DaBishop

Young Pistons

Of our youngest guys...Acker, Maxiell, Johnson, Milicic, and Delfino, which do you think are gonna get an actual opportunity to succeed as a Piston or are going to have to go else where to make a real impact.

I doubt Acker makes it with the Pistons in the long run. I think Delfino also will have to go somewhere else to make a name for himself although I hope not. Darko and Maxiell I think will both be mainstays on the team for a while. The question mark for me is Amir. It'll all depend upon how quickly he develops but, assuming he can become a solid NBA player, I have a feeling he's gonna end up doing it somwhere else as well.

Thoughts?

If Amir shows any type of promise he will no doubt be gone. Second round picks sign two year deals, their teams do not have Bird rights on them, meaning they can not go over the salary cap to sign him and they will no doubt be over the cap.

It is very hard for a team to sign a second round pick who has blossomed. Two famous second round picks who have left their original team are Gilbert Arenas and Okur.

Maybe the Pistons don't even bother dressing him for two years and just hide him away, sign a smallish contract and keep him.

It's highly unlikely he'll get any real PT his first couple of years. The question is will he show enough in practice to warrant being resigned or get enough PT that other teams are willing to spend some cash on him.

If Amir shows any type of promise he will no doubt be gone. Second round picks sign two year deals, their teams do not have Bird rights on them, meaning they can not go over the salary cap to sign him and they will no doubt be over the cap.

It is very hard for a team to sign a second round pick who has blossomed. Two famous second round picks who have left their original team are Gilbert Arenas and Okur.

Maybe the Pistons don't even bother dressing him for two years and just hide him away, sign a smallish contract and keep him.

The new CBA has changed that, they now have the Gilbert Arenas rule.

This loophole was addressed in the current CBA (although not closed completely -- see below). Teams are now limited in the salary they can offer in an offer sheet to a restricted free agent with one or two years in the league. The first-year salary in the offer sheet cannot be greater than the average salary (see question number 24). Limiting the first year salary in this way guarantees that the player's original team will be able to match the offer sheet by using the Early Bird exception (if applicable -- see question number 19), or Mid-Level exception (provided they haven't used it already).

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#37

I think Delfino really is going to get a chance to blossom some time this season.

Of that group I think he's probably the only one that can make an impact this season. If he'll be around 5 years from now probably not.

Darko has a ways to go before he's going to make an impact on this team but it certainly does look like the Pistons are going to stick with him for the long haul. So he's definitely got a chance.