Sign in to follow this  
Motor City Sonics

The presser

Originally posted by Euphdude

As I stated earlier, he was only responsible for a small group of specialized defensive players, who inherently have a bit of a mind set all of their own due to the nature of their position.

this is from an article posted earlier:

Marinelli spent the past 10 seasons in Tampa Bay as defensive line coach and had the title of assistant head coach added in 2002. Under his direction the Bucs set an NFL record by recording at least one sack in 69 straight games from '99 to '03. In fact, Marinelli was the one who coined the phrase "Pound the Rock," which became the Bucs motto during their Super Bowl season in 2002.

But Marinelli's value to the Bucs extended well beyond the players he taught on the defensive line.

A disciplinarian and technician on the field, Marinelli is a quiet, inspirational leader off it. He interviewed for the Oakland Raiders coaching job Monday and traveled Tuesday night to suburban Detroit to interview for a second time with Millen. On Wednesday, Marinelli met with Lions owner William Clay Ford and vice chairman Bill Ford.

"There's no question in my mind that Rod will be successful because of his consistency," Barry said. "It's the truest measure of his performance. Look at his track record. Everywhere he's been, the players have played hard for him.

"It's not just the defensive linemen. Players just respond to him. Ask Brad Johnson, Keenan McCardell or John Lynch. He touches all those guys, and now he will have an affect on all the players."

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=640120&postcount=6

Sounds like he had more responsibility than just d-line.

I prefer to call it realism, but I see your point...

Only if you're certain that what you think is real. Otherwise you're being cynical. Nothing wrong with that, but I think you're confusing the two.

Only if you're certain that what you think is real. Otherwise you're being cynical. Nothing wrong with that, but I think you're confusing the two.

We are basing our evaluation of Marinelli on today's press conference, other press clippings, and his record as a defensive line coach. All of these things tell us nothing about good of a head coach he will be - especially since he has no head coaching or coordinating experience. Right now he's talking the talk (which is easy), and it SOUNDS like he's the right man for the job based off of that talk and the recommendations of others. Realistically, we have no way of knowing he's the real deal until he gets some head coaching experience under his belt, and unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view) he won't get any until the Lions play their first game this season.

That I agree with. Way too early to call him a good NFL head coach. But I think its reasonable to at least be optimistic.

That I agree with. Way too early to call him a good NFL head coach. But I think its reasonable to at least be optimistic.

I think the appropriate term would be "Optirealmistic".

I think the appropriate term would be "Optirealmistic".

Nobody should ever be optimistic with the Lions, we should expect failure. They have done nothing since 1957 to suggest that any shred of optimism is warranted.

Nobody should ever be optimistic with the Lions, we should expect failure. They have done nothing since 1957 to suggest that any shred of optimism is warranted.

Agreed wholeheartedly, hence the newly invented term, which for the Lions means "misplaced optimism when 57 years of realism suggests the same mediocre outcome will take place".

You're a fair-weatherist though. We don't care for your opinion, Skins fan!! :devious:

You're a fair-weatherist though. We don't care for your opinion, Skins fan!! :devious:

I wish I was. I wish I could stop caring about the Lions and move on. I really, really do, I'm sick of them ruining my Sundays. When they win, I'll watch the highlights all night long, when they lose, it ruins my friggin' day.

I did enjoy having a rooting interest in a meaningful football game in January though.

I know you're joking, but from what I've seen MCO is far from a fair-weather fan. If he didn't care then he wouldn't take the time to post about the Lions on a frequent basis.

Haven't you "adopted" the Bucs as your second team since you live down there?

Agreed wholeheartedly, hence the newly invented term, which for the Lions means "misplaced optimism when 57 years of realism suggests the same mediocre outcome will take place".

Mediocre? Mediocre is known as the height of the history of the Detroit Lions since '57. We yearn for mediocre.

Mediocre? Mediocre is known as the height of the history of the Detroit Lions since '57. We yearn for mediocre.

'91 was not a mediocre year, and some of the other early 90's teams weren't quite so bad, hence the "mediocre" generalization.

1 playoff win... I feel safe in my generalization.

That 1 playoff win elevates them to a level above total garbage and below mediocre. We need a generalization that fits that description.

Haven't you "adopted" the Bucs as your second team since you live down there?

Haha... no freaking way! Can't stand 'em. I will say, however, that I was sort of rooting for them in the playoffs just because I like some of the younger talent and because they were underdogs. That's the extent of it.

I do like the D'Rays though.

Do you remember 1991?

Do you remember 1991?

I did state earlier that '91 and other years in the early to mid 90s weren't so bad, with '91 being the high point.

Hopefully Marinelli will help bring the Lions more years like '91 (minus the Utley injury), but frankly I'm not counting on it.

I hate the term 'presser'. Sounds like a term that someone started who thinks they are cool and is probably a dork.

What is sports without hope or optimism? No matter how many years I come away disappointed I will never lose either one. I think once you lose that you might as well stop paying attention.

What is sports without hope or optimism? No matter how many years I come away disappointed I will never lose either one. I think once you lose that you might as well stop paying attention.

It may never leave, but it may be tempered by years of disappointment.

25 years of Lions fandom have tempered my expectations, but based on the presser and what I've read I like the hire. He had me at Eric Hipple.

Hello, I just found this site and like being able to hear about the Lions from someone besides Lomas Brown. I like what I'm hearing from this Rod guy. If we add together the facts that: 1) the lions were looking for a disciplinarian 2) this guy comes from the military 3) TB was awful reluctant to let him out into the coaching pool 4) this guys history paints a picture of hard nosed coaching resulting in serious effort on the field 5) this guy said in the presser that..." I'm not here to change personalities... there are standards... you are your tape" ; I think we come up with a seriously real caoch who will change the direction of this team from gathering talent and inspiring free agents to show up with big named coach( mooch) to turning what we've gathered into a real football machine. Who probably won't win 9 games next year.