Sign in to follow this  
Motor City Sonics

2 options now

Option 1

Stay $1 million under the cap to give you some leeway in a trade deadline deal to bolster the team for the playoffs - even though this could prevent you from signing both Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

Option 2

Go right up to the cap to sign these two young stars. It does take the ability to make that trade away, but the Wings will still be a major contender and they need to build for the future with these two guys.

I say Option 2 is a no-brainer. They need to keep these guys around. I know they've offered one year deals with the promise of major pay raises next year when Shanny, Yzerman and probably Lidstrom are gone, but I can also understand why a young player would want 3 or more years. One bad injury and your value goes from $4 million a year to $1 million a year.

The Wings are in a pretty tough spot, but as I see it, the have 6 million for two guys with $500,000 left for an extra player if they need it. 3.5 for Pavel and 2.5 for Henrik. But they both want more.

I wouldn't mind if Nick left in this new era of hockey. Two guys at 3 and 4 million could be just as valuable as him at 7.5.

Screw the cap. Spend over it. The Wings could go 10 million over the cap and still make a profit for the season, and that includes the luxury tax and penalties associated with going over the cap.

Originally posted by MotorCityOrangeman

Screw the cap. Spend over it. The Wings could go 10 million over the cap and still make a profit for the season, and that includes the luxury tax and penalties associated with going over the cap.

I don't think you can spend over the cap with this CBA. The first proposal in February that was 42 Million had a luxury tax style cap, but this cap AFAIK does not.

Originally posted by MotorCityOrangeman

They can't. There are no luxury taxes or penalties. You just can't do it. No side deals are allowed either.

I'm sure if the Wings could do it they would.

there are a couple of ways you can go "over" the cap.

If you have players with long term injuries and have to fill your roster, but once the injured player comes back, you have to get back to the cap number.

And you can sign players over a certain age and if they meet certain numbers they can get incentives that would put the team over the cap. I dont know what the age is, 32, maybe 35. that is yzerman's deal - 1.25 is his salary, but it can go up to 2 million if he meets certain numbers - and it wont go against the cap.

Originally posted by keglerv

I wouldn't mind if Nick left in this new era of hockey. Two guys at 3 and 4 million could be just as valuable as him at 7.5.

I think Lidstrom is going to be far more valuable in the new era of hockey. With the supposed cutback on obstructin his speed and stick work will be very valuable to the team.

Originally posted by spanka

I think Lidstrom is going to be far more valuable in the new era of hockey. With the supposed cutback on obstructin his speed and stick work will be very valuable to the team.

Nick's not all that fast, and neve really was. He plays so well positionally, he never had to be.

Originally posted by spanka

MCS said it perfectly as far as Lidstroms skills. If you remember back to 2003-2004, Lidstrom wasn't all that great for a good portion of the season, he turned it on later in the season than usual even for him.

Originally posted by Motor City Sonics

Back to Sweden.

For quite awhile we always heard that Lidstrom wanted to go back home. I always heard it was because he wanted to raise his kids their. I wonder how old his kids are now. If they are in school, which I'd think so because it seems like the Lidstrom to Sweden talk has been going on since the late 90's, his kids might be pushing for the family not to move.

He only has one more year on this contract. I wonder if there is a good possibility that he stays and we can bring him back next year for around 4 million.

Originally posted by ewsieg

For quite awhile we always heard that Lidstrom wanted to go back home. I always heard it was because he wanted to raise his kids their. I wonder how old his kids are now. If they are in school, which I'd think so because it seems like the Lidstrom to Sweden talk has been going on since the late 90's, his kids might be pushing for the family not to move.

He only has one more year on this contract. I wonder if there is a good possibility that he stays and we can bring him back next year for around 4 million.

As long as he shows he is close to the Lidstrom he has always been, at 4 million I like him, at 7.5 he gets thanks for the memories. I think the cap could be lower next year, which will just compound problems even worse.

Originally posted by ewsieg

I saw him at the state fair in 2003 with his kids and they had two strollers.

I will be very surprised if he stays after his deal here. The money he'd make here compared to what he could make back home, not to mention when you consider what he's made so far already.... if wanting to raise his kids in Sweden is so important then it's not much of a decision.

I doubt he stays as well then. I was thinking he might have a couple of 8-10 year olds.