chasfh

.213/.274/.348

That's Brandon Inge's batting line since July 1st, in some 325 plate appearances. That rivals his pre-2004 batting numbers of .198/.249/.314

If you want tro be generous and stretch it to June 1st, his numbers do improve -- to .227/.295/.362, in about 440 plate appearances.

OK -- now are we convinced that this guy should not be our future at 3B?

Brandon Inge for 25th man!

Also the arguments against him being a backup catcher need to stop. He's not hitting anyhow. Get rid of Vance. Inge can backup 8 positions. His nickname should be Kama Sutra. Get us a new full-time 3rd baseman.

Wow Yoda, you sure did jump ship pretty fast.

Ya well.. so did Brandon. I still think he's a plus defensively but he can't be starting every game. Especially with the questions surrounding Carlos Guillen. At his 2004 level we can get away with Brandon at 3rd. Otherwise we can't.

That's Brandon Inge's batting line since July 1st, in some 325 plate appearances. That rivals his pre-2004 batting numbers of .198/.249/.314

If you want tro be generous and stretch it to June 1st, his numbers do improve -- to .227/.295/.362, in about 440 plate appearances.

OK -- now are we convinced that this guy should not be our future at 3B?

Brandon Inge for 25th man!

Since my screename favors Brandon I must stick up for him somewhat.

He was hitting over .300 for a couple months so his average for the year is around .254 which is about what you can expect from him (not .198). None of us thought he was Tony Gwynn at the plate. But he will need to hit .270 to continue to start.

Ya well.. so did Brandon. I still think he's a plus defensively but he can't be starting every game. Especially with the questions surrounding Carlos Guillen. At his 2004 level we can get away with Brandon at 3rd. Otherwise we can't.

The best solution (IMO) is signing Furcal and moving Guillen to 3rd, thus allowing Inge to add depth to the bench (making him backup C is not a good choice - IMO again).

Inge being the supersub is probably the role he fits best IMO. I can see him being the backup catcher, while still serving that role (and I guess Shelton would be the emergency 3'rd catcher). I was all for him being our guy at third, but his numbers are taking a nosedive very quickly.

I have tried to support Inge this year but I've come to the conclusion that he needs to be a utility man. That includes being a backup catcher.

Inge as a backup catcher/utility sub would benefit the team the best. It would also fit Inge well since his best season as a pro was when he was a utility sub.

Can anyone put together his career splits? I'd like to know how long he sucked, how long he was average, how long he was pretty good.

Why is letting him be the backup catcher a bad idea?

Because he said he HATED playing Catcher. I am a believer that you don't try and make a player do something against his wishes. Although it makes sense to me to do it, Inge has said he never wants to catch again. If he came out and said he WOULD then I would change my tune.

Since my screename favors Brandon I must stick up for him somewhat.

He was hitting over .300 for a couple months so his average for the year is around .254 which is about what you can expect from him (not .198). None of us thought he was Tony Gwynn at the plate. But he will need to hit .270 to continue to start.

Sure, he was hitting .300 for awhile -- but that was for, what, 250 at bats? That's a small sliver of his career and doesn't negate the remaining 1,600 at bats in which he hit .224.

Anybody can hit well for short stretches of time. In 2003, Inge hit .325 for the month of August. For those months that were not August, he hit .162. Which was the real Brandon Inge that year?

Look, I'm not saying the guy is without value. As a 25th man off the bench, he could be positively Hollandsworth-like. (Yes, that's good.) But let's call a spade a spade here: Brandon Inge is simply not good enough to hand 500-600 at bats to in a year. He has demonstrated that amply this year.

Inge would be a perfect fit for a national league club. He's less of a fit for an American League club. So he might have more value in a trade than on the field. Where's Phil Garner? He loves these types of guys...

That being said, I like the idea of Brandon Inge the super-sub. Jose Oquendo for the Tigers!

The best solution (IMO) is signing Furcal and moving Guillen to 3rd, thus allowing Inge to add depth to the bench (making him backup C is not a good choice - IMO again).

Cubs are going hard after Furcal. I doubt the Tigers could sign him.

I had not heard that. That is NOT good (for a Tiger fan perspective). Hopefully they fall through like they did with Pudge, Percival, and Magglio.

I have tried to support Inge this year but I've come to the conclusion that he needs to be a utility man. That includes being a backup catcher.

Another thing about Inge is all those strike outs. He'll end with 140 strike outs most likely and with maybe 14 homers. If a guy is going to wiff a lot he needs to hit the ball over the fence more than this. He's 29 next season. This is a good as he is going to get.

And we don't seem to have anyone who is a wicked HR hitter period--I'm not counting Pena. Heck, we do play half our games on the road but our guys don't seem to hit many more there than at home. Young has only one more on the road than here in many more at bats away. Monroe has 3 more. Shelton hits more homers here than away but has more at bats at home. You can't win in today's game without some 30 HR guys on board.

Maybe Thames....oh don't get me started--I know he's problematic too.

Polanco can defend SS better than Furcal. He's .982 part-time/lifetime there & at 3B. Sorry... this all leads to still wanting LH Todd Walker at 2B.... probably for 1/2 the money Furcal will demand.

Save our money for pitching. Inge can take the place of Wilson, Nook and John in the infierld. That's even more money for pitching.

Buy us a #1 or 2 starter please!

Polanco can defend SS better than Furcal. He's .982 lifetime there & at 3B. Sorry... this all leads to still wanting LH Todd Walker at 2B.... probably for 1/2 the money Furcal will demand.

Furcal is faster and is a much better player overall than Walker. Polanco is going great at 2B, there is no reason to move him.

Furcal is faster and is a much better player overall than Walker. Polanco is going great at 2B, there is no reason to move him.

Ozzie Smith was faster than Tram. Was anybody unhappy with Tram's SS? Walker is another Polanco-type in Comerica Park. He's all singles/doubles - contact guy. Not the best range... closer to Lou Whitaker's coverage than Polly's.

I like the idea of signing Walker to a short-term deal and pushing Polanco to 3B. He's got more pop than Furcal, without all the personal baggage. Furcal is probably going to want a long-term deal as well.

I like the idea of Inge being a supersub at all. And I personally think that this is a VERY under appreciated type of player myself. If you have a guy who is not a major liability offensively, and who can play MANY defensive positions at or above average, that type of guy could be VERY important for a team.

However, in order for Inge to be successful as a supersub, he needs to either beable to play the middle infield and/or catcher. If he just subs at 3B, LF, CF, RF... that isn't going to cut it. That's not really a 'supersub.'

Speaking just from personal opinion, I think I'd would love to be a supersub type of guy if I was good enough to play professional ball. I would want to play as many positions as I was able, including catcher. 'Course, that's just my opinion.

I don't think Guillen at 3rd is the answer. It would take a return to 2004 power numbers to make him a good replacement at 3rd. I think we know he can hit .300 under any circumstances but I want more power at 3rd base than I think he can provide.

Disclaimer: If we get the big Lh power bat (DUNN), then I could live with Guillen at 3rd.

Inge would be a perfect fit for a national league club. He's less of a fit for an American League club. So he might have more value in a trade than on the field. Where's Phil Garner? He loves these types of guys...

That being said, I like the idea of Brandon Inge the super-sub. Jose Oquendo for the Tigers!

I would part with Inge in a package for the LH bat, or else I would keep him because I like the flexibility he brings as the super sub.

Furcal in Chicago... that could spell trouble for him.