jake

2006 nfl draft order

What I'm impressed about with Young so much is he does his homework. He makes the correct reads almost every time. Very rarely does he not take advantage of what he has, and that's his best talent.

His best talent is his ability to run the football from the QB position. Alot of QB's can learn the reads, but they'll never have his ability to run the football.

It's not going to come down to Vince Young's running ability, but his passing ability. Will he be able to pass effectively in the NFL where there are rarely wide open receivers?

All the starting QBs in the playoffs averaged 4 yards rushing/game this season.

The Texans will not change their tune about who they'll take No. 1, even with Vince Young's great game. USC's defense isn't that good. There are a lot of question marks about him. He's not as fast, or as good a thrower as Matt Jones -- who was drafted by Jacksonville as a WR! The stuff you saw against USC never happens in the NFL. He should come out just so he can get to work and refine his skills.

http://www.mlive.com/weblogs/highlightreel/index.ssf?/mtlogs/mlive_highlightreel/archives/2006_01.html#103504

What is Michael Vick's record again? Vince isn't the greatest passer but I think he's better than Vick, and Vick has proven that a QB like that can win in the NFL.

Well, Vick has a stronger arm and is a more electrifying runner, and Vick is being exposed at this point. There are rumblings in Atlanta about putting Schaub in, Vick's QB rating was down in the dregs this year with the Orton's/Harrington's of the league.

He had a great game against a bad defense, I don't think there is much chance of Young being much of a passing quarterback in the NFL, he doesn't seem to have much zip on the ball, and he has that crazy arm motion, which you can get buy in College with, but won't in the pro's. If you plan on building a wishbone offense in the NFL, Young is definitely the guy, but for a passing offense I think he's a terrible risk.

• As the NFL world awaits a decision on the future of quarterback Vince Young -- ESPN.com reported before his breathtaking Rose Bowl performance he was leaning toward returning for his senior season -- scouts have already begun ogling video of the Texas star. And while a lot of teams privately hope (but can't publicly admit) Young enters the draft, because it adds another top prospect to the pool for teams needing quarterbacks and pushes players at other positions down the draft board to teams not seeking passers, the consensus of most scouts is he would benefit from staying in Austin, Texas, for another season. A quick, and admittedly unscientific, survey of talent evaluators indicated that, on the heels of the Rose Bowl, Young could be a top five pick. But there are some caveats: For all his elusiveness, Young does not possess Michael Vick-level warp speed. He tends to abandon his passing game progressions early and commits to the run. Finally, his throwing motion is elongated and his release point too low. All those things notwithstanding, there are a lot of teams that would snatch Young as is, and work on all those technique issues during the spring. "His [motion] isn't as 'long' as Randall Cunningham's was, and Philip Rivers had the same kind of release," said one scout. "What matters to me is whether the ball gets there or not. And it does."

:wink:

If you watch any of his passing highlights this season, you will notice that his receivers are wide open. In the pros, he will not have wide open receivers like that. He isn't a pure passer. I wouldn't draft him. I am sure his speed is amazing, but his arm is the question.

If this is true, Young is incredibly good at finding the open receiver. After all Texas played some top-notch college defenses this year. IMO, decision-making is what separates the ok QBs from the great one's in the NFL.

Young's decision-making plus athleticism is a pretty potent combo, regardless of his throwing motion.