Sign in to follow this  
qsilvr2531

Why I never listen to a word Joe Morgan says

Apart from his comments about the leadoff position (he feels speed is the most important thing a leadoff hitter can have), it's comments like this one:

I used to feel the manager only made a difference in 15-20 games over the course of a season, but he impacts more games now.

If the manager you have makes a 15-20 game difference in performance, then seasons are basically completely determined by the manager that you have (and the players become almost irrelevant).

I'm sure he doesn't actually think that managers are the most important thing to a baseball team, but when he makes a statement like this it makes me feel much better about ignoring most of the things he says. Great player, really smart guy, but he doesn't think about what he is saying most of the time, IMO.

IMHO, Joe Morgan is a blowhard and probably the most over-rated baseball announcer in baseball.

Plus, he is always stepping on Jon Miller's statements or fumbles hand-offs from Jon Miller. I get the impression he knows enough about baseball to make him dangerous, but he thinks he has the best baseball mind since John McGraw. He seems a little dim to me.

I actually like Morgan as a commentator; I think he has good in-game insights, for the most part. But the piece he wrote on leadoff hitters was ludicrous ; he even managed to prove himself wrong late in his article.

I like Miller and Morgan. I don't really listen to what Morgan says but I like their style and bantor. It makes for a relaxing Sunday evening. Of course, I don't watch ESPN Sunday Night Baseball much anymore because I've discovered HBO Sunday Night.

Morgan's never bothered me the way that McCarver has. He's just irritating to listen to.

I'm with TigerCap and qsilvr on this one.

I don't like Morgan at all.......... but at least he's not Tim McCarver, whom I really hate.

I should say I think Morgan is a pretty good announcer (which isn't a great compliment since I don't like most announcers). I just don't think he really knows what he is talking about most of the time (or at least he doesn't think about what he is saying most of the time).

Wouldn't he be a manager by now? I don't really listen to any color guy's expert opinion on what is going on on the field because I already know from playing the game myself since I was 6 years old. The only commentators I like are the ones who tell funny stories of their playing days during slow times in the game.

So Pete Rose was faster than Joe huh?

Did you ever hear the story about a play at the plate and Rose slid and was called out. He went back to the dugout and told Morgan "if I was black I would have been safe" and Morgan said "if you were black you wouldn't have had to slide"

In April 2000, espn showed a promo with Peter Gammons strikes out Harold Reynolds. During a game boardcast Joe Morgan was complaining about the commerical saying " Harold Reynolds was a n all-star. peter gammons does not strike him out. its wrong and i am going to keep quite about it." GET A GRIP JOE ITS JUST A FRIGGING COMMERICAL

Originally posted by Evenings with Ernie

I am in the minority here but I actually LOVE McCarver. Him doing playoff games all those years for CBS and Fox has been a real treat for me.

Yeah, well you probably love dripping faucets and people scratching blackboards, too. ;)

Yeah maybe so. People always gripe that he points out the obvious and I've never really understood that complaint. I think he is rather insightful, and no I'm not stupid. Him, Joe Buck, and Brenly, for me anyways, was about as professional and entertaining as it got for me. Who know who is terrible? Lance Parrish. Beckman: "I think they might have the hit-and-run on in this situation." Lance: "You might be right." Beckman: "You have to protect the inside part of the plate." Lance: "That's true." As far as Beckman, I know some people can't stand him either. I think he's very good, makes for an entertaining broadcast.

Lance has only been at it for a month whereas McCarver has sucked for over a decade now.

Tim McCarver broadcasts as if he is speaking to an audience who has never seen baseball before.

He actually used the telestrator to point out the sun one time.