his typical defense and minimal turnovers, it might not be that bad. Of course, an injury to Hunter or Billups would be devastating. And I think this is a sure sign that the Detroit Pistons have officially given up on Darko.

They don't want a first round pick. The Pistons have 3 on their bench now. You have to pay a first round pick, first round money, where is the cat going to play?

How does trading a draft pick equate to salaries when doing a trade?

Do you think Utah would accept the #1 pick and Evans for Memo? We can go get James and Memo back and we'll have the championship team back together for another run.