wingedwheel

OLN Editing Hockey Fights

I was watching the Red Wings/Blue Jackets game tonight when, during the final period, a broo-ha-ha occured in front of the Detroit net. As soon as it started OLN broke away to a commercial.

This was the first game I've watched on OLN so I don't know if they have done this for other fights, or if it was just a coincidence and they were scheduled for a commrcial break.

i noticed that too and when it happened thought WTF! wasn't even sure if it was a mistake or not. if they truly are doing that i'm sorry but thats just dumb. i don't watch hockey for just the fights but it is(i know some people don't agree) a part of the game. bad oln bad.

I got home in time to watch the final period last night and OLN's coverage is absolutely terrible. All they do is pat the NHL on the back for the rules changes and say really corny cliches. That's about it. The sad thing is, it's been the same for every part of OLN's coverage I've seen. If I watch another minute, it'll be on mute with play-by-play coming from the XM.

I don't get OLN, but I saw it while I was at the gym last night. Didn't hear the sound, but noticed the graphic was on the bottom of the screen and thought that was bad. sometimes there is action at the bottom of the screen, the graphic should be on top.

BTW- hockey is getting doubled by poker in TV ratings so far.

Nice work, Gary.

Attempting to censor fighting from the NHL will do more damage than acknowledging that fighting does occur. People will get more suspicious of the sport if editing like what we saw yesterday takes place on a regular basis.

Is it because there's a fight or is it because they know there will be a delay for play to resume so it's a good chance to make some money. Sort of like pitching changes.

I noticed when they were showing Shannahan arguing about a penalty, he was commenting to the referee, and you could clearly tell he was saying what the Fu.. and they cut it off right there. haha

Mike of Drew and Mike mentioned this today as well. He was quite upset and then a flood of calls and emails nailed them with peopled pretty pissed about the same thing. Apparently the near fight ended as soon as they cut to commercial and a few roughing penalties were handed out, so you didn't miss anything much. But, should this continue, it's going to alienate hockey fans even more.

well OLN is making sure no one watches them by pulling out of everything but Comcast anyway.

I agree OLN sucks, but they are not censoring fights, they showed a fight in the Toronto/Boston game in the show after the Wings game... I think it was just time for a commercial break...

Wow. I was watching the game on the AFN and was like what the? I was disappointed but screw it I got hockey.

well OLN is making sure no one watches them by pulling out of everything but Comcast anyway.

Yep...they just pulled off Dish network. Thanks, Comcast. You just reaffirmed my hatred for you as a company.

Actually Dish dumped them. They didn't want to pay extra. I don't see waht the big deal is. Comcast paid a lot of money to show hockey on OLN. They must be expected to recoup that cost. Why not make a rivalry pay their share.

I'm watching OLN's coverage now. I actually like it. It's low key. Reminds me of how it was in the 80s. The announcers sound canadian. They know the players, coaches, scouts... it's like watching CBC. It's the antithesis of Fox.

Actually Dish dumped them. They didn't want to pay extra. I don't see waht the big deal is. Comcast paid a lot of money to show hockey on OLN. They must be expected to recoup that cost. Why not make a rivalry pay their share.

I'm watching OLN's coverage now. I actually like it. It's low key. Reminds me of how it was in the 80s. The announcers sound canadian. They know the players, coaches, scouts... it's like watching CBC. It's the antithesis of Fox.

agreed

I agree too, in regards to the quality of the broadcast, especially in HD!!

I don't understand all of these carriage agreements, IF I owned a network, I would almost give the programming away to increase visibility and recoup the costs in increased advertising prices with my increase in viewership, availbility and ratings.

The NHL is not going to increase their ratings by being in less homes, it all just seems stupid to me.

or you can get it for free, like me. I have comcast. I get the MLB and Hockey packages for free. They are on the smae channels. Don't know how. I'm not about to say anything to them about it.

I watched one of the first days of OLN's coverage later in the night when they replayed it and I swore I was watching an old Japaneese Karate or Godzilla movie. The audio just didn't match with the lips of what people were saying. It seemed they were about a second behind when I really watched it. IT got so annoying that I couldn't watch the studio show any more. I really haven't watched their coverage since. Did anybody notice that early on or is it still happening? I couldn't figure out why it seemed that was happening.

It didn't matter during the game because you don't see the announcers. But anytime I saw someone talking, it just seemed like there was some sort of delay for some reason.

or you can get it for free, like me. I have comcast. I get the MLB and Hockey packages for free. They are on the smae channels. Don't know how. I'm not about to say anything to them about it.

I had it with comcast after they told me I would lose FSD and ESPN unless I upgraded to a digital box. I was using simple, basic cable.

The upgrade would have boosted my overall bill (internet included) to well over $100 a month.

Right now, I get more channels and DSL for about $70 a month.

I am pretty happy so far. No outages, no service interruptions, and a better picture.

It sounds to me like OLN just has a delay and knew nothing was going to happen.

Sorry if someone else posted this, but I skipped over some posts.

BTW- hockey is getting doubled by poker in TV ratings so far.

That is something I will never understand. Here we have hockey, which is totally improved, and is fast paced with goals, breakaways, hard hits, and fights, but some people would rather watch others play with pieces of paper. Even if I did play poker, I couldn't see myself watching it on TV.

OLN really isn't the best channel, but what could we have expected from Comcast? I really like what FSN does, it's not too over the top, but it isn't boring either. As far as I'm concerned, OLN could disappear and I wouldn't care at all.

I'm really worried about the future of the NHL. If poker's beating it in ratings, that speaks volumes. They really need to get back in with the major networks like ESPN or Fox.

This business of censoring fights needs to stop. That's all crap. The fights are part of the game. Those who don't like it shouldn't watch hockey. They need to quit trying to change it to appeal to a broader audience and just satisfy the core fans.

Also, I'm really gonna Mickey Redmond. He was just the best announcer in my opinion. :-(