TigersMeow79

Rumored Milicic deal

I don't like the idea of trading away Davis at all. He will be needed in the playoffs at some point. It might be because they just need some extra fouls for Shaq or they have foul trouble, or the worst case scenario, one of the big 3 gets hurt. Either way, they will need him.

I was very critical of the Maxiell pick this summer. Turns out I was wrong. He has impressed me a great deal in the little time he has played, but no way do I want to count on him in the playoffs. He just isn't ready for that. Lets not even get started on Cato playing in the playoffs.

Davis brings defense, rebounding, and toughness. All things you can use in the playoffs and he has a lot of experience. Keeping him is more beneficial then trading him.

I heard on the radio the other day James has a player option for next season and is expected not to activate it so he can try out free agency. He has had a good year and feals he can make more money via free agency, and he is right. So even if we got him, it would only be for this year and next summer we are right back looking for another backup PG, plus we traded away things to get him. I think Joe will go in a different direction then James and get someone who will be here more then 30 games. Plus, Bosh has said publically that he wants James to stay in Toronto, so I figure they will not be giving him up anytime soon.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but Bill Simmons' ignorance shocks me. Bill, I know you're a Celtics fan, so you it's not totally your fault. But back in the world of rational basketball, when you have a franchise player, you can't make him a bench player. We could keep our starting 5 and have Dwyane Wade as a backup guard? Chris Bosh could be backing up Rasheed and Ben? Carmelo Stackhouse is Denver's franchise player, and he still finds things to complain about.

I know it's been addressed here over and over, but when are people going to stop criticizing Joe D for not picking Wade or Bosh? That draft was clearly about LeBron, Carmelo and Darko. I remember people being very unsure of Wade. Him and Bosh were never mentioned with the other three. But of course, that doesn't fit into Simmons' motives to bash Detroit.

And the Pistons are going to struggle to win a second championship? Um, they were a quarter away from doing that last year and last I checked, they're doing pretty well this year. No one's guaranteed anything, but I'd say they have as good a shot as anyone to win it this year, as well as the next couple of years.

Bill, the Pistons ended the Celtics run a long time ago. Why are you still so upset?

Simmons is a funny guy, but his analysis sucks.

He's a Celtic fan and he hates the Pistons...he'll never say anything good about Detroit if it's not hit over his head how wrong he is(ie. Tayshaun)

Nope. Doesn't work cap-wise.

ESPN has a trade deadline calculator where you can play with trades, and see salaries to calc if it'll work or not... but remember, it's gotta be a trade that makes sense, and not simply matches the dollars...

Obviously its got to make sense. I thought perhaps Toronto would see Cato's expiring contract as a way to bring in a top tier player to add to the Peterson/Bosh/Villanueva mix. Isn't that essentially what they've done with the deal for Antonio Davis, doesn't Davis' contract expire after this season?

So now we're one Chauncey Billups injury away from Lindsey Hunter and Alex Acker running the team.

Where's that trade for another point guard we've all heard so much about?

I thought Boykins would have been a nice addition...too bad he's a Sonic now though. Not real happy that Dumars couldn't get something done...If D-Train's right though, maybe there's still a shot.

So now we're one Chauncey Billups injury away from Lindsey Hunter and Alex Acker running the team.

Do you think being one injury away from Arroyo running this team was a much better situation?

My opinion is that Jesus could be the backup pg, and we'd still be hosed if Chauncey went out with an injury. lol

Do you think being one injury away from Arroyo running this team was a much better situation?

My opinion is that Jesus could be the backup pg, and we'd still be hosed if Chauncey went out with an injury. lol

Arroyo is better than Acker.

Of course we're hosed if one of the starting five gets seriously hurt. But I still think trading Arroyo weakened this team this year; the year they're trying to win it all. All in an apparent attempt to avoid the luxury tax (I hope, that's the only thing that makes any sense).

That trade was awful. Pure and simple. And if they can't find anyone to replace Arroyo, it's even worse.

hey...maybe Acker will surprise us...let's not over-react until we see him play a bit more. Can't give up on "In Joe We Trust" until it proves to be wrong.

hey...maybe Acker will surprise us...let's not over-react until we see him play a bit more. Can't give up on "In Joe We Trust" until it proves to be wrong.

Hopefully tonight will be a blowout and he'll get some time.

I thought I read on the Detroit News or Free Press website that Joe D was thinking about picking up Anthony Goldwire from the NBDL as a backup

Hopefully tonight will be a blowout and he'll get some time.

It was a blowout, and as expected, he didn't get any time.

I thought Boykins would have been a nice addition...too bad he's a Sonic now though. Not real happy that Dumars couldn't get something done...If D-Train's right though, maybe there's still a shot.

Wasnt it Watson that was traded? I think Boykins is still in Denver. And D-Train was wrong about the midnight thing I guess. Or maybe I was right, and the Pistons still didnt make a trade. Lets go with that, I hate being wrong.

If we lose Arroyo somehow in a deal, would Tony Delk out of Atlanta be a decent/cheap pickup? Atlanta's going youth, they'll be looking to deal TD.

Delk was my first choice to replace Arroyo...

It looks like Joe D is thinking the same... and I like it!!! (Especially since he would be a FREE agent pickup for this season only!!! (unless Joe gets him to sign on for a part of the mid-level... which would be even better!!!)).

From A Sherrod at M-Live (his blog, he's also got an article on the same subject):

Friday, February 24, 2006

Analyzing the possible Tony Delk addition

Although nothing can be done on Detroit's part until the Atlanta hawks waive him, Tony Delk appears to be the guy they want.

This will be yet another great move on the part of Joe D., who would be adding a veteran who has all the qualities they would want in another guard.

He can score, is a pretty decent defender, and definitely won't be overwhelmed by being around great players.

People forget that this is the same kid who played on a Kentucky team where the entire starting five featured first-round picks or guys who spent several years in the NBA.

I was around that team when they made their championship run. Delk wasn't the most talented guy on that team, but he was the glue of that unit. He was the guy, frankly, that stood head and shoulders above the rest in terms of being mentally strong.

If you want to play for this Pistons team, mental toughness is an absolute necessity.

Of course, Detroit will give consideration to some other guards out there, like Detroit native Howard Eisley and Anthony Goldwire, who played nine games for the Pistons last year.

But in the end, I really believe they'll wind up with Delk who may be the final piece in what's shaping up like another championship run.

Arroyo is better than Acker.

Of course we're hosed if one of the starting five gets seriously hurt. But I still think trading Arroyo weakened this team this year; the year they're trying to win it all. All in an apparent attempt to avoid the luxury tax (I hope, that's the only thing that makes any sense).

That trade was awful. Pure and simple. And if they can't find anyone to replace Arroyo, it's even worse.

And if we pick up Tony Delk for free? Will you still hold to the same opinion as quoted above?

Just interested in your answer... :grin:

And if we pick up Tony Delk for free? Will you still hold to the same opinion as quoted above?

Just interested in your answer... :grin:

You are assuming quite a few things here. First, he would have to clear waivers. Any team that is under the cap could claim him. Honestly, I dont know if any team is under the cap right now, so this might not be that big of a deal.

Second, that Delk wants to play here. Lets face it, Billups will be playing 40 minutes a night down the stretch and into the playoffs. With Delfino coming on strong, that leaves no extra minutes at the 2 spot. So Delk would be looking at 8-10 minutes a night. Many other teams would be interested in him and might be able to offer a better situation.

A lot of players would rather play then win a ring.

Delk is 32 and a career backup PG. What's he going to do with a few extra backup minutes over the next 30 games, that a possible championship ring wouldn't make up for....

And... if he's bought out of his contract, he's a FA. Why would he have to clear waivers? You only clear waivers when you are "waived".

Delk is 32 and a career backup PG. What's he going to do with a few extra backup minutes over the next 30 games, that a possible championship ring wouldn't make up for....

I agree, but that doesnt mean he does. I just tossed it out there, I didn't say it was fact.

And... if he's bought out of his contract, he's a FA. Why would he have to clear waivers? You only clear waivers when you are "waived".

Fromt he article that you posted:

Analyzing the possible Tony Delk addition

Although nothing can be done on Detroit's part until the Atlanta hawks waive him, Tony Delk appears to be the guy they want.

I'm just using the info that you posted, it doesnt talk of a buyout, only that he might be waived.

...he might be waived.

I still don't think he has to go through a waiver process.

Maybe. But didn't we do the same thing with Hunter after he was traded? He was bought out of his contract and he came back to us afterwards? I think it's the players' choice as a free agent. I may be wrong.

I still don't think he has to go through a waiver process.

Maybe. But didn't we do the same thing with Hunter after he was traded? He was bought out of his contract and he came back to us afterwards? I think it's the players' choice as a free agent. I may be wrong.

Think back to Campbell last year. NJ claimed him off of waivers when Utah let him go because they had a salary cap exception to use. We had no shot at him because we were over the cap. Yes, we did re-sign Hunter after trading him, but he had to clear waivers first.

When a player is waived, he has 48 hours (I think) on waivers. During that time, any team can claim him at his original salary the team that let him go was paying him. To claim him, his salary must fit under the cap, so that limits most teams from claiming someone. If he clears waivers, then the player is free to sign with any team he wants for the veterans minimum.