Starflyer

Mike Hampton

If there is any way Colorado would entertain offers (& assuming Ilitch would ante up), what would they want in a trade?

I'm sure they'll entertain offers (he isn't helping them at all and is costing them a ton), but why would we want him? He's really, really expensive, and at his best he wasn't a superstar starter. That's alot of money to pay the poor man's Kevin Brown.

i am sure hes got a no trade clause would he wave that to come to detroit?

Unfortunately Hampton expects to get paid with cash for his services -- Illitch is not willing to pay much cash -- so don't expect any big rush to trade for Hampton.

Hampton's only asset as a Tigers starting pitcher is that he is left-handed. And he'd probably take a pay cut to stop the shellings he's receiving in the Denver thin air. But the Tigers have already addressed their biggest starting pitching need - banishing Lima to the bullpen. So Hampton is probably staying put.

But if Dombrowski wants to deal with Colorado, I would rather get Juan Pierre - he has speed, can play CF, can hit and can take a walk. But the Tigers would have to give up someone like Matt Anderson to get him. And after their current experiences with Todd Jones, they probably don't want another ex-Tigers reliever.

Welcome, SacBunt....

For a first post, that was a marvel of good analysis, good ideas, and (gasp) good grammar !!

:D

Woo hoo.........!

Hope you stick around.

1) I dont think Hampton wants to pitch in the american league.

2) He proly would not approve a trade here if he has a no trade clause.

3) It would cost the tigers alot of money

4) It is questionable whether he is as good as he was before

5)It would take alot to give up in a trade

I would definately look into it, but I dont see it happening, although if the deal happened I would have to give some credit for making such a big trade

Originally posted by eastside billee

Unfortunately Hampton expects to get paid with cash for his services -- Illitch is not willing to pay much cash -- so don't expect any big rush to trade for Hampton.

Funny, I remember Ilitch offering to make Juan Gonzalez the highest paid guy in the league a couple of years back. That obviously equates to not willling to spend money.

Juan Pierre can take a walk. Unforetunately he chooses not to most of the time (only 41 BB's in 617 AB's last year, and 65 in 922 AB career).

In his one and a half year career, Pierre's .355 OBP on the road is pretty good. His .390 SLG on the road is embarrassing (especially considering his .310 BA). He can run, but if his average drops any he suddenly becomes Doug Glanville.

I highly doubt Hampton is gonna restructure his contract to come to Detroit. He might take a pay cut the next time he is a FA, but I don't think that is for another 5 years.

Just because a big trade is made, doesn't mean credit should be given. Weaver and Fick for Hampton would be a big trade. A stupid trade, but a big trade.

I still think Hampton is not a wise choice.

I happen to be a Mets fan too and remember all to well how Hampton was B plus A minus pitcher in nice weather, but when it got cold his game brought him to a D grade.

He went to NY from Houston, cause he did not want the short outfield, so the Motown City looks good from that perspective, but the cold Springs and early falls in Detroit don't look good.

I will bet you anything but my Mark F. Rookie Card that he does not go to a cold weather team nor a short outfield.

(OK I'm kidding - No Rookie Card of the Bird) :confused:

Originally posted by qsilvr2531

I'm sure they'll entertain offers (he isn't helping them at all and is costing them a ton), but why would we want him? He's really, really expensive, and at his best he wasn't a superstar starter. That's alot of money to pay the poor man's Kevin Brown.

I would have to say pitching seven shutout innings is a lot more than not helping them at all.

Trading Weaver and Fick for Hampton would be a very stupid trade. Weaver may end up being better than Hampton and Fick is an excellent hitter, even in Comerica.

I dont think DD would make a trade that would deplete our farm system and cause a major setback for the organization like Smith would.

I dont see the tigers trading for any outfielders with a bunch of guys on the current roster and the expectations of Torrez.

I think we all agree that the trade would not put us over the top and therefore would not be worth making...unless it was a steal and even then there is the money issue.

what the tigers need is a real third basemen i wouldnt be surprise if they try and trade for scott rolen

Rolen also just turned down an insane amount of money (the most ever offered in Phillies history) because he is unsure of Phillie's commitment to winning. I can garauntee he'd walk. It's a bad idea to trade for Rolen.

We should be trading somebody to Arizona for Eurubial Durazo and Junior Spivey.

Phillie will desperately be trying to deal Rolen after his trashing of the team over the winter, but the last person the Tigers need is another high-priced player anticipating free agency.

I don't think any major deals are in the works for the Tigers, unless it means unloading the salaries of Palmer, Higginson and/or Easley. And those deals won't be bringing a load of talent our way because of their boat anchor contracts.

With Anderson ailing, Patterson still out and Paniaga not able to get anyone out, some short relief would be welcome though. This kid from Erie looks interesting (Rodney), but I also remember a certain kid from Erie that toar up AA last year and then struggled against major league hitters.

Acevedo as our closer, it looks like we'll be riding the rollercoaster again. Resurrect the old Todd Jones promos...

I love Durazo, don't get me wrong, but I don't think he is really what we need. We have about 5 guys that can play 1B already, and we are crunched at the corners with playing time as it is. We need middle infielders, a 3B and a CF. Adding another 3B won't fix those problems.

I'm not real high on Junior Spivey. He's a bit old to be a prospect, but he does have some on base skills which we could use and if we could move Easley he'd be a good temp guy to have until we can fill the position with a better player.

I like Torres, but I wouldn't count on him being a star CF if I didn't have to. He has speed, plays good defense, and has good patience, but he also hits like he has a toothpick instead of a bat. lack of power is gonna be a problem for him as he progresses. I think we really rushed him this year, and yo-yoing him isn't gonna help either.

I'm not saying he won't be the CF of the future. I'm saying I would like to hedge our bets. We have alot of good middle infield prospects and 3B prospects (though they are all in the low minors), but that doesn't mean I think we shouldn't try to fill those positions if we get the chance.

I would say qsilvr that Spivey is too onld to be a prospect only in the sense that he was never given a chance. That's why I think he'd be good.

I dont understand all this talk about trading Boby Higginson, why woul we trade him? Sometimes people amaze me with these ideas

Possibly. Spivey has shwn good On base ability in the minors, but has also struggled in AAA at a reasonbly advanced age. This could be because he is frustrated beause be hasn't gotten a chance f course. I don't see him developing into a star, but he could be an average to above average player if given a real chance. His margin for error is small because of his age though.