Sign in to follow this  
Oblong

35-5

I don't know if the Pistons can really "compete" with the Tigers' 35-5 start. This may sound stupid to some but I think it would be harder for a team to go 35-5 in baseball than an NBA team to go maybe even 40-0. And it sounds stupid I guess because 35-5 has happened but 40-0 never has. Still with all the things that have to go right in baseball - you must have at least 10 healthy pitchers that are consistent pretty much for 40 games and must not have about 12 regulars in your lineup not have a funk at the same time, however slight it may be. It just seems to me it's really tough to compare the two. For example there have been tons of basketball teams to win 70% of their games (58 wins does that). There are baseball teams that have won 114 games (baseball's equivalent) but the number is tremendously less.

In basketball there are less variables. It is possible to have a rotation of 8 guys that remain healthy and consistent - at least much more possible than for baseball. And the history of the range of what the "typical" win percentages in the leagues are would suggest this to be true. The one issue basketball has is four-games-in-five-night situations against teams that are much fresher. Maybe because of that maybe dropping the record to 38-2 is fair. I think that would be pretty much an equivalent. Then again it's never happened, so I can be off too. I don't think we'll ever see a baseball team start 35-5 again.

To put in perspective...

As long as I've watched baseball I always thought any team could win a three-game series during any given week against any team. I wouldn't be as comfortable about saying the same thing for basketball. The extremes I think would happen much less in basketball (a great losing to a bad team) than in baseball.

I think if the Pistons are to "outshine" any accomplishment the Tigers achieved now they can do it a few ways.

1. Win another title. No Tiger team has ever won two World Championships with essentially the same nucleus. We've come close a few times (1907-09, 1934-34, 1944-45, 1967-1968 and 1972 if you want to stretch it and 1983 to about 1987 if you want to stretch that again) but it has never happened. Pistons winning two titles in three years and making the finals three years in a row is something unprecidented for the Tigers. Of course the Pistons have already done that with the Bad Boys but we are comparing them with the Tigers. So this could be the second time a Pistons team has "out-accomplished" the Tigers in some sense.

2. Winning let's say 68 games. That would be the most Pistons wins in a season and despite the fact that the win percentage is much less than a 40-game span that would be over the course of the season. So strangely if the Pistons don't come close to accomplishing what they did in the first 40 in the last 42 but still get 68 wins I'll say they've over-achieved the Tigers.

3. Going something like 16-2 in the playoffs. The 1984 Tigers lost one playoff game. If the Pistons went 16-2 and swept three series that would be pretty tremendous.

Again, My opinion

I think this whole, "which is more impressive" question is pretty much silly and will say they're both very impressive. In baseball you don't have anywhere near the fatigue question that basketball poses. You also have 10 different guys who all can be relied on to come up big as opposed to basketball where in most cases you only have 3-5 guys where a big game can be expected from. On top of this, in baseball, you get one guy who comes in completely fresh, having not played in 5 days at least. An injury to a starter in baseball is far less of a killer than an injury to a starter in basketball. Also, the "we're playing the best team so let's bring out A game" factor is almost non-existant in baseball as opposed to basketball.

Bottomline is, they're both very impressive, and niether one out-does the other in my opinion.

I think this whole, "which is more impressive" question is pretty much silly and will say they're both very impressive. In baseball you don't have anywhere near the fatigue question that basketball poses. You also have 10 different guys who all can be relied on to come up big as opposed to basketball where in most cases you only have 3-5 guys where a big game can be expected from. On top of this, in baseball, you get one guy who comes in completely fresh, having not played in 5 days at least. An injury to a starter in baseball is far less of a killer than an injury to a starter in basketball. Also, the "we're playing the best team so let's bring out A game" factor is almost non-existant in baseball as opposed to basketball.

Bottomline is, they're both very impressive, and niether one out-does the other in my opinion.

I agree with this and you can also include travel. I don't know how many west coast trips the Tigers made during that 40 game stretch but the Pistons made it common place early in the year to spend a lot of time on the road. Both are very impressive.

I wasn't comparing the Tigers impressive start in '84 directly to this year's Pistons. They're are apples and oranges. I think DTroppens nailed it with baseball having more variables day-to-day.

But I wonder what it would take for fans to look back at the 2005-06 season for the Pistons and say "wow". "35-5" has real meaning to Tiger fans, and maybe diehard baseball fans in general. What number would the Pistons have to hit for people to remember?

And winning a championship would go hand-in-hand with any record start having significant meaning. If the Tigs would have lost in '84, 35-5 wouldn't mean a whole lot.

I wasn't comparing the Tigers impressive start in '84 directly to this year's Pistons. They're are apples and oranges. I think DTroppens nailed it with baseball having more variables day-to-day.

But I wonder what it would take for fans to look back at the 2005-06 season for the Pistons and say "wow". "35-5" has real meaning to Tiger fans, and maybe diehard baseball fans in general. What number would the Pistons have to hit for people to remember?

And winning a championship would go hand-in-hand with any record start having significant meaning. If the Tigs would have lost in '84, 35-5 wouldn't mean a whole lot.

It might take the Pistons winning 70 which will heat up I imagine after today and their next week. Their next week of games is brutal.

Lakers-Sunday

Back to back-Tue,Wed

Back to back-Fri,Sat

Let's say for instance they go 4-1 that puts them at 39-6. It's not a stretch of great teams but it could sap some energy. Toughest game probably on the road in NJ but they can win that, they have a couple road games in Philly, Indy. Might lose one of those but both teams are really struggling.

It may sound arrogant but there is only one team preventing the Pistons from winning 70 games and that would be the Pistons. They're already 10 games up on the Eastern lead, 4 games up on homecourt through the finals. If they clinch early with a chance to win 70 I doubt you see 70. If San Antonio continues to push them they will win 70.

2. Winning let's say 68 games. That would be the most Pistons wins in a season and despite the fact that the win percentage is much less than a 40-game span that would be over the course of the season. So strangely if the Pistons don't come close to accomplishing what they did in the first 40 in the last 42 but still get 68 wins I'll say they've over-achieved the Tigers.
Just want to make a slight objection to this statement...in order to go 68-14 from this point on(I refuse to say from 40 games cuz that assumes they win and I don't want to jinx them) they'd have to go 34-9...that's a pretty damn good record too and almost as impressive as what they've already done.

Just want to make a slight objection to this statement...in order to go 68-14 from this point on(I refuse to say from 40 games cuz that assumes they win and I don't want to jinx them) they'd have to go 34-9...that's a pretty damn good record too and almost as impressive as what they've already done.

Nothing suprises me really with this team. With the regular starting five, they have won over 80% of their games since acquiring Sheed.

DaBishop,

We have all forgot that winning 8 of 10 games in any 10-game stretch is pretty darn good! And if you lose two of three suddenly you need to win seven straight to do that. I'd argue if they win 68 games that is clearly more impressive than what they've done to this point. That's why I put it on the list here. I still think it would take very little for them to "slip" to a 65-68 win season. An injury here or there. A loss of intensity when they've clinched home court through the playoffs by game 66...:classic:

This will be a great moment tonight. No denying. Heck if they lose it's not like 34-6 is chopped liver! I'll take that too. And this is the third game in four nights so this one won't come easy I figure.

I say 68- 71 region with no Jordan is more impressive than 72 with Jordan.