the buzz word (well not really a word) of the 2005 season.

our detroit tigers have made it to .500 20 times so far.

they have only been above .500 around 5 times this season, but, that was mostly when it was 1-0, 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 3-3, etc.

the best they have been is 2 games over, that was back in june i believe. the good thing is they have at least hovered around .500 for a couple weeks now consistently.

i did a little research today, and, at the century mark (100 games), this is the best record the tigers have had in over 10 years !!!!!!!

now we have to get our boys over .500 to stay !!!!!!

Upon further investigation this their record at the century going back to 1993 (last winning season):

1993:

52-48

1994:

45-55

1995:

43-57

1996:

30-70 (ouch!)

1997:

47-53

1998:

43-57

1999:

42-58

2000:

46-54

2001:

43-57

2002:

38-62

2003:

27-73

2004:

47-53

source

The reason the team can't get over .500 for long is because they're essentially a .500 club. It's not about heart or anything else

Originally posted by ian_a

The reason the team can't get over .500 for long is because they're essentially a .500 club. It's not about heart or anything else

They don't get over .500 period. They got over .500 for about four days in June.

They get TO .500 just fine.

Originally posted by ian_a

ok maybe it's not about heart, maybe, just maybe, it is mental ?

Originally posted by budman

ok maybe it's not about heart, maybe, just maybe, it is mental ?

But maybe its just talent?

Originally posted by tigersfan25

This would be an okay explanation for the Tigers finishing the season around .500, but it does not explain the inordinate amount of times that they make it to the .500 mark and never even go 1 game over.

Originally posted by DET Mr Malefic

This would be an okay explanation for the Tigers finishing the season around .500, but it does not explain the inordinate amount of times that they make it to the .500 mark and never even go 1 game over.

Does it really matter? A .500 team is a .500 team.

Does it really matter? A .500 team is a .500 team.

it matters to me. i have been following the tigers since 1972.

i have never felt so down about my team in the past 12 years as i have recently. not even in the lean 70's did i feel this bad.

if .500 ball is acceptable for detroit fans now, then that's too bad.

Originally posted by budman

it matters to me. i have been following the tigers since 1972.

i have never felt so down about my team in the past 12 years as i have recently. not even in the lean 70's did i feel this bad.

if .500 ball is acceptable for detroit fans now, then that's too bad.

I feel better about this team than any other Tiger team of the past 12 years.

I feel better about this team than any other Tiger team of the past 12 years.

See I understand where you're coming from but I am not fully sold. They're not exactly young and have a lot of decisions to make that could impact them far down the road.

Originally posted by TigersMeow79

See I understand where you're coming from but I am not fully sold. They're not exactly young and have a lot of decisions to make that could impact them far down the road.

fargo.jpg

"I'm not going to debate you, Jerry... I'm not going to sit here and debate"

budman,

A few months ago (I really can't recall how long ago really) I had a thread that I posted how many game-playing days we've been above .500 since something like 1993. I'll look for it tonight and try to post those results here.

Does it really matter?

Yes, because the further they climb above the mark, the more they have to lose to fall back to it, thus increasing the likelihood that they will not do so.

Here it is. I'll edit, copy and paste.

I wasted the night figuring this out. I do stupid things like this occasionally and I figured I should at least post it. I figured out every game date (not including days off) that the Tigers have been above .500 since 1994. In 1993 we finished 85-77. That was our last winning season as most know.

1994 - 12 dates (35-34 latest) +3 best

1995 - 10 dates (37-36 latest) +4 best

1996 - 2 dates (7-6 latest) +1 best

1997 - 2 dates (79-78 latest) +1 best

1998 - 1 date (1-0 latest) +1 best

1999 - 1 date (1-0 latest) +1 best

2000 - 7 dates (70-69 latest) +3 best

2001 - 1 date (3-2 latest) +1 best

2002 - None

2003 - None

2004 - 25 dates (13-12 latest) +4 best (four times)

2005 - 4 dates (11-10 latest) +1 best

Well that's it. A total of 65 days. We haven't been five games over .500 since the end of the 1993 season and we haven't been 10 games above .500 (kind of my definition of a solid team) since June 29, 1993 when we were 43-33.

If you want the link it was called Tigers and the +.500 mark and was created May 19.

http://www.motownsports.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27623

Did you copy and paste, or re-adjust those numbers based on July 28th? Because I know we were +2 right around the time the Pistons were winning a championship, then we came home and lost that atrocious game against Chicago that I won't be forgetting any time soon, especially since I was there.

beek27 did my work for me.

Here's a stat I always want to get figured in posts but I don't think I've done it yet. He did it in this thread.

Our Tigers:

Win / Loss record ('94-'04):

694 - 1021 for a .405 win %

All Time Win / Loss record:

Pre-1994: 7456 - 6938 for a .518 win %

Thru 2004: 8150 - 7959 for a .506 win %

It speaks volumes for the Tigers as an organization throughout its history that we've been worse than the Devil Rays overall in all the years since the Devil Rays have existed, and yet our all time winning percentage is still .506, which is fairly high when you look at the fact that it spans 15,000+ games.

DET Mr Malefic,

They are not updated. I am too lazy to do that right now and they really don't change the general drift of that post anyway.

It was posted May 19 so there have been more days above .500 since then.

DTrops, thanks for the hard work.

i can't believe what has happend to our baseball team.

it really boggles me.

Iv'e finally gotten a chance to watch this Tiger team and see for myself if they can break the .500 mark or not. After watching them in the Seattle series the results are in. Its the fielding thats going to keep them at .500 or below. No amount of good pitching can overcome a bad fielding team. There is no amount of clutch hitting that can make up for poor fielding. No matter how good you hit and pitch the poor fielding will always find a way to through the game the other way.

and maybe like i said it is all mental

80 pitches through 8 innings to a sub-par pitcher ?

this team has sold out. plain and simple.