Smell the Glove

....Guillen

Guillen has been activated from the DL and according to Trammell will pinch hit, he doesn't know how much SS he'll play. If it were me I would not take the chance with the fragile Guillen getting hurt again. Rest and rehab is the only thing that will strengthen that knee. I don't see anything good that can be gained with Guillen playing in the final 10.

I agree. Maybe they know something we don't or maybe they are going through the motions of acting like things matter at this point and this a part of that.

Guillen has been activated from the DL and according to Trammell will pinch hit, he doesn't know how much SS he'll play. If it were me I would not take the chance with the fragile Guillen getting hurt again. Rest and rehab is the only thing that will strengthen that knee. I don't see anything good that can be gained with Guillen playing in the final 10.

Guillen needs to play & we need to evaluate him. This team cannot afford to just cross their fingers with Carlos in 2006 - then find out 10 games into the preseason that they need a new SS for the entire season. I would much-rather use the next 10 games as a judgement meter vs 10 games in Florida. What we see in the next week or-so may not be enough to decide anything, but it sure would help & lessen the nail-biting all winter long.

Guillen needs to play & we need to evaluate him. This team cannot afford to just cross their fingers with Carlos in 2006 - then find out 10 games into the preseason that they need a new SS for the entire season. I would much-rather use the next 10 games as a judgement meter vs 10 games in Florida. What we see in the next week or-so may not be enough to decide anything, but it sure would help & lessen the nail-biting all winter long.

I don't think now is the time to push him back onto the field just so we can "evaluate" where he is at. That's what spring training is for. No need to risk further damage to his knees. It takes a LONG time to recover from knee surgery, so we should really just rest the guy and see where he is come spring 2006.

We already know what a healthy Guillen gives us. There is no need to "evaluate" Guillen right now, especially considering that it increases the chances of him re-aggravating an injury.

Not that 10 games in September would tell us anything about anyone, anyway.

We already know what a healthy Guillen gives us. There is no need to "evaluate" Guillen right now, especially considering that it increases the chances of him re-aggravating an injury.

Who said Guillen was "prior to his injury" healthy? Do we now label his 70% range with that knee as being "100% healthy"??????

We already know what a healthy Guillen gives us. There is no need to "evaluate" Guillen right now, especially considering that it increases the chances of him re-aggravating an injury

Precisely stated!!

10 games won't show anybody anything. It's an ignorant waste.

Well I ummmmm... actually agree with 777, kind of, sort, well, not really. I mean, I do but I don't. I agree that it's actually... how can I put this in a nice way? (hmmmmm...)... Uhhhh - NON-SENSICAL? - to "evaluate" Guillen for these last 10 games, that's just a bit, ummm.... asinine?

But where I might agree is that... Guillen needs to play.

Not coming from the Tigers mind you, but probably from himself. My thinking is that Guillen has been declared fit to play and, if he's healthy, I think it's unfair to tell him "no you can't play." Now, it might be smart for the Tigers to shut him down for the season - save Carlos from himself so to speak - but that ONLY works if Guillen is medically not able to play. If he IS medically cleared, then Carlos is probably chomping to get some at-bats and play at least a few games in the field. And if he's OK health-wise, there is nothing WRONG with that because Carlos might want that for his own mental health/ frame-of-mind. ("I finished the season, and at the end, I had NO problems with my knees!!!" ). If he DOES have any problem, than he says "I need it to be looked at some more so if it needs additional minor surgery I can get it done and be READY by Spring Training...".

I think him playing a few games at the end, if he's healthy, is the BEST THING FOR HIM.

:grin:

I really doubt Carlos is 100% healthy. I also doubt he'd be anxious to jump on this sinking ship of a season at less than 100%. He's still signed for two more seasons with this team and I wouldn't think he would want to jeapordize those seasons for ten meaningless games. I bet he's already looking at preparing himself for next season.

I really doubt Carlos is 100% healthy. I also doubt he'd be anxious to jump on this sinking ship of a season at less than 100%. He's still signed for two more seasons with this team and I wouldn't think he would want to jeapordize those seasons for ten meaningless games. I bet he's already looking at preparing himself for next season.

You don't know what he's thinking.

And if he were thinking that, don't you think he'd tell management "It'd be better to just shut me down so I'll get a fresh start next year"?

Now tell me, do you REALLY think that that is what Carlos is telling the team? Or is it closer to "Let me get in a few games, I'm healthy enough, and... I'll feel better."?

I may be wrong... but I'm guessing I'm right.

Exactly correct.

Makes good sense to me. I can't understand why shutting Bonderman down because the season's lost anyway and why shutting Guillen down because the season's lost anyway doesn't rhyme.

Damnit Cas, this is probably the 6th post I have read since logging on this morning in which you have hit the nail directly on the head. At least we will be able to disagree ONCE this year (I am guessing that will occur sometime around Nov 19th).

Would your morale be boosted by knowing your employer is unconcerned about the health of your fellow employees, and equally callous about preserving your company's best chance for future success?

Would your morale be boosted by knowing your employer is unconcerned about the health of your fellow employees, and equally callous about preserving your company's best chance for future success?

Is this a rhetorical question?

Damnit Cas, this is probably the 6th post I have read since logging on this morning in which you have hit the nail directly on the head.

I kind of agree with myself, too. :classic:

At least we will be able to disagree ONCE this year (I am guessing that will occur sometime around Nov 19th).

There's plenty of time to convert over to the right side. Its not an easy thing to do, but it is possible. I suggest you start by tuning into that scarlet & gray defense, particularly the linebacking corps. Simply a thing of beauty.

Guillen will be a good pickup to the team I think. I dont really understand the question.... (sorry its 3 am an I'm tired). That an I'm a retard.... anywho, I think Guillen wants to play to show the team that they need to stick together through thick an thin. If Guillen did this to sway the fans... it's worked for me..

I think Guillen wants to play to show the team that they need to stick together through thick an thin.

I hadn't even considered this. So, what you're saying is, maybe these last 10 games aren't so meaningless, if you consider them in the context of next season. Good point.

I still don't know if it's worth the risk, though. Why shut Bonderman down, if you're gonna let Guillen play?