IdahoBert

Historic Tiger Baseball #21--Rudy York

Friends--

I posted an article in the Bar and Grill political forum because the author--using the model of baseball's integration--takes the postion that free markets alleviate injustice and that affirmative action is unnecessary. I don't want the Tigers Forum to become a site for political bickering but the historic issue of baseball's segregation is relevant to our concerns for a competitive team (at least in the past).

Here's the link.

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?p=635107#post635107

I thought the following account of York's record breaking game written the next day by Shirley Povich of the Washington Post was very entertaining:

The booming bat of 24 year old Rudy York, Detroit's late entry into the homerun race, spoke in tones heard 'round the baseball world this afternoon as one of Babe Ruth's proudest and supposedly invincible records went crashing into discard.

Far, far over the left field fence into Cherry Street, Big Rudy swatted one of Pete Appleton's pitches in the first inning to equal Ruth's record of 17 homeruns in a month which had stood up against assault since 1927. But the 6-foot-1 inch 209-pound giant was not content, seemingly, with that feat.

Because, a half hour later - in the sixth inning - York swung on another Appleton pitch to his liking and walloped the ball even harder over the left center field scoreboard and collected his second homerun of the afternoon. That blow topped Ruth's record of 17 homers achieved during that productive September of ten years ago.

A little different writing style from today!

I thought the following account of York's record breaking game written the next day by Shirley Povich of the Washington Post was very entertaining:

A little different writing style from today!

Yo dawg.

The Tigers were awful in the 50s and one main reason was their reluctance to sign black players.

When this subject comes up, I always point out how few black starters the Tigers have had. Earl Wilson started 145 games with Detroit. Les "Sugar" Cain started 64. When I check out the Tiges pitching register, I come up with Brian Williams and his 17 starts as the the #3 black pitcher in terms of number of starts. I would guess that if you took our #3,4 and 5 totals and compared it to other teams, we would be the lowest or close to the bottom.