C Kelly Shoppach

OF Jason Michaels

Red Sox get:

OF Coco Crisp

RP David Riske

C Josh Bard

Phillies get:

LRP Arthur Rhodes

The Indians get worse for 2006 but better for the future.

In the long-term, this trade definitely helps the Indians by leaps and bounds if Marte & Shoppach develop as some believe they will. However, it does make them somewhat weaker in the outfield this season, as Micheals is a downgrade from Crisp.

Sizemore CF

Michaels LF

Peralta SS

Hafner DH

Martinez C

Belliard 2B

Broussard 1B

Boone 3B

Blake RF

I think this lineup could be very underrated. I don't know if, when combined with the pitching, the team has enough to win the division, but I wouldn't be surprised if they give the ChiSox a run.

Crisp is a very good talent to give up, but the return that the Tribe good is good as well.

Personally, if I were an Indians fan, I'd be against this move. They have a chance to win right now and Crisp is still an above average player who is still cheap. Marte and Shoppach are not even average major league regulars right now and Jason Michaels is best termed "on the fringe". Mota and Rhodes is almost a wash in my opinion. Yes, I'd rather have Mota but he was not good in '05 and it sounds like his arm is a mess (plus he has FA right around the corner so it's not like they can really wait on his health).

This deal has a lot of upside for the Indians, but if I have a chance to win now I don't give up on one of the top 5 lead-off men (IMO) in the game.

I'm surprised that Casey Blake lasted longer in Cleveland than Crisp did. When they got Boone I thought Blake's days were number.

I am gonna go out on a limb and say Crisp has as good or better an OPS than Damon this year.

I agree...Which is why I think it was probably good for Red Sox to not meet Damon's demands, and it was a good move by the Yankees to do so. New York doesn't have anything in their system remotely equivalent to Marte and Shoppach. Boston still has some nice players they can deal - is everyone expecting them to make more moves before the season?

-Tony

I am gonna go out on a limb and say Crisp has as good or better an OPS than Damon this year.

OT, does that bold prediction have something to do with the fact that he already did it in 2005?:cheeky:

I think the Injuns wuz robbed, their village wuz burned, their women raped, and their beer stolen !!!

Yeeeee-ouch. Thank-you Archie Bunker for bringing up those all-too-familiar stereotypes. Tonight - no peace-pipe for you. :smoker:

Yeeeee-ouch. Thank-you Archie Bunker for bringing up those all-too-familiar stereotypes. Tonight - no peace-pipe for you. :smoker:

Whups. Didn't really mean to link Native Americans with beer there. Well my wife is Chippewa, so I guess I'll go apologize now !!! :knocked: :knocked:

How did the Indians get robbed in this deal? They got Marte and Shoppach, who, when ready, will be mainstays on that team for a decade -- not to mention Michaels, who is a pretty good defender in his own right and not not a slouch with the bat. Think Bobby right before he broke out and had that big season. I knew that someone was going to trade for Jason Michaels. If he didn't have so much off-the-field baggage, he probably would have been traded long ago. Even if he only has one Higgyesque good year, so what? They've still got Marte and Shoppach in the deal, and they can either trade for an outfielder or look within the organization. I just don't see how this was a bad trade by the Indians at all. I think it was Boston that overpayed. They had Andy Marte just burning a hole in their pockets and had to move him. Welp they did and now they once again have very little in the prospect cupboard. Yet another reason why I never regret hating the Red Sox.

Welp they did and now they once again have very little in the prospect cupboard.

Well, this isn't quite true.....even with the departure of Ramirez, Sanchez, and Marte this offseason, they still have a very solid farm system. They've had quite a good system for the last several years.

Nice deal for the Tribe. Crisp is a good player, but he loses value in a corner outfield spot.

Agreed...I think the Indians got more talent, but this is a deal I like for both clubs.

-Tony

Personally, if I were an Indians fan, I'd be against this move. They have a chance to win right now and Crisp is still an above average player who is still cheap. Marte and Shoppach are not even average major league regulars right now and Jason Michaels is best termed "on the fringe". Mota and Rhodes is almost a wash in my opinion. Yes, I'd rather have Mota but he was not good in '05 and it sounds like his arm is a mess (plus he has FA right around the corner so it's not like they can really wait on his health).

This deal has a lot of upside for the Indians, but if I have a chance to win now I don't give up on one of the top 5 lead-off men (IMO) in the game.

I just don't think this alters their chances of winning now that much. Michaels has always been somewhat underrated, he has a lifetime major league OBP of .380. Crisp is the higher valued player, to be sure, but I don't think the drop-off is all that substantial. Marte put up monster numbers at AA and AAA as a 20 and 21 year old. Cleveland, last year, had a .630 OPS from the third base position, and no help coming from the farm. This is a great move for them down the road and I think, a wash for them next year. That being said, for a team like Boston, heading into next season, this a move they had to make. Their farm system is still impressive, with Lester, Paplebon, Pedoria and a nice assortment of first round picks in the lower levels. After this trade, I think they're in a solid position for the season.

-Tony