BiggieG

What Makes A Good Manager Anyway?

After chuckling at all the "Tram IS/IS NOT a good manager" threads, I thought it might be interesting to come up with a list of qualities that we could measure the worth of any manager by. Any thoughts that would get us off and running?

whenever a team overachieves their talent, I give a bit of credit to the manager.

I guess I was thinking about things like:

Bullpen Management

Clubhouse Management

In-Game Strategies

Those are a couple. Think of any more?

Having lots of talented players who don't typically make mistakes is a pretty good indicator.:classic:

But seriously, I want to see a manager deploy the talent that he does have at his disposal in a way that gives each of them (and in turn the team) the best chance to succeed.

That means not asking guys to do things that they don't excel at like a cleanup hitter bunting, or sticking with a pitcher after he's run out of gas.

Keeping your players focused on the task at hand and having the ability to make people want to work for you and respect you. The understand the team goals at hand and understand before they walk in during the morning what your mission is as a team and an individual on that team. It really is no different than being a boss at any of our works. There are a ton of other things but really this is the NO. 1 primary goal and everything else (game time decisions, player moves and that stuff) is all very secondary unless someone is flat out stupid or if the guy is extremely above (maybe the top 1 or 2 managers at any given time) average in these areas.

Trammell has done this better than many of his predecessors. We have a "real professional" clubhouse again. One that I can respect. I see effort out there even if I don't always see results. The true extreme of the previous comment was the 119 loss team. Tons of times I said I was upset with the record and embarrassed with the fact that we may break some records but I also said a ton of times I was impressed despite all the true adversity and actual limited physical talent that that squad brought back some pride in our clubhouse. For years after that it was a playpen of idiots that didn't have a focus. Trammell and his group were able to end that era during some great adversity in terms of the results on the field and the overall little talent that squad had.

That said I don't think he inspires this team to great measures either. He has retained that professionalism within the team. There's still pride within the roster but I don't think he inspires players to greater levels.

So that's why I label him as average as is about 80% of the managers in baseball at any given time.

Originally posted by pfife

whenever a team overachieves their talent, I give a bit of credit to the manager.

There's no way to determine this because no players plays to his talent level every year. One can have an idea of what their record should be but its never a very accurate way to judge a manager.

Originally posted by Yoda

There's no way to determine this because no players plays to his talent level every year. One can have an idea of what their record should be but its never a very accurate way to judge a manager.

There is no way to accurately judge a manager. If its wins and losses, that doesn't seperate the managerial skill from the talent on the field.

With tying it to the talent they have, you can at least try to evaluate the manager independently from the talent on the field.

Not perfect - but what is?

Originally posted by TigersMeow79

The ability to adapt to the talent you have in given years.

I like this one.

I think most important is putting the players in situations where they are most likely to be successful (and limiting situations where they are likely to fail).

The most frustrating thing is when a manager is trying to force a guy to so something that he cannot do. Not to pick on Tram, but putting Logan at leadoff is an example of this.

OK...so far we have:

Bullpen management

Clubhouse management

Game management

Team/Player short/mid/long term focus

Ability to adapt to the talent on your team

Stay away from stupid strategies like sac bunting in the 6th inning of a game with a struggling starter on the mound and a 2 run lead.

Don't get in the way of a team's chance of success by micro-managing. Don't rely on gut instincts or trick plays that fly in the face of logic.

Not leaving in Chris Spurling, err I mean, a pitcher to give a way a 4 run lead in a game that your team had played well in.:classic:

Originally posted by NotoriousCPC

Don't get in the way of a team's chance of success by micro-managing. Don't rely on gut instincts or trick plays that fly in the face of logic.

I disagree about gut instincts. Some managers need to trust thier instincts.

Going by the numbers or righty vs. lefty match-up doesnt always work.:classic:

You know you might be a bad manager when.....you play one player for over 140 games in a row and then say "I hadn't really noticed the numbers of what Brandon had done" (.193 average since June 24).

Originally posted by Greenwit

You know you might be a bad manager when.....you play one player for over 140 games in a row and then say "I hadn't really noticed the numbers of what Brandon had done" (.193 average since June 24).

Jeff Foxworthy stinks...

You can always measure a manager's talent, ability and devotion by what he chews. The good managers chew Red Man, Mail Pouch, Brown's Mule or Beechnut. The very top notch managers lip or jaw a good pinch of snuff, like Copenhagen. Mediocre managers chew toothpicks or spit pistachio shells. Lousy managers chew bubblegum.

Originally posted by Billy Ringo

You can always measure a manager's talent, ability and devotion by what he chews. The good managers chew Red Man, Mail Pouch, Brown's Mule or Beechnut. The very top notch managers lip or jaw a good pinch of snuff, like Copenhagen. Mediocre managers chew toothpicks or spit pistachio shells. Lousy managers chew bubblegum.

A message brought to you by mouth cancer. Remember the next time you're doubting your masculinity remember... it aint THAT bad.

A good manager throws tantrums, embarasses his players, argues with officials all the time, kicks things, and has good pitchers and players.

Originally posted by Billy Ringo

Skoal....you forgot Skoal. In my book Skoal>Copenhagen.

Originally posted by Oblong

A good manager throws tantrums, embarasses his players, argues with officials all the time, kicks things, and has good pitchers and players.

How about berate the press? You probably had that covered under "throws tantrums".

Originally posted by BiggieG

After chuckling at all the "Tram IS/IS NOT a good manager" threads, I thought it might be interesting to come up with a list of qualities that we could measure the worth of any manager by. Any thoughts that would get us off and running?

Have the intials 777.

Originally posted by Oblong

A good manager ....has good pitchers and players.

That's rule #1

Joe Torre rode this rule to 4 titles.

Originally posted by NotoriousCPC

Don't get in the way of a team's chance of success by micro-managing.

And here is rule #2

Bobby Cox breaks this rule every post season.

Rule #3 is handling of the pitching staff. No one has summed it up nicely yet.

Joe Morgan of the 1986 Red Sox, Dusty Baker, and at least one other current manager are some that don't get it.

That's it!