Ernest Nzigamasabo

Palmer likely out for season

Man, that too bad. I bet he's not feeling too well right now. He's a proud guy and I'm sure this is tearing him up inside. I wonder if the guy will have a career left.

How about just not bringing him back?What are the rules as far as his contract goes?Is this his last year or does he still have another to go yet,and does this year count since he is going to miss it all?I assume we are still paying him while he stays injured,so maybe we are almost out from under his contract.

Even if he heals from this latest injury,he will likely never be as good as he was,which wasn't all that great.Or he will injure something else next year.Hopefully he can do well enough next year to unload him at the trade deadline to someone who wants a rent a hitter.He is a good guy and all but his talent just doesn't warrant the salary anymore.

If he's out for the year we aren't gonna be able to trade him. He'll be gone in two years I believe, but until then we'd be much better off with him at 3B than Paquette, or whoever else we are gonna throw out at 3B.

I know Q,I was referring to next year assuming he would be healthy enough to play by then when I said I hoped he would be traded.And you are right we don't have anyone better yet to take his place.But that could all change pretty quickly depending on what moves Dom makes.

I think the Tigers would have the option of releasing him and not having to pay his salary themselves. I'm betting there's some type of insurance they have to cover salaries in the event of career ending injuries. That's just a wise ass guess though, I don't really know.

if its a gurantee contract they have to pay if hes released unless another team picks him and his salary up, but if he retires thats it no more money.

I realize that in baseball all the contracts are guaranteed. That's why I used the words "pay the contract themselves". Meaning, that if his career is over, the insurance policy kicks in and pays the rest of Palmer's contract, not the Tigers. I know they have such policies but I don't know if it applies in a case like this.

Biff, if they release Palmer and another team picks him up, then they only have to pay him the league minimum.

if the tigers were to release palmer they would have to pay him his salary unless a team picked him up. then i think biff is right that they still have to pay him a part of his salary. i also believe that his insurance wouldn't pay him his salary or anything like that, but the tigers would. don't quote me on that, but i think that's how it works.

If Palmer retired, insurance would cover the remainder of his contract (see Albert Belle.) But only if he retired. If he was released, the Tigers would still be on the hook. His contract ends after next season.

Q, I think the Tigers were willing to give him time to recover from his injuries. It seemed to me like he was the one initating the comeback attempts.

If the Tigers were to release Palmer and another team picks him up, the other team only has to pay him the league minimum while the Tigers are responsible for the terms of the contract.

Perhaps, but it was the Tigers letting him initiate them. OK, the first time I'll give them. But again? How many times can a guy clearly come back to soon from an injury. Both times not only did he end up back on the DL, but when he was playing he hurt the team. Someone's gotta tell the guy to sit down rather than hurt the team.

Why didn't they do this surgery last year?

Are they using different doctors now?

Oblong,I don't think they knew his neck was a problem until recently,though you have to wonder why something didn't show up on X-rays they surely had to take when checking out his shoulder.Maybe Dean was trying to be a tough guy and not complain about his neck,or maybe the shoulder problems hastened the neck problems.Whether it was Dean not being upfront about all that was hurting him or the doctors not catching something they should have we don't know.Maybe someone out there with some medical background or someone who had similar injuries could tell us whether his neck problems could have developed rapidly enough not to have done surgery during the off season.

This sounds like a career ender to me. At his age, I don't think it's really possible for him to bounce back anymore. I'm no doctor, but I'd would'nt be too surprised if his shoulder injury was linked to his back injury. He had a bum shoulder for such a long time, he probably adjusted his mechanics in a way that strained his back too much when he was trying to play through the shoulder injury.

I wish him best of luck, and I hope that he's able to stay in baseball in some capacity. He's a great presence in the clubhouse...

It is nothing personal, but I am glad he cannot play this season. His being on the roster does nothing for this team but take up room(clutter). We need his position for other players. Who cares if he can come back and play third base for us because it wont make a difference for the future of the team.

I'd agree, except with him out, we have Paquette playing 3B, who has even less of a chance helping us in the future. If we were using his spot to try out someone with even a little long term potential (Damion Jackson, Jarod Patterson, Brian Rios, anyone else under 30) losing Palmer might actually help us. As it is it hurts our present because Palmer is a better player than Paquette, and our future because Paquette isn't (or at least shouldn't be) in this teams plans for the future.