snoogit

Pittsburgh is likely gone.

...If Oklahoma City (Smaller then GR I might add) can get an NBA team, then the NHL should seriously consider Grand Rapids with an NHL team. Your right, GR is too small for the Marlins or Saints, but GR hasnt had the opportunity to host a professional league team yet, so they shouldn't be considered. Portland has the Trailblazers, and right now, they aren't doing so hot, which WILL make leagues think twice about Portland.

The only reason OKC got the Hornets was mainly because they were about the only ones that actively persued it. Nobody else really wanted the Hornets because they were so bad the last few years. On top of that, the arrangement is only temperary.

Hartford...

The Penguins should fold along with Atlanta, Nashville, Columbus, Phoenix, Anaheim, Florida, Tampa Bay, and Carolina.

Exactly, too many teams already. Have a dispersal draft.

I would see the Amway guy or Jack Davison opposing the Pens move to GR more than Illich. I could see the Amway guy wanting to move his team to GR and a team in GR is going to threaten Davison's potential move of the Lightning to the Palace.

I would see the Amway guy or Jack Davison opposing the Pens move to GR more than Illich. I could see the Amway guy wanting to move his team to GR and a team in GR is going to threaten Davison's potential move of the Lightning to the Palace.

Ummmm...you mean Bill Davidson?

A Grand Rapids vs. Detroit Rivalry is bigger then you think, Detroit makes much more money when Colorado is in town then when Columbus is in town. I would think the GR V Dtown rivalry could equal the Colorado and Detroit rivalry, At least where I grew up (Walker, MI, just outside GR literally on the border) we had more hockey fans attending High School games then Football fans at the field.

People would say the same thing about the Lions, the Tigers, and in the mid 90s the Pistons, but they still had fans going to the games. They still put warm tukuses in the seats. Those same type of fans are in Grand Rapids.

If Oklahoma City (Smaller then GR I might add) can get an NBA team, then the NHL should seriously consider Grand Rapids with an NHL team. Your right, GR is too small for the Marlins or Saints, but GR hasnt had the opportunity to host a professional league team yet, so they shouldn't be considered. Portland has the Trailblazers, and right now, they aren't doing so hot, which WILL make leagues think twice about Portland.

Mr. I nets the same at the gate no matter who the opponent is, a sellout is a sellout is a sellout. Maybe he moves a couple more beers for the Avs, but the difference is negligible.

As far as the Blazers are concerned, the fact that the team is doingso poorly says a lot more about the Blazers than the city. It's not that they're bad on the court, it's that they have been such an embarrassment off of it. The Tigers, Lions, or Pistons, even at their worst, have never done anything off of the field that made people embarrassed the way the Jail Blazers have. Throw in the "f--- you" way that the Paul Allen organ-iazation has treated the fans over the years and it's surprising that they draw as well as they do. The fans are there, they just don't have anything worth cerring for.

While we’re on the subject, the biggest single reason that we’re not going to see another NHL team in Michigan, be it Grand Rapids or Auburn Hills, is the Red Wings. The Red Wings own the state, plain and simple. In order to be successful, any team is going to have to convince to put aside years of loyalty to the Wings and support team X. Maybe in Grand Rapids you’d get some fans to buy in because it would make GR a big league town, but I suspect that there would still be as many people in the area who considered themselves Wings fans as fans of team X. There is a tremendous amount of passion for Hockey in Michigan, but it’s passion that’s directed towards the Wings. There is also a tremendous amount of passion for Baseball in St. Louis and Boston, but there is a reason that nobody has tried to replace the Browns or the Braves.

If you were an owner would you rather have to fight the Wings for every fan you get, or move someplace new and try and make your own market? If it were my money, I sure wouldn’t want to fight the Wings in Michigan.

I think there's a better chance of GR getting the Pens than the Lightning moving to the Palace... but I still (sadly) don't see GR getting them... just way too much going against it.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to get an NHL team here in GR, and I think that we could support a team... it's just those dang Wings that really holds us back from getting our fair shot.

Devos/Vanandel don't own a hockey team from what I can remember. They own the Orlando Magic, and they threatened to move them to GR as well.

I could easily see the Devos/VanAndel cosortium buying up the Penguins, and moving them to GR.

snoogit: Are you on the Grand Rapids city council? Running for mayor? Cause there ain't no way the NHL is moving to Grand flipping Rapids.

Grand Rapids is the 63rd largest metropolitan area in the country. SIXTY-THIRD. Ranked right below that population powerhouse of Worcester, MA and right above Allentown, PA.

http://www.census.gov/population/cen2000/phc-t29/tab03a.pdf

Some cities bigger than GR without hockey teams:

San Diego

Baltimore

Cleveland

Cincinnati

Portland

Kansas City

Sacramento

Columbus

(all of the above are DOUBLE the size of Grand Rapids)

Indianapolis

Milwaukee

Las Vegas

New Orleans

Austin

Memphis

Louisville

etc, etc, etc.

Grand Rapids is also right between two large fan bases in Chicago and Detroit and in an area saturated with minor league hockey already.

You ain't gettin' an NHL team. You were never under serious consideration to get an NHL team. No offense to Grand Rapids, but it's not big enough to support major league sports. Sorry.

...I have always considered myself a pretty solid hockey fan, not diehard but solid. I am having a hard time getting back into it.

Any one else exeriencing this?...

i'm having trouble getting back into it, too. i guess the lockout forced me to realize there are other things to in the dogdays of winter.

i also wish they'd wise up and move the wings to the east so we could see more original six match-ups, but i don't honestly think the league would do this. instead, they'll move some hack team from columbus over to the east and leave detroit to wallow in the west with their natural rivals from san jose, la, anaheim, phoenix, etc. cities where the mere mention of them brings hockey immediately to mind. besides, why would we want to lose out on all those westcoast trips and playoff games that last untill 3am? :tired::sleeping: ...

Some cities bigger than GR without hockey teams:

San Diego

Baltimore

Cleveland

Cincinnati

Portland

Kansas City

Sacramento

Columbus

etc, etc, etc.

Pssst... Columbus has a team. :wink:

snoogit: Are you on the Grand Rapids city council? Running for mayor? Cause there ain't no way the NHL is moving to Grand flipping Rapids.

Grand Rapids is the 63rd largest metropolitan area in the country. SIXTY-THIRD. Ranked right below that population powerhouse of Worcester, MA and right above Allentown, PA.

http://www.census.gov/population/cen2000/phc-t29/tab03a.pdf

Ahh again another person who doesnt understand the geopgraphy of the area.

If you took a city with the same land mass as Portland, and smacked it on top of GR, it would go all the way out to the lake.

Portland:

POPULATION

538,180; 1.95 million Metro; 1,667.8/km² Density

AREA

130 square miles

Grand Rapids:

POPULATION

197,800; 1,133,127 Grand Rapids MSA; 1,710.8/km² Density

Whats interesting is the Density statistics. Grand Rapids historically has had a higer density them many similar sized, even larger sized municipalities, the big reason is the surrounding communities decided to stop Grand Rapids from annexing territory, and esentially blocked them from expanding. So for the past 100 years Grand Rapids has just gotten more and more dense. Its has a higher density then even Portland, and Jacksonville.

I'm just sick and tired of hearing people say Grand Rapids is tiny, we are not, theres a market here, and everyone just dismisses it as rubbish.

Ahh again another person who doesnt understand the geopgraphy of the area.

If you took a city with the same land mass as Portland, and smacked it on top of GR, it would go all the way out to the lake.

Portland:

POPULATION

538,180; 1.95 million Metro; 1,667.8/km² Density

AREA

130 square miles

Grand Rapids:

POPULATION

197,800; 1,133,127 Grand Rapids MSA; 1,710.8/km² Density

Whats interesting is the Density statistics. Grand Rapids historically has had a higer density them many similar sized, even larger sized municipalities, the big reason is the surrounding communities decided to stop Grand Rapids from annexing territory, and esentially blocked them from expanding. So for the past 100 years Grand Rapids has just gotten more and more dense. Its has a higher density then even Portland, and Jacksonville.

I'm just sick and tired of hearing people say Grand Rapids is tiny, we are not, theres a market here, and everyone just dismisses it as rubbish.

Who said Grand Rapids was tiny? Grand Rapids is a small city. Your population is still smaller than all those small to medium cities listed that don't have hockey teams (except Columbus of course...).

If you SERIOUSLY think Grand Rapids is getting an NHL team then you are right about one thing: Grand Rapids has gotten more and more dense.

Given where you are and the lack of people who live where you are, you are not getting an NHL team. You're smack dab in the middle of the state with the most popular team in the NHL and right next to the NHL's sleeping giant. You're not getting an NHL team, no matter what delusions of grandeur you have about your city.

If you SERIOUSLY think Grand Rapids is getting an NHL team then you are right about one thing: Grand Rapids has gotten more and more dense.

way to be an ***. i don't think he really thinks that it's gonna happen right now. but its fun to dream, i suppose that is unless you live in chicago. then you have to stay grounded in reality. don't ever look to the future and dream of the possibilities.

grand rapids is a booming city, and i could definetly see us having a professional sport or two down the road.

snoogit i love your gumption keep it up!!

way to be an ***. i don't think he really thinks that it's gonna happen right now. but its fun to dream, i suppose that is unless you live in chicago. then you have to stay grounded in reality. don't ever look to the future and dream of the possibilities.

grand rapids is a booming city, and i could definetly see us having a professional sport or two down the road.

snoogit i love your gumption keep it up!!

Yes, I'm sure it's just Chicago that doesn't dream of an NHL team in Grand Rapids.

Imagination is a wonderful thing. Reality is another.

Lots of sensitive folks out there in Motownsportsland.

Listen Im not saying that GR WILL get a team, I'm saying its Stupid to think we are too small, and too close to Chi-town ans Detroit to get one.

The people here are excellent, they are loyal, and they are ready to hit the next level. I'm not saying its will happen, but I do think WE should have just as good of a shot as the big cities, because the fanbase is here, and it would be a ton easier to put asses in seats in GR then it would in other cities.

Lots of sensitive folks out there in Motownsportsland.

lol not really being sensitive i just thought you had an awful condescending tone towards snoogit.

lol not really being sensitive i just thought you had an awful condescending tone towards snoogit.

Well... he does have that French flag... that might have something to do with it. :ponder::silly:

Why would a Wings fan want a team in Grand Rapids anyway? You already have good hockey to cheer for.

Why does a man dream of a beautiful woman, when he has a wife already?

Why does a child want a lolipop, when she's already had ice cream?

A lot of people on this side of the state don't get the same opportunity to see the Red Wings play. To have something you can call your own is just something nice to have. I was lucky, I normally get the chance to see the Red Wings play once a year. If there was an NHL team in GR, I would likely see much more professional hockey, infact I would probably get season tickets to see the GR team play.

Listen Im not saying that GR WILL get a team, I'm saying its Stupid to think we are too small, and too close to Chi-town ans Detroit to get one.

The people here are excellent, they are loyal, and they are ready to hit the next level. I'm not saying its will happen, but I do think WE should have just as good of a shot as the big cities, because the fanbase is here, and it would be a ton easier to put asses in seats in GR then it would in other cities.

Another thing, Oklahoma City is bigger than Grand Rapids. It also has a minor league hockey team (like Grand Rapids) and their minor league hockey team outdraws Grand Rapids.

I'm flabbergasted that anyone would actually think Grand Rapids is going to get a major league sports team when other bigger cities don't have them. Especially the NHL when the Red Wings are already here.

Grand Rapids is a nice little city if that's your thing. But it's a small city. Not a major league city.