Evenings with Ernie

Kevin Garnett

Most people with a brain realize that Garnett himself isn't to blame for the early playoff exits the Timberwolves have suffered in the last few seasons. Others though point to him as the scapegoat, for not "stepping up" or what have you and taking charge of the team. Alot of people point to the fact that he's making $20 million a year and say, "He's making all that dough and he doesn't do jack." Here's my take. Why don't people point the finger at the Timberwolves management for signing this guy to such a ludicrous contract? Garnett and his agent said after his second season that he wasn't going to resign with them, so Minnesota got all panicked (amazing for a guy who hadn't even proved himself yet) and WAY overpaid for him. The fact is, while he's a very good player, he's more of a role player than anything else, and people need to stop blaming him because, hey, if someone offered me $120 million over six I'd take it too.

I was reading an article on Garnett at ESPN.com, and I started thinking about Detroit's first round picks and cap room next year. Anyway this could happen? Financially impossible?

Role Players don't average Over 21 pts, 12 rebounds and 5 assists per game. The only way thats a "role" player is if the role is superstar.

I was reading an article on Garnett at ESPN.com, and I started thinking about Detroit's first round picks and cap room next year. Anyway this could happen? Financially impossible?

Kevin Garnett is a great player, but he is not worth $25 million. It's not worth sacrificing cap flexibility for the remainder of his contract.

Yeah, role player was probably a bad choice of words. I look at him in the same way I looked at Grant Hill. Had the stats, but he just sort of blended in with the offense, rarely took charge like the best player on the team should.