gt

Erie Surprises this Year??

Lakeland had an awesome team last year and I envision almost everyone making the jump to Erie. Who do you think will be the biggest surprise for Erie in 06? I realize that Tata, Sanchez, and de la Cruz are on the radar, but who is not on the radarscreen and surprises us in Erie this year?

It will be interesting to see what kind of power numbers Hunt can put up there, too....

Clevlen should show some better power numbers, too.....

I think Erie is going to be very good.........

Oh yeah....and de la Cruz gets absolutely shelled over the first two months of the season (at least).

It wouldn't surprise me to see Tata give up some gopher balls as well.

I'm excited to see what Clevlen does at the next level. Note: I'll take Clevlen as my AAT again if no one minds. :cool:

Tata had a 3:2 groundball to flybal ratio in 2005, and only gave up a homerun every 13 innings in one of the better hitters parks of the Florida State League, on a year where offense was up in the FSL. The sinking action on Tata's fastball should help him keep his homeruns down.

As for Clevlen as your AAT, I believe you'll have to draft him again.

Tata had a 3:2 groundball to flybal ratio in 2005, and only gave up a homerun every 13 innings in one of the better hitters parks of the Florida State League, on a year where offense was up in the FSL. The sinking action on Tata's fastball should help him keep his homeruns down.

As for Clevlen as your AAT, I believe you'll have to draft him again.

Tata's HR/9 ratio sat at .7 while the entire team's ratio was .64. The leage average was .73. He had a slight problem with the HR ball that COULD show up more at Erie.

I hope I can get Clevlen but I don't post just to post and if the draft went the same way as last year I doubt he'll be available. If I get an exception or Shaggy does the weighted draft, I stand a chance of landing him again.

You guys confident Hunt goes to Erie, rather than returning as an extra at Lakeland? He hit .215 last year. Maybe 1B at Erie will be manned by someone like Maples.

I haven't started to do a detailed evaluation of where people will end up, but Hunt certainly didn't earn a promotion. I won't be surprised if he goes up there though.

I haven't started to do a detailed evaluation of where people will end up, but Hunt certainly didn't earn a promotion. I won't be surprised if he goes up there though.

If for no other reason than to make room for Larish at Lakeland. If anything he's earned a trip back to WM. (joking, sort of)

He seemed to me to be a lot like Carlos Pena... and the same for Brent in 2004. Just didn't look at all sure of himself. Not aggressive at all... would take a fastball down the middle and swing at a slider 2 feet off the plate. It seemed more mental than physical with him.

If for no other reason than to make room for Larish at Lakeland. If anything he's earned a trip back to WM. (joking, sort of)

He seemed to me to be a lot like Carlos Pena... and the same for Brent in 2004. Just didn't look at all sure of himself. Not aggressive at all... would take a fastball down the middle and swing at a slider 2 feet off the plate. It seemed more mental than physical with him.

WM didn't have Larish last year (we had Parrish)

I will be doing some sort of a breakdown of where people could end up at some point this week.

I agree that Clevlen and McKinney's power should translate well to Uht park. Look out for Danilo Sanchez this year too. He should post a big year in Erie, unless he starts in Toledo. Frankly, I wouldn't be shocked if he makes it to the Big Leagues if Wilson stinks it up or Pudge gets hurt.

The key is to not be fooled by Erie offensive statistics. If McKinney or Clevlen have big years, it will be important for enthusiasms to be tempered to prevent major letdowns later on.

We often equate Spring Training only to the Majors, and must remember the minor league guys are fighting for position as well at the same time. The question for Lakeland's 1st base is up for performance. If Erie wants Kelly, Jeff has the bag; otherwise a short season competition is on deck. Kelly did a fair job on the bag without a great performance at the plate. He definitely needs to display more in ST to advance or even keep Larish at bay. EZ likes Larish and he didn't have Kelly in camp for comparison.

Microline133, I look forward to further prognosis...

Roger

Kurt Airoso hits 28 Hr's in part-time duty, also being elected mayor of Erie.
Kurt has been there so long, he must have grandkids living there (and I kid because he was a fan favorite 2 decades ago when he was in Lakeland.)

Roger

WM didn't have Larish last year (we had Parrish)

Larish should skip WM this season. Sorry to any WM fans, however he is an advanced college hitter that should be pushed at least to Lakeland.

Kelly Hunt was awful last season and I wouldn't mind pushing him back down to WM to make room for Larish.

I was thinking of Hunt as a Lakeland extra/DH with Larish as the regular 1B there; Hunt assuming the role Nicholson had last year.

The leap from A-ball to AA is pretty imposing and, given the year Hunt had in 2005, things could get ugly for him at Erie. I'm just guessing, of course, and if Hunt rakes this ST, he could go there.

Actually, the same may be true for Larish, depending on the ST he has. If he mashes, it's not out of the question he could start at Erie; if he struggles badly, he might end up at WM. Lakeland's the most likely destination for him, I suppose.

I'd like to think some players from David Chadd's 2005 draft, whom would likely start the season at class low or high A, could have a chance to emerge with the Seawolves by midseason. Particularily Rhp Kevin Whelan, he could blaze thru class A and join de la Cruz in the closer/set up role and end the season as one of the Tigers top pitching prospects for 2007. Whelan has awesome, overwhelming makeup and velocity.

I'd like to think some players from David Chadd's 2005 draft, whom would likely start the season at class low or high A, could have a chance to emerge with the Seawolves by midseason. Particularily Rhp Kevin Whelan, he could blaze thru class A and join de la Cruz in the closer/set up role and end the season as one of the Tigers top pitching prospects for 2007. Whelan has awesome, overwhelming makeup and velocity.

That's been the opinion of him all offseason. He may finish in Toledo, don't want to look too far ahead though. But there's no reason to think he wouldn't at least end up in Erie by mid-season. He should move along quickly.

Larish should skip WM this season. Sorry to any WM fans, however he is an advanced college hitter that should be pushed at least to Lakeland.

Kelly Hunt was awful last season and I wouldn't mind pushing him back down to WM to make room for Larish.

I wouldn't mind having Kelly back (I'd be disappointed for his sake), but he did a great job for us in 04. Solid 1st baseman, and it was fun watching him and Garth McKinney compete for a home run record--I believe Kelly won it. I liked Kelly Hunt.

If Larish goes to Lakeland, then Roberson may be WM's 1B. If the Tigers go that route and also decide that Hunt wouldn't be useful at Erie, then he'd likely be a backup at Lakeland. Same for Josh Lee at WM, unless the Tigers point him to the door sooner rather than later.