snoogit

Pittsburgh is likely gone.

Simply wanting to spare the good citizens of Grand Rapids a 2.5 to 3 hour drive in order to see NHL Hockey isn't going to get an owner to move to GR.

If you're an owner you're looking to find a place that's looking for a team to cheer. GR already has an NHL team to cheer for, it just happens to be inconveniently located in Detroit. I'm not saying that to be flip, but it's the truth. If a team were to succeed in GR they'd have to make a lot of people forget about the Wings...highly unlikely. For a rivalry to succeed they'd need to make them hate the Wings...that ain't going to happen.

Another thing, Oklahoma City is bigger than Grand Rapids. It also has a minor league hockey team (like Grand Rapids) and their minor league hockey team outdraws Grand Rapids.

That team is 3 years old... Grand Rapids in its first three years they averaged over 10,000 a game. They kept that average right up until the IHL disbanded. The Griffins are 10 years old now.

I'm flabbergasted that anyone would actually think Grand Rapids is going to get a major league sports team when other bigger cities don't have them. Especially the NHL when the Red Wings are already here.

Professional leagues seem to do better when they milk good markets, and not trying to make new ones. Look at the NBA, when they expanded into Canada, it had mixed results. The NHL needs to milk existing markets in order to get support in new ones.

Grand Rapids is a nice little city if that's your thing. But it's a small city. Not a major league city.

Keep thinking that. Hopefully someday people will realize just what they are missing here.

That team is 3 years old... Grand Rapids in its first three years they averaged over 10,000 a game. They kept that average right up until the IHL disbanded.

If you are talking about OKC, then you are wrong. I was there from 95-98 and had season tickets to the Blazers. I'm not sure how long they were there before that but I can assure you they have been around alot longer than 3 years.

EDIT: The current incarnation of the OKC Blazers came to be in 1992. They have a 8 year streak of leading all minor league hockey in attendance and are currently second this year to only the Manchester Monarchs.