Oblong

Ticket Nazis

I understand the points about, if you get caught moving, you gotta move back and do it with your tail between your legs. I get that. I bought Griffins tickets this year and paid 5 bucks a ticket. When I'd get there, I'd move to the 10 dollar seats. Breaking the rules. Sure. Am I wrong to do this? Sure. Do I care? No I don't. I recognize it's wrong but frankly I do not care. I don't even try to justify it, I just do it and don't look back. I realize that the well-being of others isn't being affected, that no danger will come unto others as a result of my move, so I do it and I don't care.

This is a really difficult subject, because if you charge everyone the same price, then those who are stuck in the nosebleeds will be mad they didn't get better seats, and like why are they paying the same as those who are in front? But the flip side is, you pay less, but there are empty seats EVERYWHERE and you feel cheated that you're stuck up at the top floor of the Sears Tower. I think most of the money is made on the concessions, suveniors, and parking and that the charge of the admission charge gap is lessened. And the thing is, if you as an owner give instructions to the ushers not to stop people from moving, people will look upon their experience fondly and will come back time and again.

This is one of those points where I would agree with the Tigers management. Tickets are, more or less, sold on a first come-first served basis. Someone else mentioned that if you want to sit in the better seats, buy the better seats. You don't go out to buy a Ford and get a Jaguar just because the dealership may have run out of the color you wanted. If you want it, buy it, and avoid getting kicked out of the better seat. If they allow unlimited movement, why bother charging a higher price for the better seats? Make them all one flat rate.

I have yet to see a car dealer allow you to pay $20,000 on paper for a $40,000 car if you slip him an extra $5000 under the table. When the ushers do that, they throw the rules out the window.

Yes they have the right to do that obviously, but it's still not good customer service.

If I'm a guy who paid $25 to sit in nice seats, and I see a guy who paid $5 and has come down to sit with me, I'm gonna report him.

WHY???

Jesus? What Would Sonny Crocket Do? He'd yank out that big Bren Ten and ventilate their spleens, that's what!

That'd keep their moochin' asses up in the 300 section where they belong.

Lord Almighty. Let 'em into the ballpark, and the next thing you know, they wanna sit down front.......

Argument by analogy is always suspect. The car analogy used here is, of course, wholly inaccurate and meaningless. When you buy a car for ten grand, the company is out one car worth ten grand and gets ten grand in return. Taking a car worth twenty would leave them out ten grand.

But a stadium seat is sitting there, regardless of whether somebody paid for it. If it's empty, the organization is making nothing. If someone who already bought a ticket sits in it, the organization is still making nothing, but they're also not losing anything and no one is any worse off. So I see nothing wrong or immoral in moving to a seat that is not being used by anybody; there can be no sin if nobody is being hurt.

Which is not to say that I think you have a "right" to sit in the better seats, or that the usher shouldn't be allowed to tell you to move. But then, Rob said the same thing in his initial post. He acknowledges that they have the right to do that. But it definitely seems like a rather pricky attitude, particularly for a ball club that is having major public relations problems and difficulty getting butts into any seats anywhere, at any price.

The smart PR thing to do would be to simply ignore the fact that a few fans are getting better views than they paid for, and let it slide. A snarly, Toby-in-the-manger attitude of "Well, if we're not getting anything out of this chair, then nobody is gonna get anything out of it!" can't possibly help the ball club. An attitude of relaxed, unofficial indifference might possibly generate a modicum of good will and fan loyalty, and would cost nobody anything.

As I initially said, I've been to 60-odd games in just over 2 years. This seems to be an odd time to start enforcing this. After all, they've had the 3 lowest attendance levels within the last 2 weeks, around 10,000. That's tickets sold. I bet there were 2000 people there. So now that attendance is down, let's go after teh seat hoppers? That makes no sense. There's less people there so there's less chance of being in someone else's seat. Doc spelled out perfectly how they do not lose anything by people doing this. You don't further alienate your customers when there's so few left.

I'd understand if it's something that was always in place. I don't do this at The Palace or Joe Louis Arena because they've always checked and with the smaller arenas it was usually close to a sellout.

Maybe it's just due to the fact that with the smaller crowds they can pay more attention as there's less people to police. As I also said earlier, whent he crowds are decent, I either sit in my seat, stand by the statues, or find a seat out in the outfield away from others.

I do remember when Ilitch first bought the Tigers one of the initiatives was to tell the ushers to not treat the fans like prisoners.

If someone who already bought a ticket sits in it, the organization is still making nothing, but they're also not losing anything and no one is any worse off. So I see nothing wrong or immoral in moving to a seat that is not being used by anybody; there can be no sin if nobody is being hurt.

Unless you are the poor guy who just spent twice as much money for the exact same thing. It isn't about morality, it is about fairness (not the same thing).

. An attitude of relaxed, unofficial indifference might possibly generate a modicum of good will and fan loyalty, and would cost nobody anything.

The key words being "might possibly." Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but the choice is the group providing the service. Not the person purchasing the service.

And why would I report the person who spent half as much on a ticket and gets the same seat? Because they didn't pay for their seat. I did.

Not to be pessemistci or anything, but you can't increase attendance in any appreciable way by simply letting people sit where they want (unless of course you just made this an official rule. That might have an effect). Winning will increase attendance, regardless of how the ushers treat fans now. And continued losing will hurt attendance, regardless of how ushers treat their fans.

nobody has claimed this will increase attendence. But when you have 3000 people in a brand new stadium on a nice April evening, there's a problem. That's undeniable. It's called perception. Unfortunately, it can't really be quantified and stored away in a ledger for future reference but it does exist and it is important. Perception is reality. So what sense does it make to choose this moment of historically low attendance, coupled with a horrible record to start treating the 100 level section like the hidden secure location that Dick Cheney is hiding in?

They wouldn't even let me down the stairs.

And why would I report the person who spent half as much on a ticket and gets the same seat? Because they didn't pay for their seat. I did.
Just a guess here, but when you were in school, you were the kid who wrote down names for the teacher while she was out of the room, weren't you?

Nope actually I wasn't. Though I was the person who didn't feel terribly sorry for the guy who got caught cheating and took a 0 on the test. But I guess that's just me. If you want to cheat, go right ahead. If you get caught don't complain about it though.

I do agree that it doesn't make sense, (though I don't agree that people haven't tried to make the claim that more people will come to games if ushers allow them to sit whereever they want). But whether is makes sense or not isn't really my point. My point is that they can do what they want, and complaining like you deserve to sit somewhere you didn't pay to sit doesn't make much sense to me. It also doesn't make much sense to pay a utility infielder millions of dollars, but the Tigers do stuff that doesn't make sense all the time.

The bottom line is if the Tigers allowed fans the freedom to sit anywhere, it's going to cost them, a lot, in the long run. If you know you can buy a $20 seat and sit in the $75 section would you ever pay for the $75 seat? EVER? Like it or not, the Tigers, or any sports franchise, are entitled to make you sit in the seat YOU bought.

What happens if you move closer to the field and get nailed by a foul ball or a broken bat? It wouldn't have happened if you stayed in the seat you bought. Do you sue the Tigers for your own negligence?

I would never buy $75 tickets in the first place.

They are just sticking it to the little guy. Big corporation trying to drive out the common fan...

If I bought the seat, does that mean I get to take it home?

:P

i have season tickets and i love my seats, they are only $14 and i will sometimes go sit a little bit closer, but only if someone isn't there. however, the thing that i have found insane is i won't be going to sit in another seat somewhere, i'll be headed to my seats, but say i got some food at the big cat court and wanted to go back to my seats during the game (i'm in leftfield so its the opposite side of the park) if i wanted to go down the stairs by the big cat court and walk to my seats there because first of all its a shorter distance and secondly that way i can still see the game as i'm walking, they won't let me. and i know this because it happened the other day. with food for my sister and i (hands filled with 2 hot dogs, fries, and a pop) someone asked to see my ticket i kinda looked at him like what... you want to go get it... and then he said i couldn't go down there and i had to walk allll the way around to get back to my seats. now i go to about 76 home games a year and i think this is a little insane. also, i like to go early and they won't let you walk around by the seats or near the dugout an hour before the game. that doesn't seem right to me either. i've never been mad with the tigers before but... this is just stupid, i'm ready to complain to them.

I haven't read all of these posts but when I lived in Chicago I went to few games when the Tigers played the White Sox. When the crowds were small, the ushers and organization ENCOURAGED the fans in the worse seats to move to the first level and sit around the plate. I thought this was a great PR move and gave me a better feeling as a fan being there. It's too bad I was a Tigers fan and it was by the White Sox organization.

Originally posted by DTroppens

...when I lived in Chicago I went to few games when the Tigers played the White Sox. When the crowds were small, the ushers and organization ENCOURAGED the fans in the worse seats to move to the first level and sit around the plate.

That'd because too many people were getting sick in the steep upper deck and the organization was sick of cleaning it up!

I just finished reading the entire thread. The last game we went to we were caught trying to sneak into the wrong seats. What did we do? We walked a few sections farther back, didn't make eye contact, I said out loud to my group "this must be the spot" and the ushers thought we had the tickets.

They are ushers folks. They can be fooled real easily. Act like you are supposed to be in the seats and you will get into the seats you wan to.

All that said... I've had games where I've gone and sat in better seats and there have been other games where I had better seats and had others move around me. It doesn't bother me. In fact I like it. I don't go to a game to be one of three people in a section. I want to be there with the rest of the fans! That's why you go to the games.

Also, don't the Tigers have a commercial they show that says something about being "responsive to the fans?" This isn't helping matters at all.

People act as though there are moral implications here. Get over it folks. This is a sporting event. People have been moving to other seats since the start of baseball. Acting as though this is losing teams money is ludicrous. Realizing this is going to be another lousy season, if I don't think I can get a ticket for $10 and move to another seat I won't pay for the tickets. I will listen to the game on the radio. So really they are losing money because if this happened to me two games in a row, I'd say "forget it" I can listen to it on the radio or tape it and watch it later on - things I do quite frequently.

ANother thing about that commercial. Am I the only one that realizes when the guys is talking about the team being responsive to the fans, he actually stops for a second like he actually can't complete the comment. Then the next guy's response sounds like sarcasim? If you have to make a commercial trying to blatantly prove to fans you are responsive to the fans could there be any better clue that you are NOT responsive to them?

It's like those "Drug Free School Zones". I see those signs and the first thing I assume is that the school has a drug problem.

The last game we went to we were caught trying to sneak into the wrong seats. What did we do? We walked a few sections farther back, didn't make eye contact, I said out loud to my group "this must be the spot" and the ushers thought we had the tickets.

Oh my goodness Tropp I was DYING when I read that!! Too funny!! I can just see you doing that too. LOL! :P

Trop, that's what I ususally do, just act like I know what I'm doing. The problem is they won't let you down the stairs anymore without the usher verifying your ticket. It's like a passport.