after the mission concludes, New Horizons will return to its previous mission as an "alternative" high school, center for abused women, and drug rehab center.

after the mission concludes, New Horizons will return to its previous mission as an "alternative" high school, center for abused women, and drug rehab center.

Outstanding.

I wish there was audio on this... or some sort of countdown timer.

eidt - nevermind there it is.

Low clouds... there will be a delay... they're shooting for 1:40 ET

The clouds stretch out a couple hundred miles to the east.... I doubt it'll be within the next 45 minutes or so.

The clouds stretch out a couple hundred miles to the east.... I doubt it'll be within the next 45 minutes or so.

You're welcome guys :cheeky: Launch will be at 2.

Holy crap! I saw it out my window. You don’t realize how fast that thing moves until you see it in person. The thing disappeared in a matter of 5 or 6 seconds. Just zipped across the sky. You could see this bright white/yellow glow followed by a trail of smoke. I didn’t expect it to be moving so fast though. I thought I’d be able to see it for at least a minute or so.

You couldn't have posted that within 10 minutes? Slacker.

Beautiful!

You couldn't have posted that within 10 minutes? Slacker.

Beautiful!

I've never been able to see a launch in person, it's one of the things I want to see most. When we had two tries to launch GOES last August, I was stuck in the launch control room in Maryland rather than being at the Cape. Of course, it never went so it's not like I missed anything.

New Horizons is really cool because they took a small spacecraft and put it on the biggest rocket they could find to cut down the travel time to Pluto. 9 hours to the moon is insane. That's an average speed from launch of 26,500 mph.

That's an average speed from launch of 26,500 mph.

Aren't you supposed to go back in time by traveling that fast?

I'll tell you it's one of the coolest things I've ever seen. It's so much more impressive in person. Cameras don't do it justice. You have to get down here to see one.

Launch speed was advertized at 36K mph or 1.5 min from Canaveral to NYC if headed that way; and i missed it. For those of us used to watching a shuttle launch, we forget how fast the little guys go. Was this a Delta?

Roger

Launch speed was advertized at 36K mph or 1.5 min from Canaveral to NYC if headed that way; and i missed it. For those of us used to watching a shuttle launch, we forget how fast the little guys go. Was this a Delta?

Roger

I thought about calling you too. I should have. Next time.

I once saw a launch when I was on Spring Break in Daytona Beach. We were in our room on the first night and there was a big group of people standing around the pool below our balcony. I yelled down to ask what was going on and they said they were watching the launch. So we watched and it was spectacular. It was even better at night because we could see it for such a long time.

Roger

Atlas V. Our spacecraft is riding a Delta and with the Boeing strike, and being pushed out of our launch window last August, we're waiting around for our own launch.