TigersMeow79

Rumored Milicic deal

The deal I would do is Darko, Arroyo for Cato, The rights to Fran Vazquez and a future #1. This way, you get a #1 in a few years and since the age limit is 20 by then, the talent will be deeper than it is this draft. Also, you get a project in Vazquez, who can have Memo potential and you can let him stay overseas for a few season since you don't need him right now. The only thing that would scare me is if Chauncey or Lindsey gets injured, then we are in trouble.

A few thoughts:

Based on your scouting report above... Vazquez doesn't sound anything like Memo. He sounds more like a McDyess. Athletic around the basket with lots of moves, dunks, quickness, and hops... if I read the report correctly. The trade you mention here is one I might consider.

But it's still tough to lose Darko, not really knowing what he might become. And... centers are harder to find (and hence: more valuable) then PF's, so Vazquez better be the real deal...

I like Cato as backup Center to deal with Shaq more than Davis. Maybe he can be resigned cheaply for a few years on a veterans contract (do we have mid-level... oh wait, don't teams get a mid-level each year?) ... that would make it more worth it for our next 3-4 year run... Maybe even worth more than Darko's future, if he's still struggling mightily during these playoff/championship runs...

Losing Arroyo is dangerous, unless we have another PG we can pickup... anyone available, at least for this year's playoff run?

Is a 1st rounder, even a lottery pick, worth anything this year? Just for example, if Orlando's pick ends up at #8, who falls to that spot that's worth drafting? And... I have absolutely ZERO interest in JJ Reddick. I don't know who Rondo is: any good, worth a #8?

A few thoughts:

Is a 1st rounder, even a lottery pick, worth anything this year? Just for example, if Orlando's pick ends up at #8, who falls to that spot that's worth drafting? And... I have absolutely ZERO interest in JJ Reddick. I don't know who Rondo is: any good, worth a #8?

I hate to be mean, but if you don't even know who Rajon Rondo is ,how do you know if a lottery pick will be good or not?

Whatever decision Joe Dumars wants to go with, I will back that decision -- enough said.

84 Lives!!!; you have absolutely ZERO INTEREST in JJ Reddick?

Are you serious?

ESPN Insider is saying that the Pistons have confirmed that Orlando has made this inquiry... and this is the 2nd time in the past month they've inquired about getting Darko.

If they really want Darko, something tells me we could get more...............

I hate to be mean, but if you don't even know who Rajon Rondo is ,how do you know if a lottery pick will be good or not?

Obviously, that's why I asked the question.

This would be a terrible trade for the pistons. They have to get a younger, more promising player and a pick for Darko. I would try to make a deal with Charlotte/Atlanta/some other team that will have a lottery pick. I'd rather go for Darko and a 1st rounder or two for Marvin Williams and a 1st rounder (since Atlanta has a ton of wing players).

If the pistons do get a lottery pick, they should go for Sheldon Williams over Reddick, even though Reddick is awesome. You can't have too many bigs:)!!

1. Whatever decision Joe Dumars wants to go with, I will back that decision -- enough said.

2. 84 Lives!!!; you have absolutely ZERO INTEREST in JJ Reddick? Are you serious?

1. Agree.

2. Well, maybe not zero. But I'd like to see the team get:

a) A playmaking PG, that can score some points (doesn't have to be a high-scorer, just the pass-first, shoot second-type), and is a real leader-type. Someone who can play a good backup PG for a few years and take over the leadership reins from Billups eventually.

b) A dominant inside scorer who will rebound and play defense, preferably at Center, but PF would be OK too. Vazquez could be that person, at PF.

Reddick doesn't fit either need. Not interested. Besides, I think it's relatively easy to find a scorer at the 2 or 3, so... not a priority to me.

In any trade we make with Orlando I want Jameer Nelson coming back. Cato, Nelson and a top three protected first rounder for Milicic, Arroyo and a protected second rounder. If we get Orlando's first rounder this year, they get the Minnesota second rounder. Otherwise they get our second rounder the year we get their first rounder. Next years Orlando pick would be top one protected or Oden protected.

This draft is pretty weak outside the top four/five guys(Aldridge, Gay, Morrison, Bargnani, Splitter). Orlando would probably be picking anywhere from 6th to 9th if they didn't win the lottery. Enough to get us a good player, but surely they will not have the upside potential of the 7'1" 265 lb 20yr old lefty Darko Milicic.

Any trade of Darko isn't likely to benefit the Pistons. It's hard to get value for a guy who nobody has ever seen play.

Any trade of Darko isn't likely to benefit the Pistons. It's hard to get value for a guy who nobody has ever seen play.

If we get Vazquez, Cato, and a 1st rounder... I would consider that value for Darko, even with Arroyo included in the deal. Wouldn't you?

If we get Vazquez, Cato, and a 1st rounder... I would consider that value for Darko, even with Arroyo included in the deal. Wouldn't you?

No, because we are weakening our current team. Dumars isn't going to make a trade unless it in the very least doesn't hurt this team. If we were to make that Orlando deal, Dumars would already have to have Cato dealt for a back-up pointguard. We're not going to put ourselves one injury away from Alex Acker getting minutes.

...and yet people are calling about him, which adds to me theory;

JUST BECAUSE NONE OF US KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HIM, DOESN'T MEAN THE LEAGUE DOES NOT!

No, because we are weakening our current team. Dumars isn't going to make a trade unless it in the very least doesn't hurt this team. If we were to make that Orlando deal, Dumars would already have to have Cato dealt for a back-up pointguard. We're not going to put ourselves one injury away from Alex Acker getting minutes.

You're looking at it from an extremely narrow point of view. And I don't think Dumars uses that narrow a vision. I believe he also will have his eyes on this year's championship, on the current team. If he deals Arroyo, he will have a plan to cover that position.

Trading Arroyo does NOT negate the value of the return Joe gets if, IF, he trades Darko. Or do you doubt Dumars is capable of understanding that?

How many years can we string this Darko thing. Even if the guy started getting minimal playing time this year or next, I doubt he'll ever stay here. We get a bit of salary cap relief, get a backup that may have more value for this season and we get a draft pick who we can keep for an extended period of time - probably much longer than we will have Darko. The only concern here is the guard situation and that is a real concern. And about the draft being weak - there will be guys who pan out or don't in every draft despite how people reflect on that class. It may be a bit more realistic this year because of the new NBA draft rules, but with a top 10 pick I think there will be someone of value out there.

If we could make a pick where we don't hurt our guard situation that would be ideal, but I can tell you I'd definitely field Darko trades. This is probably it - this will probably be the most value this guy will ever have for our team if we do one day lose him.

About now I am wishing we made more of a play for Chucky Atkins. With him on the squad this would be a no-brainer.

I'd only do this if we Orlando throws in a back-up for Billups.

Darko and Arroyo for Nelson and Cato (A man can dream can't he?, and yes I know that doesnt work under the cap)

Vasquez and Milcic are the same player.

From someone that has never seen Vasquez play? They're not alike at all.

Vasquez is a poor man's Nenad Krstic, and his value has dropped since he wimped out on the NBA. He was drafted too high as it was. Darko has a lot more value than he does, and that's why NBA GMs seemingly line up to contact Dumars about him.

interesting story out of Chicago.

"Gordon: Top-Grade Bait

Ben Gordon is coming off the best offensive week of his short career, three straight games of at least 30 points. That's right. Time to trade him. ... It's the same old story. He's probably the most valuable Bull, but he never will be any taller. Can he displace Kirk Hinrich at point guard? Can he be a defensive presence at shooting guard?"

Arroyo and Darko for Gordon and Chicago's 1st round pick? Gordon could be a servicable back-up for C-Note, add spark off the bench. It's looking like Chicago will be a lottery team as well. thoughts?

edit: just to clarify, this is mearly for conversation. I don't particularly want to trade Darko. Truth is, though, Arroyo can't seem to get off the bench and I don't believe Darko will ever be a player in Detroit(although I do think it's going to click for him eventually and he's gonna be a good-great player...just too much skill. the only thing holding him back is his head which will most likely get straight as he continues to mature. He's still under 21.)

interesting story out of Chicago.

"Gordon: Top-Grade Bait

Ben Gordon is coming off the best offensive week of his short career, three straight games of at least 30 points. That's right. Time to trade him. ... It's the same old story. He's probably the most valuable Bull, but he never will be any taller. Can he displace Kirk Hinrich at point guard? Can he be a defensive presence at shooting guard?"

Arroyo and Darko for Gordon and Chicago's 1st round pick? Gordon could be a servicable back-up for C-Note, add spark off the bench. It's looking like Chicago will be a lottery team as well. thoughts?

edit: just to clarify, this is mearly for conversation. I don't particularly want to trade Darko. Truth is, though, Arroyo can't seem to get off the bench and I don't believe Darko will ever be a player in Detroit(although I do think it's going to click for him eventually and he's gonna be a good-great player...just too much skill. the only thing holding him back is his head which will most likely get straight as he continues to mature. He's still under 21.)

Where do I sign?

Good God yes, do the deal and run far away very fast before the cops put out an APB for Grand Larceny.

Good God yes, do the deal and run far away very fast before the cops put out an APB for Grand Larceny.

Quoted for truth. Getting Gordon would be awesome.

I can't remember all of the players involved, but on a WDFN update at Noon they said the Magic/Piston deal was on hold pending discussions between Orlando, NY, and Denver with players moving all over the place, including Francis winding up in NY.