mc_madness

Mike Ilitch sucks

Oblong,

Sorry but it doesn't matter. They both deserve the treatment they have gotten over the years. There is a certain limit where if you suck rocks, you suck rocks.

While you argue that Monaghan destroyed the infrastructure of this team while he was here and that earned him the honor, I think it can be easily said that Ilitch has had plenty of time to improve upon that. And he's finally doing it himself. And people seemingly forget the PR machine that Ilitch and his group perpetuated about the Corktown area as well when they wanted the new stadium. I remember going to a media day with reporters and how the Ilitch people threw out that crap just as hard as Monaghan ever did.

I'll give in and say Monaghan was worse. But generally, I'd say being second worst - even if it is a great upgrade from the worst - isn't anything to write home about.

Nobody said it was anything to write home about.

The point wasn't to just defend Ilitch, it was to defend Ilitch against comparisons to Monoghan.

I think Illitch has poured a lot of money into the team and wants the team to do well. I think it took him a while to find the right people to run the show. He stuck too long with the Randy Smith regime but I wouldn't call him a terrible owner. He seems to me like a typical Major League Baseball owner.

As for him being greedy and self centered, that's really irrelevant. Isn't that how one usually gets wealthy in this country?

People will look at him through Tiger Stadium colored glasses. He moved the team from there and many will never forgive him for it and will use that as an excuse to rip on him for everything else. It clouds their judgement.

On 10/3/2005 at 7:22 PM, DTroppens said:

Worst Tigers owner in history.

Boy could you and all these idiots posting that Ilitch sucked. 15 years later he is considered the best. He did everything he could to get us to a world series championship. i miss the man. the red wings and tigers havent been the same since he passed away. ?    

On 4/26/2020 at 5:26 PM, Larry said:

Boy could you and all these idiots posting that Ilitch sucked. 15 years later he is considered the best. He did everything he could to get us to a world series championship. i miss the man. the red wings and tigers havent been the same since he passed away. ?    

Great first post dude: Calling people idiots for something they said 15 years ago.  

On 4/26/2020 at 2:26 PM, Larry said:

When this thread was posted, he had owned the team for 13 seasons. In only one season he had a winning record. 

What a weird post. 

Also, can we change the thread title to "sucked"? 

I'm stunned to have just learned that Triple Se7en only had 1500 posts. 

12 hours ago, Yoda said:

I'm stunned to have just learned that Triple Se7en only had 1500 posts. 

They were 1500 great posts though.  He schooled all of us in how baseball really works.  

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

They were 1500 great posts though.  He schooled all of us in how baseball really works.  

I mean he did that with his first 5 posts. Everything after that was gravy. He'd seen and known more baseball than all of us combined. 

I read through this the other day and it was very interesting for sure.... nothing embarassing for me for once in an old thread.

On 4/26/2020 at 5:26 PM, Larry said:

hellolarry4-1.jpg

On 10/6/2005 at 6:35 PM, HeyAbbott said:

Illitch is 77. We will one day soon get to see the three Illitch kids set unpreviously reached levels of suckiness.

Pretty good. 

On 5/1/2006 at 9:15 PM, Tyrus said:

Yay! This thread is back!!! I love "Hate-Ilitch" threads!!!! :happy:

But, you know what? Forget about Ilitch and Monaghan! These are good times, and dwelling on the negative would be far too ... negative.

So, you're right, guys: "Queen of Diamonds" may very well be my favorite Tiger book, too -- although Richard Bak's "A Place for Summer" is right up there.

And, here's some more positive karma: maybe, Ilitch, by way of Dombrowski, is in the process of laying the foundation for a Detroit Tiger dynasty with this current crop of eye-popping prospects. If that's the case, then history will remember Blackie-locks as a great owner.

As much as I dislike the man personally, I would love nothing more than to have Mike Ilitch go down in history as the man who brought glory back to the Olde English D. Because my love for the Tigers far outweighs any animosity I have toward Mr. I.

Also pretty good. 

On 6/1/2020 at 12:46 AM, tiger337 said:

Great first post dude: Calling people idiots for something they said 15 years ago.  

I wonder how long it took him/her to find this thread and out of all old threads to bump why pick this one?  

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I wonder how long it took him/her to find this thread and out of all old threads to bump why pick this one?  

Probably a friend/relative of Mike. 

I like reading the old threads.  They always bring back memories of some crazy characters.  

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I like reading the old threads.  They always bring back memories of some crazy characters.  

I can't wait til we're saying that about you. 

• Like 1