Motor City Sonics

*RUMOR* Wings sign D - Andy Delmore *CONFIRMED*

Don't know the details, but they are only 4-5 players away from filling the roster and that's without having Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Kronwall and Jason Williams signed.

Looks like about 8 million left to sign them.

3.5 - Datsyuk

2.5 - Zetterberg

1.2 - Kronwall

0.8 - Williams

I think pavel wants more like 6 mil a year.

Local guy, grew up in Windsor

Can't they work out an agreement with Datsyuk, in that we'll pay you alot more money if you just sign this year.

Originally posted by Motor City Sonics

If so, he hasn't done enough to justify that kind of money under the salary cap system.

1) I like Delmore. He's more of an offensive type guy. I guess I'd compare him to a Jason Woolley maybe.

2) You can't circumvent the cap by giving a guy more in the later years. They pro-rate contracts for cap purposes.

3) Pavel is likely worth around $4 mil based on the other contracts that have been signed.

Originally posted by vasteras

1) I like Delmore. He's more of an offensive type guy. I guess I'd compare him to a Jason Woolley maybe.

2) You can't circumvent the cap by giving a guy more in the later years. They pro-rate contracts for cap purposes.

3) Pavel is likely worth around $4 mil based on the other contracts that have been signed.

I don't think he was suggesting pro-rating the contract. He was talking about making some kind of verbal agreement with Pavel, which is slightly different; although I don't know if that is possible. I like Delmore too.

You could sign him for one year with a promise that you'll pay him more next year with a long-term deal. But he would be unrestricted and they don't want to take that chance most likely.

This Delmore thing isn't from one of those hockey rumors sites is it? I didn't see it on my daily scan of the major sites (TSN, sportsnet.ca, etc.) but it is on one of the rumor sites that is wrong about 95% of the time. Anyway, I hope it's true because like I said, I like him. If the NHL does open the game, this guy could be a big addition. He scored 18 goals as a defenseman two years ago. Granted, I can't vouch for his defensive prowess, but I'll defer to the scouts on that one.

He scored 18 goals in 02-03 with Nashville and had a -17.

I wouldn't take any numbers from Nashville and apply them elsewhere. God awful hockey teams.

I think you can take goals and apply them to a MUCH larger degree than +/-, which is a very flawed stat at times in my opinion. Datsyuk, who is very responsible defensively, had a very poor +/- last year despite mostly playing with Zetterberg, who had a much higher +/-. It's sort of weird.

Maybe they end up trading Robert Lang to free up some room - other than that, I don't seem them signing both young guys to anything long term.

The cap is the average per year. So they could pay Pavel a contract in reality that would be

Year 1 - 2 mil

Year 2 - 5 mil

Year 3 - 5 mil

but as far as cap rules go, it would 4 million a year.

Shanahan's return kind of burned the Wings a little bit.

The money given to Schneider surprised me a bit too.

You can't say no to Yzerman - especially when you consider that he could probably get double or triple what he signed for.

Delmore will help the power play a lot.

I think people may not realize what we have with Robert Lang because he wasn't here long last year, and was hurt, etc. This is a guy who was leading the NHL in scoring when we got him last year. He was also one of our best players in the playoffs. Without him, we are tiny at center. Not that he uses his size as much as he could, but still.

I'd rather secure the long term with Datsyuk and Zetterberg (and Kronwall) than ride Lang for another year or two.

We've had a great party for 7 years - I'd rather see us step back for a year or two and gear up for another long run.

Shouldn't you have used the *RUMOR* warning? Yes, you should have. This is nowhere to be found online, therefore it is not confirmed, therefore it has not happened as far as this forum is concerned.

From now on, any news that can not be backed up with a legitimate link shall be considered a RUMOR. And no, fantasy sports websites do not count as confirmation.

It has gone from rumor to fact. Kevin Allen is reporting that his agent says they reached an agreement this morning.

Don't know the details, but they are only 4-5 players away from filling the roster and that's without having Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Kronwall and Jason Williams signed.

Looks like about 8 million left to sign them.

3.5 - Datsyuk

2.5 - Zetterberg

1.2 - Kronwall

0.8 - Williams

Based on how long Kronwall has been in the league and some great players only making 2-3 million a year, can Kronwall really ask and expect 1.2 mill?

Originally posted by ewsieg

Based on how long Kronwall has been in the league and some great players only making 2-3 million a year, can Kronwall really ask and expect 1.2 mill?

Good point, the guy hasn't even played a full season in the league, how can he be asking for over a million. I could see a one year deal for about 600.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=133679

Wings have also signed Bootland and Jason Williams.

The Detroit Red Wings announced Tuesday that the team has signed defenseman Andy Delmore, re-signed forward Darryl Bootland and that forward Jason Williams has accepted his qualifying offer. All contracts are for one year. In keeping with club policy, additional terms of the contracts are not available.

The 28-year-old Delmore has seven seasons of NHL experience, totaling 276 games, 43 goals and 58 assists for 101 points and 103 penalty minutes. In 20 playoff contests, he has six goals and two assists for eight points. He entered the NHL as an undrafted free agent with Philadelphia in 1998-99. He spent three seasons with the Flyers followed by two years in Nashville and one season in Buffalo.

Delmore spent the 2004-05 season in Germany where he tallied seven goals and 26 assists for 23 points in 50 games for Adler-Mannheim.

Williams, 25, signed as a free agent with Detroit in September of 2000 and has logged time with both the Red Wings and their AHL affiliates over the past four years. He appeared in a career-high 49 NHL contests in 2003-04 and has totaled 95 career NHL games, scoring 17 goals and 15 assists for 32 points. He has 14 playoff games to his credit, including nine during the Wings 2002 Stanley Cup Championship. In 2004-05, Williams led Assat Pori in scoring and finished 11th in the Finnish League with 43 points in 43 games (26-17-43).

The 23-year-old Bootland was originally signed by Detroit in July of 2002 and spent the majority of the last three seasons with the Wings American Hockey League affiliate-the Grand Rapids Griffins. Bootland saw his first NHL action in 2003-04 when he appeared in 22 games for Detroit, tallying one goal and one assist for two points and 74 penalty minutes.

You can take RUMOR off of the thread title now Mr. Moderator.

No, I think I'll leave it up just to remind everyone to use it in case they feel like posting something without having anything to confirm. You were right about this particular transaction, but you've been wrong about too many for me to just accept your word without other supporting links.

I'll add CONFIRMED to the subject line.

Originally posted by hoosierdaddy

Is it wrong to post trade/free agent signing rumours? I thought it was all part of sports talk.

...if you post a rumour just make sure you make it clear it's just that. If you know of something for a fact, best bet is to post a link and/or copy and paste the article.