poor defensive player, and acquired second baseman Jerry Lumpe in the

off-season. Wood stayed on as a decent utility man until sold to Cincinnati

early in 1967.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d179/IdahoBert/65wood.jpg

Jake wood:The softball years

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/W/Wood_Jake.stm

Jake Wood's $4500 steel baseball card

basewingsCLR.gif

Jerry Lumpe, Don Wert, Jake Wood, Ray Oyler...the Tigers sure had their challenges with light hitting infielders back in the 60's.

Jerry Lumpe, Don Wert, Jake Wood, Ray Oyler...the Tigers sure had their challenges with light hitting infielders back in the 60's.

Then Ed Brinkman in the early '70s. Yeah it was a different time.

Where did that picture come from?

One of Bert's links at the bottom.

Definitely a different approach to art.

This was my favorite:

twirlers2.jpg

Kind of spooky.:smoker:

And Dick Traczewski ...........

One of Bert's links at the bottom.

Definitely a different approach to art.

This was my favorite:

twirlers2.jpg

Kind of spooky.:smoker:

Mossi never looked so good.

:chinese: :chinese: :chinese: :chinese: :chinese: :chinese: :chinese:

I like Jake Wood. I was 10 back in '62, and I didn't care about all those errors, I just liked the stolen bases. Chico Fernandez and Rocky Colavito had the coolest names on the team. I think in the next year or so they picked up Gus Triandos whose name was really cool also.

I had pictures of Jake on my wall. Dave Wickersham too.

No one's mentioned Jake's time playing senior softball in Florida. Having any former major league player on your team would be amazing good fun. We was still thin too. Can't say that about me.

By the way, are people aware that there is a new forum with all of Bert's Historic Tigers featured on it? I just happened to notice it earlier tonight. Was it mentioned somewhere and I missed it? I know we talked about how it should be published, but didn't know anything had been done.

By the way, are people aware that there is a new forum with all of Bert's Historic Tigers featured on it? I just happened to notice it earlier tonight. Was it mentioned somewhere and I missed it? I know we talked about how it should be published, but didn't know anything had been done.

Don't think it was mentioned, but I noticed its been there for a while. Personally, I think IBert should have his own subforum on here named after him.:classic:

Don't think it was mentioned, but I noticed its been there for a while. Personally, I think IBert should have his own subforum on here named after him.:classic:

And make my fat head fatter? My Tiger cap wouldn't fit!

I think I might jump around chronologically for while. Instead of profiling only players from 100 years ago, maybe we'll hang out in the '60s for a while. Jake Wood has long been one of my favorite lesser players. Too bad he didn't last long enough to get a ring in '68. I'm not sure if he even had enough service to get the measily pension they offered back then.

And make my fat head fatter? My Tiger cap wouldn't fit!

I think I might jump around chronologically for while. Instead of profiling only players from 100 years ago, maybe we'll hang out in the '60s for a while. Jake Wood has long been one of my favorite lesser players. Too bad he didn't last long enough to get a ring in '68. I'm not sure if he even had enough service to get the measily pension they offered back then.

How about Jim Price? :dead:

But seriously, how about Dick McAuliffe? Also Don Wert. And I am sure many don't really know the whole story on Tommy Brookens.

:chinese: :chinese: :chinese: :chinese: :chinese: :chinese: :chinese: :chinese:

Remember, when looking at Wood's numbers, (as well as other players for the years 1965-1969) that league ERAS were much lower during that period. League ERA for the AL in 1968 was 1.96. I.m not arguing that he was a great player, but it helps to put pre DH stats into perspective.

Remember, when looking at Wood's numbers, (as well as other players for the years 1965-1969) that league ERAS were much lower during that period. League ERA for the AL in 1968 was 1.96. I.m not arguing that he was a great player, but it helps to put pre DH stats into perspective.

Actually the AL ERA in 1968 was 2.98. Impressive all the same, but not quite 1.96!

Keep in mind (and you can see this in the Retrosheet #'s), by 1964, he was primarily a pinch hitter.