Sign in to follow this  
Oblong

35-5

Agreed. Baseball games are much more fickle. The difference between the best and worst teams in baseball is much closer than in basketball.

I also think it's because one player (a pitcher) can dominate a baseball game more easily than any basketball player, thus a lesser team can more easily upset a better team in baseball. Not a comment on which sport is better (baseball), just an observation about the dynamic of the two sports.

On the other hand, because basketball is such a rhythm and flow sport, it's not uncommon for five guys to get on the same page for an extended period of time. It's easier to win 60 in basketball than to win 110 in baseball.

Winning 60 in basketball is more like winning 100 in baseball I'd say. While both are great accomplishments, both have a good shot at happening any given year.

35-5 for the Pistons is still very impressive. It's just not quite the same as the Tigers going 35-5.

I'd really be okay with either one at this point.

Although, I've said it before and I'll say it again -- born and raised on a losing Tigers team, I would sacrifice every Red Wings, Pistons and Michigan football win in my memory for one Tiger playoff run.

That would be really cool. But 35-5 in baseball is more impressive by quite a bit if you ask me.

The Phoenix Suns started 31-4 last year so it is definately easier in basketball.

traitors.

Obviously it's easier in basketball but it's still something I want the Tigers to keep. Pistons can go 76-6, just keep 35-5 for our Tigers.

It seemed like Sparky got thrown out of every one of those 5 games. I still remember...9-0, 17-1, etc. Their road record was especially awesome.

It seemed like Sparky got thrown out of every one of those 5 games. I still remember...9-0, 17-1, etc. Their road record was especially awesome.

Yes I believe they started 17-0 on the road. They were trying to break the record in Seattle and proceeded to lose 3 straight to fall to 35-8. And Toronto was right on their heels then.

Same with the Pistons as San Antonio is 30-9 only 3 games behind. The Pistons must keep winning. I mentioned Phoenix who started 31-4 last year (after a losing season the year before) then they lost 6 straight to fall to 31-10. If someone gets hurt SA could easily get homecourt advantage.

I don't see how it takes anything away from the Tigers if the Pistons do it. I think they should invite a group of '84 Tigers to attend the game on Wednesday night. I bet Gibby would be glad to attend, and would be rooting for the Pistons to get it done!

You are all right - that 17-0 road start had to be the most remarkable record of that team. I remember that Mariner series well. The last game was on TV and the Mariner fans brought brooms to the game.

If they do it, Weds game will be win 35, and I will be there. So I'm pulling for them.

I don't see the big commotion in the Pistons going 35-5 to tie the Tigers' 1984 start.

It's not like 35-5 would be the best start ever in the NBA or anything.

Now that would be cool if two Detroit teams had identical records for the best ever starts in each league.

What I don't get is people saying the Tigers streak is more impressive? Haven't other baseball teams gone 35-5 for a stretch? I mean didn't Oakland pull that off last year? The Yanks when they won 119 must have had a stretch like that. Teams pull off amazing streaks all the time. 35-5 is very impressive in any sport but that is only one quarter of a baseball season, 35-5 in basketball is half of your season. It would be like going 70-10 in a baseball season.

What I don't get is people saying the Tigers streak is more impressive? Haven't other baseball teams gone 35-5 for a stretch? I mean didn't Oakland pull that off last year? The Yanks when they won 119 must have had a stretch like that. Teams pull off amazing streaks all the time. 35-5 is very impressive in any sport but that is only one quarter of a baseball season, 35-5 in basketball is half of your season. It would be like going 70-10 in a baseball season.

If you win 119 games, you still lose 43. That's a less than 75% win rate. The best in history, I believe, is 116 wins in the old 154 game sked, 38 losses, also about a 75% rate. That's the best EVER in baseball. Meanwhile, the Bulls won 72 out of 82 games, basketball's best. That's nearly a 90% winning rate.

35-5 is a 87.5% win rate. That almost NEVER happens in baseball. Too hard. Too easy to lose games on bad bounces, bad game by your starter, blown save opportunity, running into a hot starter (can't do anything against him, you lose...). It is MUCH harder to go 35-5 in baseball, than in basketball. 35-5 by the Pistons is not the best ever in basketball, Bulls beat that, and there have been several other starts or stretches similar to that, in recent history (fom '65 to-date), I think NBA TV listed like 6 such starts (incl. Bulls twice I think, Suns last year, Knicks in '69/70, etc...)

35-5 is unprecedented in baseball. Best start EVER in MLB (40 games). And you'd be hard pressed to find another hot stretch like that, ANYWHERE in baseball history. Maybe one exists, but I can think of none off the top of my head...

That being said, the Pistons start is just WICKEDLY EXCELLENT!!!! :grin:

I don't see how it takes anything away from the Tigers if the Pistons do it. I think they should invite a group of '84 Tigers to attend the game on Wednesday night. I bet Gibby would be glad to attend' date=' and would be rooting for the Pistons to get it done![/quote']

Ditto. That'd be cool too, if Gibby and Tram and others decided to stop by to honor that.

From a Detroit perspective I think it would be really cool if they do this tonight. I can't wait. Well I'll have to wait. I'm going to be playing poker so I'll be taping the game.