TigersMeow79

Rumored Milicic deal

Joe better have something up his sleeve. Billups needs a backup. Unless Joe suits up, there should be more trades coming.

This trade is crap. Joe had to get more for Darko. Darko and Arroyo are worth more than a garbage center and a future pick.

Some thoughts:

1) I'm not worried about a PG backup... they can be found pretty easily, so I could care less that Arroyo was part of the trade, except... that he seemed like a pretty decent player. But I'm certain there are other equivalents out there... so why all the tears over losing him? He's not the key at all.

2) Do Antonio Davis and Mike James salaries match up with Cato's? That would be an excellent trade.

3) I hate losing Darko's future potential. I think he'll turn into the next Dirk-like Euro star.

4) Getting the Magic's future 1st rounder makes up (possibly), for losing Darko. It gives us (hopefully) a key component for the future. I hope Joe doesn't turn around and trade this pick away. BTW: Didn't we select Darko with Denver's 1st rounder, that we traded Rodney White for? Or was that a different 1st rounder we had? Also, how did we get the Rodney White 1st rounder to begin with?

5) So... if memory serves, we traded _______ for a 1st rounder and selected White, traded White to Denver for their 1st and selected Darko, and have now traded Darko for the Magic's 1st rounder and will select _______!?!?! Seems like "the Neverending Story" to me.

6) Dumars made the decision that he needs to build a win-now team to make a Championship run for the next 3-5 years. That includes our current starting 5, who are just totally kicking ASK this year, and hopefully for the next 3-5 years as well... includes McDyess and Delfino... does NOT include Darko or Arroyo, or enough playing time for Darko to develop correctly... and includes whatever other spare parts this team will need to assist the STARTING 5 in it's next few years' of runs (Evans, Maxiell, Amir Johnson, Acker.... Mike James?!?!?). For THIS REASON ALONE, I can live with sending away Darko.

7) We better win a few championships in the next 5 years!

8) It sucks losing Darko. But otherwise, I'm fine with it.

How on earth does it help in the future? They will be at $60 million next year, do you honestly think that Sheed, Rip, Billups, Prince, and Ben will have contracts that go down in value over the years? That #60 million number will continue to grow and grow. The only noteable contract coming off the books anytime soon is McDyess in 2 years for something like $7 million. That wont help much when they are $20 million over the cap by then.

Well the cap goes up each year as well ( 6 million last year). The Pistons have done an amazing job of remaining fiscally responsible, and still having a good team. If they can give Tayshaun/Ben W 15-20 million in big raises next year, and still be at the same cap figure as they are at this year, that is another bit of Salary cap wizardry. As much credit as Dumars gets for building a great team quickly, the Pistons financial management is o be applauded as well.

84, Detroit selected Darko with a pick from Memphis, which they got in trade for Otis Thorpe.

I'm liking this trade less and less. Is this really the best we could get?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2332021

If the pick is 5 or better, the Magic keep it? The Magic could easily turn it around in two drafts with some high picks.

I'm biased, but I just recall hearing of some great offers the past year and a half for Darko. It looks like we waited too long.

I don't think it's likely Orlando will turn things around quickly, they've been bad for several years, no McGrady and Hill is about done, Francis is on his way out as well. Next year they have a chance to be Hawk like. They've had bad management for a while now.

Joe's not done. Everyone settle down.

Darko, IMO, would never have stayed past his contract based on his "treatment" here.

I said last week I hope I never see Arroyo in a Pistons uniform again. Wish granted. He was a LB pickup and Joe finally cut bait.

I wish they could have gotten more but we got a first rounder and Joe will be wheeling and dealing this weekend. Some names I've seen mentioned are Speedy Claxton, Tyronn Lue, and Brevin Knight (please make this one happen).

Let's just all relax. Take a deep breath and let Joe D. work. If he can't get anything done and we get screwed, then we can ***** and moan like women.

Yesterday, the guys on WDFN or WXYZ (forgot which station I was listening to at 4 o'clock) had an idea that the Pistons may trade that draft pick for Mike James. Seems pretty steep for James, but that was their speculation.

I doubt they would trade the Orlando Pick for James, but it's possible they would trade their own pick for him. To me James is a significant upgrade over Arroyo.

I doubt they would trade the Orlando Pick for James, but it's possible they would trade their own pick for him. To me James is a significant upgrade over Arroyo.

concur

I don't think it's likely Orlando will turn things around quickly, they've been bad for several years, no McGrady and Hill is about done, Francis is on his way out as well. Next year they have a chance to be Hawk like. They've had bad management for a while now.

I think the opposite.

I think we get their pick next year because it won't be top 5.

Dwight Howard is a beast. Darko has gone through the "wringer", and by now, should be ready to contribute. He'll be up-and-down for the next few years, but should be able to contribute enough to get some wins. They hope Vazquez will come over next year. They'll have a top 5 pick this year cause once Francis is traded, this team will tank. They'll have Arroyo and Nelson and Dooling... not stars, but.... the team will be very young, with lots of talented bigs. I see them as very similar to Toronto this year, who've been playing pretty well of late. Not saying the Magic'll be world-beaters next year... but I'm thinking they won't be Atlanta either...

I may be wrong however.

Concur #2.

the pick is 2007 or 2008 from what I've read. Not 2006. If that's wrong though...that is the worst brokering of a trade ever. If Orlando gets to keep a top 5 pick and then is allowed 2 years to improve a team with 20-22 year old Darko, 20-22 year old Howard, and whoever their first round pick is next year before we get that pick Dumars should be fired.

I believe Lue is done for the season with a blown out knee, but I could be wrong.

I know it has been stated here before but i'll repeat it again. Teams can spend all the money they wish to resign their own players, so the cap basically has nothing to do with this situation. At no time in the near future will the Piston's come close to being under the cap, I believe only Charlotte and Atlanta are the only two that are currently under the cap. Detroit could give all their players on the roster max contracts if they wanted to, but would just have to pay more of a luxury tax, (see Knicks).

It's not even a matter of freeing up money, basically, unless Joe D was told that he had to stay under a certain level of total team salary then this move really wasn't meant to get near the cap.

Whereas a 6 to 12 pick next year is worth?

(pardon my ignorance...)

Much more, this is the first age limited draft. All the potential players who would have been available this year, will have to come out next year, and many who should have came out this year, came out last year to beat the deadline. This will be a very thin draft. Amir Johnson would have been one of the prizes in this draft had went to Louisville for a year, for example.

Whereas a 6 to 12 pick next year is worth?

(pardon my ignorance...)

I think, and I"m just guessing, his point is, the longer we can put off getting a high pick the better as it's less time the guy has to rot away on the bench ala Darko.

I'm thinking I really don't need to post on this thread...I agree with most of what Buddha says. His latest...Lue stinks :mad:

Boy if Joe can spin a crappy backup PG to replace another crappy backup PG then this deal will be awesome!!

:dead:

Speedy Claxton and Tyronn Lue and even Mike James are not very good and not worth it.

"I see them as very similar to Toronto this year, who've been playing pretty well of late. Not saying the Magic'll be world-beaters next year... but I'm thinking they won't be Atlanta either..."

Um, Toronto and Atlanta are both going to be lottery teams. Last I checked they were 1 game apart in the loss column. Saying that Orlando is going to be like Toronto is saying that we're going to get a solid pick from this - I concur with that.

"Speedy Claxton and Tyronn Lue and even Mike James are not very good and not worth it."

Mike James is not that good? Wow. Have you been watching him this year? How about his defense and spark off the bench when we won the championship? He'd be one heck of an upgrade over Arroyo. In fact I think he had 20+ points and 9 assists yesterday.

But back to the trade. After thinking about this for a while, this is how I break it down:

1) Darko for a future 1st rounder (from a bad team) - I think this is simply amazing. It's like getting a mulligan. We had a 1st round pick, we took a chance, it didn't work out, Joe turned it into a "do-over". Now we get to try again. Not too many other teams get to turn a bust (for us) high first rounder into another high first round pick to try again. I love this move.

2) Arroyo for an 8 Mil expiring contract - again, this rocks. Arroyo was not working out. He was inconsistent and a horrible defensive liability. The bench has absolutely no identity and the point guard is the leader when he's out there. I was honestly hoping that his minutes would go away and Lindsay would take them anyway so at least our bench would get a better defensive identity. That's been accomplished, only we also drop Arroyo's contract and get an 8 Mil expiring contract in the process. That kind of contract is gold to GM's around the league. So, Joe will dangle that contract out there when he's face to face with all the GMs during all star weekend and try to swing a deal for another backup PG. If we get one, awesome! If not, we've lost nothing because Arroyo's inconsistent play was not helping this team, you could see that Hunter was going to start taking his minutes, and we were better off with Lindsay's consistent defense anyway.

If you're telling me that Lindsay could get hurt, then I'll tell you that Joe could get another guard in the next week...they are both "if"s, so we'll just have to see. But either way, I don't think losing an inconsistent PG that was about to lose his minutes anyway and getting an 8 Mil dollar expiring contract in the process hurts us in any way.

Tyronn Lue? Who wants Tyronn Lue? He stinks.

10.5 PPG

3.1 ***

1.5 TO

45.5% FG

44% 3 P

24 MPG

Seems to me he would be a perfect to fill in for 10 MPG. Ian, Lue doesn't suck and did you hear Dumars talk about signing Billups? Don't ignore the truth.

I was wrong about the knee, why do i remember hearing that

Gotta remember that his stats will definitely be inflated because he plays on the worst team in the league

I was wrong about the knee, why do i remember hearing that

Gotta remember that his stats will definitely be inflated because he plays on the worst team in the league

I think that only goes so far, his assist-turnover ratio is very good. That tells me even with a poor team he still can take care of the basketball and that's what the Pistons need, doesn't hurt that he has a smaller contract and shoots better than Arroyo as well.

Cato for Antonio Davis + Mike James would still be at the top of my list... although James might really chafe at getting stuck behind Chauncey... again.