TigersMeow79

Rumored Milicic deal

See, I think the absolute opposite. Almost any trade for Darko WILL benefit the pistons because he isn't playing. He is a waste of money and bench space. He is not even a first-bench player. If someone is willing to offer a first rounder for him, take it! If Darko hasn't proven himself to Larry Brown OR Flip Saunders, how good do you think he really is? If we could unload him for another first rounder, we could use our first 2 first round picks for a top 5 pick, if necessary. Darko is the biggest joke of an "player" to ever wear a Pistons uniform. I think Joey Harrington could start at C before Darko.

How would a trade for Kelvin Cato (who is hurt) and a number one pick next year help the Pistons right now?

And Darko is 20 years old. He'll be younger than a lot of the guys the Pistons would draft next year. He's got talent, he just hasn't been able to show it yet.

DaBishop,

You are right about his age. This guy can develop anytime within the next six years and he'd still only be 26. Look at Kaman. He's developing this year and how much older is he than Darko?

The only issue here is I don't see the Pistons' chances of keeping Darko for the long term (at this time) as being very high. He wants out of here. He's not playing. Hey, he's 20 and who doesn't want to play at that age? And he's been sitting for three years. And yet he doesn't seem to be willing to do what it takes to get that PT. I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon here as well. He very well could have a very good career but I don't think it will be here. I don't think he'd ever think of resigning here.

All very good points.

Who will be my whipping boy if they trade Darko?

It's a dumb trade with about zero value for the Pistons. It gives them zero cap relief even with the expiring deal, because they will still be over the cap after they sign Ben. It gives them relief from the luxury tax, but Mr D. isn't cheap and I doubt he minds paying it as long as the Palace is full and merchandise is flying out of stores.

The draft pick wont be much because it will be protected and Orlando still might make the playoffs. So you are probably looking at a #6 pick at best, and that is basically just another guy who has talent and wont play next year. Toss in the fact if Arroyo does indeed go in the trade, you are putting your backup PG job on a pretty old Hunter who has limited offensive skills at best and the deal looks even worse.

Arroyo and Darko for a first round pick(assuming we waive Cato as it mentions in the link I posted) is a travesty....this would destroy my "In Joe We Trust" feelings until we win the title again.

I'm with you. Something has to be going on that we don't know about, that's all I can figure. As it looks, the move has absolutely no present day value for the Pistons and actually could hurt them at PG, unless Dumars has another deal in the works. Taking the long view they will free up salary.

I just don't know. Darko is in a horrible spot in Detroit. I don't think the Pistons have any regular season minutes for a 4th big, whomever it is. I liked the idea of Darko developing and being in a position to replace Rasheed or McDyess in the next few years but maybe the combination of his desire to play and money have made it impossible. Or maybe Amir Johnson is the guy Joe sees as the centerpiece of the next generation. :happy:

That trade is garbage. My only consolation is the rumors appear to be coming primarily from the New York tabloids.

Thank you -- well said, very well said.

I guess Ric Bucher just said the deal is basically done [Arroyo+Darko for 1st rounder and Cato], they're just discussing how protected the pick will be

I wasn't taking the deal seriously until Kelser said that Dumars confirmed that they were considering it. When the broadcasters start talking about a trade it's got to be all but done.

...this pick better only be top three/top two protected.

Cause they will play Darko, they'd be dumb not to...and they are going to lose!

Joe D will only make this deal if he knows he can get another PG in another move. It gives them a 1st round pick and cap flexibility, that trade is fine by me.

In Dumars we trust. Heck he pulled this deal off and it ended up like this.

Rasheed%20Wallace%20WTrophy01.jpg

If Darko can even develop a little bit, him and Howard will give Orlando a very nice frontcourt for years to come.

I agree, though I don't care to get mad about this -- I have bigger, more real problems in my life, but as far as this all goes; it doesn't make sense. I wish Darko much luck, and of course, will hope that he prooves everyone wrong -- we'll see, I will wait until it is offically announced to react.

Howard and Darko is not something I'd want to face in the future.

At the same time, though, Darko's worth will never be seen in Detroit. When the Pistons drafted Darko, they didn't have Rasheed, and had a place for him in the future. Now that the Pistons have Rasheed and eventually Ben locked up long-term, not to mention McDyess, there's room for Darko. If that pick is only Top 8 protected which is right about where the Magic would pick today, and the Pistons could draft a scorer, I think it'd be an OK deal. Most likely though, from the Magic perspective if they're looking for a center, Darko is better than anyone avaliable at #8. Remember, Darko was a better prospect than a guy like Bogut was coming out last year and I still believe he has great potential.

It makes sense for both teams, I wouldn't mind if it happened, partly because I want to see what Darko can really do when he gets minutes, which would happen in Orlando.

Down the road, trading Darko to go alongside Howard could hurt the Pistons directly: that'll be a heck of a frontcourt. This is why teams usually trade out of their division/conference.

Howard and Darko is not something I'd want to face in the future.

I wouldn't mind if it happened, partly because I want to see what Darko can really do when he gets minutes, which would happen in Orlando.

I agree, and is the only reason on why I don't really care, either way, being we are winning with him, we'll win without him -- let the kid go play!

That said, this pick better turn into something that can help -- this year, no more projects!

Nobody is mentioning Acker with all of this trade talk. Lets face it, Hunter is old and is still coming back from an injury. If he is ineffective or gets hurt again, Acker would be your backup PG after this trade. I like Acker, but it would be awful if he ended up as the backup PG this year. Maybe he is tearing it up in practice or something. They must have a little faith in him in case the impossible happens and they need him to play.

Or, maybe Joe is going to turn around and make another trade. Cato sucks, but his $8 million dollar salary sure would be attractive for someone looking to clear cap space this summer. Maybe they ship him to Toronto for James and a scrub to make the salaries match, or to some other team for a decent backup PG. I just cant imagine Joe letting an old, gimpy Hunter be his backup PG come playoff time.

Darko cannot play NBA basketball right now. He may score 14 points a game on 40% shooting with Orlando but it will be fun to at least watch him play for once. He was rotting away in Detroit. And we will get a 1st round pick for him plus some better talent on this years roster.

Darko cannot play NBA basketball right now. He may score 14 points a game on 40% shooting with Orlando but it will be fun to at least watch him play for once. He was rotting away in Detroit. And we will get a 1st round pick for him plus some better talent on this years roster.

Huh? Kato hasn't played much at all this season (23 games).... averaging 3.8ppg and 2.7rpg... and they are talking about cutting him almost immediately upon arrival... how does that help this years roster?

This will be Dumars' worst personnel move if it goes down as rumored.

A little premature to say that, he did draft Mateen Cleeves.

A little premature to say that, he did draft Mateen Cleeves.

And Darko.

How would a trade for Kelvin Cato (who is hurt) and a number one pick next year help the Pistons right now?

And Darko is 20 years old. He'll be younger than a lot of the guys the Pistons would draft next year. He's got talent, he just hasn't been able to show it yet.

I am not sure if Cato and a #1 will help THIS year. However, Darko isn't playing this year anyway so we aren't really giving up anything. We are getting a #1 pick to help next year. That is more beneficial than Darko sitting on the bench this year. Cato is almost out of his contract so it would be a good way to free up cap space.

And how much talent does he really have? Larry Brown nor Flip Saunders think he is even competitive enough to challenge McDyess. Heck, I am not even sure if he would play in front of Dale Davis .. the 37 year older.

However, Darko isn't playing this year anyway so we aren't really giving up anything.

They'd be giving up the backup PG.

I like this trade for the future; Hate it for the present...