tigersfan25

Attendance...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attendance?sort=home_avg&year=2005&seasonType=2

Lately, the Tigers have gotten quite a boost in the attendence department, with the remergence of Magglio, among various other variables.

It is actually theoretically possible that the Tigers could lead the Central in attendence, given a mildly strong end of the year for this team. Anywho, they are on pace to break 2 million this year.

What was surprising to me, however, was how far Cleveland has fallen.

The All-Star game probably had some affect on attendance. More packages were sold, more interest in baseball, etc ...

Also, the promotions have been good and yes the team is playing better in recent years. Oh ya, the extra seats in RF has helped.

Wow Tampa only draws 13,572 per game.

AAA Louisville drew 8,612 for the game against Toledo last night. Basically the crowds in Tampa are not that much more than the crowds for AAA games.

Originally posted by estrepe1

AAA Louisville drew 8,612 for the game against Toledo last night. Basically the crowds in Tampa are not that much more than the crowds for AAA games.

Like I said in one of the DRAy-Tigers game threads, the DRays should have a midweeknight gameday promotion where they actually play the game in a smaller venue and outdoors. Progress Energy Park, http://tampabay.devilrays.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/tb/ballpark/springtraining.jsp, would be perfect. The players would get to play at home and with the excitement of playing in front of a full house.

On weeknights they average about 7-8 thousand. That place would be hopping on a Tuesday night.

Originally posted by wolverinefan

CLeveland being so down surprises me, and the Sox only being 17th does too.

The whinny sox dont surprize me. they always suck at attendance.:classic:

Detroit is a baseball town.... I know a lot of people who are damn excited about the Tigers right now. It's really pretty awesome.

Eric, the Sports bash guy from ESPN, annually goes to two MLB games at different parks over a weekend. Last weekend, he went to St. Louis and Chicago WS. He was amazed at the difference. STL was alive, energetic, good food, friendly people.

CWS was cold, sterile, nothing out of the ordinary and in a bad neighborhood.

I have been to CWS a few times and it is at or close to the bottom of my favorite ballparks.

Originally posted by estrepe1

There have been two or three games this season when the Durham Bull (DRays AAA team) have outdrawn the DRays when both teams play on the same night.

The Cleveland thing doesn't shock me at all. They are not good baseball fans, it is a football town. Once the novelty of Jacobs Field wore off and once Thome, Colon, and Ramirez were gone, so were the crowds.

I lived in Chicagoland for a spell. The Sox are so secondary in baseball to the Cubs it's not even funny.

But I do have a friend back there that is a Sox fan. He says they are starting to sell out quite frequently. They may make a run soon. When I lived in Illinois it was never tough to get Sox tickets.

Originally posted by hitit345

Like I said in one of the DRAy-Tigers game threads, the DRays should have a midweeknight gameday promotion where they actually play the game in a smaller venue and outdoors. Progress Energy Park, http://tampabay.devilrays.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/tb/ballpark/springtraining.jsp, would be perfect. The players would get to play at home and with the excitement of playing in front of a full house.

On weeknights they average about 7-8 thousand. That place would be hopping on a Tuesday night.

Progress Energy Park is a great venue.

I think that's a terrific idea.

What should the Tampa fans attend games. There is absolutely no reasonable reason for them to bother. The ownership doesn't care - so why should the fans?

This team should be forced to sell to an energetic, aggressive owner - or leave the major leagues.

Washington's attendance seems disappointing for a market that was supposedly starving for baseball for 30 years. Especially since the reported (paid) attendance has seemed significantly higher at times than the number of people crossing the turnstiles.

I've heard they haven't been marketing the team all that well, but this is supposed to be honeymoon period of having a new team. Not only that, the team has been in 1st place basically the entire season. Didn't Denver pack 70,000 people into Mile High Stadium on almost a nightly basis back in the Rockies' inaugaral season?

Tigers attendance is rising but the rest of baseball hasn't caught on to Tiger fever as of yet. Tigers have the worst away attendance in the majors.

Originally posted by dt35456884

Washington's attendance seems disappointing for a market that was supposedly starving for baseball for 30 years. Especially since the reported (paid) attendance has seemed significantly higher at times than the number of people crossing the turnstiles.

I've heard they haven't been marketing the team all that well, but this is supposed to be honeymoon period of having a new team. Not only that, the team has been in 1st place basically the entire season. Didn't Denver pack 70,000 people into Mile High Stadium on almost a nightly basis back in the Rockies' inaugaral season?

Washington, like the former Expos, were screwed over by Bud. Bud cut Havana Pete a sweetheart cable deal, and Comcast, which provides most of the cable around Washington, is pissed because they feel that Petey violated his contract with them. Washington has been marketed worse than any other expansion team ever, and the even bigger difference is that they aren't even an expansion team to begin with.

DT, I like you and all, but I really wouldn't blame the District, and get down on their fans, for what Bud did to the city of Montreal.

Originally posted by tigersfan25

DT, I like you and all, but I really wouldn't blame the District, and get down on their fans, for what Bud did to the city of Montreal.

I admit I'm still kind of bitter and I probably monitor the Gnats the same way a jilted lover takes a certain amount of schadenfreude in the misfortunes of an ex.

That said, I know that of any city in the running to get a new team, Washington was the best candidate by far. Historically it has been an important major-league city. I'm sure when the team is being run by competent and committed people it will flourish.

Someday when the bad blood subsides and someone besides Selig is running baseball, I hope Montreal gets another shot at getting a team. I doubt it though.

Originally posted by Starflyer

Progress Energy Park is a great venue.

I think that's a terrific idea.

Turn them into an NL team, trade the Brewers back to the AL, and bring the Tampa team here to play NL games. Name them the Detroit Stars. I'd love it.

Originally posted by mtdman

Turn them into an NL team, trade the Brewers back to the AL, and bring the Tampa team here to play NL games. Name them the Detroit Stars. I'd love it.

I don't think Detroit could effectively support more than one team.

Originally posted by DTroppens

I lived in Chicagoland for a spell. The Sox are so secondary in baseball to the Cubs it's not even funny.

The flip side of this is that the few people who show up for Sox games do tend to actually be there for, y'know, the game...as opposed to all the tourists, sunbathers, yuppie scenesters, and drunken frat boys at Wrigley.

Comparing the two Chicago parks, there's no question that Wrigley is superior. But the South Side fanbase is much better in quality, if not quantity.

dt35456884,

Change your name. Everytime I see DT in this post I think people are posting to me. I was here first!:classic:

Originally posted by DTroppens

dt35456884,

Change your name. Everytime I see DT in this post I think people are posting to me. I was here first!:classic:

Sorry. I don't even like my name. It was something stupid that popped into my head when I was signing up for the site. That's back when I was a lurker and never intended on posting like I do now.

I guess I can say I'm the only poster who celebrates every Tigers championship with each post. :bored:

Originally posted by NATE

CWS was cold, sterile, nothing out of the ordinary and in a bad neighborhood.

I went to Wrigley Field Friday and I commented on this when I called home and reported my findings to people.

I saw U.S. Cellular on my way to Wrigley, and while I won't know for sure until I actually go there (Thursday when they play the Tigers), I was shocked when I actually got to Chicago.

I was always under the impression.......because it is always being explicitly stated.......that Wrigley was in a good neighborhood and U.S. Cellular was in a bad neighborhood. That was the way it has always been reported, and that's the expectation I had going in.

When I saw where U.S. Cellular was, my mouth almost flew open. I need to consider the sources when I read these things. Now, granted, I saw it from the freeway, so maybe there really is some degenerate looking neighborhood on the other side of the stadium, but when I go next week, I'd better see something REAL bad, because what I saw didn't even resemble what I would consider a bad neighborhood.

It was an okay neighborhood. Neither bad nor good.

The same can be said of Wrigley, which I had been led to believe was in this great neighborhood. The houses/buildings IMMEDIATELY surrounding it.......the ones on Sheffield and Waveland right there facing the stadium...........are really nice. And the places on Lake Shore not far from there are definitely nice. But alot of the residential areas in the neighborhood don't look all that great to me. It looks like a plain old neighborhood.

This of course, is why you go to things yourself, so you can weed out misconceptions from reality.

Originally posted by DET Mr Malefic

I went to Wrigley Field Friday and I commented on this when I called home and reported my findings to people.

I saw U.S. Cellular on my way to Wrigley, and while I won't know for sure until I actually go there (Thursday when they play the Tigers), I was shocked when I actually got to Chicago.

I was always under the impression.......because it is always being explicitly stated.......that Wrigley was in a good neighborhood and U.S. Cellular was in a bad neighborhood. That was the way it has always been reported, and that's the expectation I had going in.

When I saw where U.S. Cellular was, my mouth almost flew open. I need to consider the sources when I read these things. Now, granted, I saw it from the freeway, so maybe there really is some degenerate looking neighborhood on the other side of the stadium, but when I go next week, I'd better see something REAL bad, because what I saw didn't even resemble what I would consider a bad neighborhood.

It was an okay neighborhood. Neither bad nor good.

The same can be said of Wrigley, which I had been led to believe was in this great neighborhood. The houses/buildings IMMEDIATELY surrounding it.......the ones on Sheffield and Waveland right there facing the stadium...........are really nice. And the places on Lake Shore not far from there are definitely nice. But alot of the residential areas in the neighborhood don't look all that great to me. It looks like a plain old neighborhood.

This of course, is why you go to things yourself, so you can weed out misconceptions from reality.

If you're looking for a bad ballpark neighborhood, try the Bronx or Washington D.C.

I feel U.S. Cellular in Chicago is quite safe/quite clean. That park seems to cater-more to the blue collar workers. Wrigley seems to have more college-types. All this is due to both park's surrounding neighborhoods.

There are multiple-story apartments all around Wrigley that rent for around $1700 monthly for a single flat. Lots of college students use them. I feel sorry for the large majority of parents paying their child's rent there. Even if four students share a flat, it's still darn expensive when you add utilities.

Nah, I'm not LOOKING for a bad neighborhood per se, but I expected it due to all the bad things I've heard about U.S. Cellular.

In fact, most everywhere I've gone alone, but I'm actually going to this game with my brother, in large part because I didn't want to go alone to a night game after the things I heard.

So when I actually saw it, I was in shock, because the neighborhood (at least what I could see of it from I-90/94) was nowhere near as terrible as I had been led to believe.