tiger337

Winter of Sabermetrics

Interesting read here:

https://www.mlb.com/news/hosmer-trout-and-defensive-metric-dilemmas/c-266914944

Turns out that in general, fans are not that bad at figuring out who can and can't catch the ball.

There was one thing I thought would show up that didn't though - and that is that at least for OFs, fans on TV almost never see the reaction time and 1st step, they only see the run and the finish - so I have always assumed that there were guys that would get high fan markings because they were fast and finished well but who did not actually have good range because they always started too late - e. g. Anthony Gose. But this didn't seem to show up as an identifiable problem.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2018 at 4:40 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

Interesting read here:

https://www.mlb.com/news/hosmer-trout-and-defensive-metric-dilemmas/c-266914944

Turns out that in general, fans are not that bad at figuring out who can and can't catch the ball.

There was one thing I thought would show up that didn't though - and that is that at least for OFs, fans on TV almost never see the reaction time and 1st step, they only see the run and the finish - so I have always assumed that there were guys that would get high fan markings because they were fast and finished well but who did not actually have good range because they always started too late - e. g. Anthony Gose. But this didn't seem to show up as an identifiable problem.

I love the Fan Scouting Report, but have always wondered how much the participating fans are influenced by the defensive stats.  

5 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I love the Fan Scouting Report, but have always wondered how much the participating fans are influenced by the defensive stats.  

Given the participants tend to be fangraphs slappies, my suspicion is that they are heavily influenced by the already existing stats.