Yoda

The Wild Card thread

Originally posted by TigerPride

Also, chances are a few of those 7 teams will be buyers at the dealine and improve themselves even more.

I'm skeptical we're going to see a lot of improvement coming from deadline deals this year. Rumor-wise, there just doesn't seem to be much out there. I don't see the Tigers really making a run at it, but I don't see anyone winning it via trade.

Sooner or later it is not "just one frickin' game". If this team is going to have any hope to make the wild card, they need to have at least a.600 road trip.

I think with a whole lot of luck, and everyone staying healthy, and everyone playing at the top of their game, I think this team can win 85 games. More accurately, this team is probably destined for 78 to 79 wins.

If you can't win games you are supposed to win, when do you win? (outside of the obvious that happens when one scores more runs than one's opponent_)

Originally posted by tiger_fan_for_life

my guess would be "firetramNOW!"

or tripleseven.:cheeky:

:confused::dead::alien:

firetramnow only shows up after Tiger losses and last night was past his bed time.

tripleseven is just too unpredictable.

hongbit wins. or was it TM ?

Oakland: --

Minnesota: 0.5

New York: 1.0

Baltimore: 3.5

Cleveland: 3.5

Texas: 4.5

Toronto: 4.5

Detroit: 5.0 /b]

Yes, it's a longshot, but it is a shot. Have fun with it Hong and the rest of the naysayers. I don't understand the need to constantly repeat that it is hopeless, when in fact there IS a chance. Remember all those summers when we would have paid to even be in this position at this point? Enjoy it for crying out loud. We're only 2 games from being in 4th place. One loss does not knock us out regardless of what the over-reactionaries cry.

Originally posted by Mattingly70

Yes, it's a longshot, but it is a shot. Have fun with it Hong and the rest of the naysayers. I don't understand the need to constantly repeat that it is hopeless, when in fact there IS a chance. Remember all those summers when we would have paid to even be in this position at this point? Enjoy it for crying out loud. We're only 2 games from being in 4th place. One loss does not knock us out regardless of what the over-reactionaries cry.

This is the most enjoyable season for me since the Fielder/Tettleton/Phillips teams of the early 90s.

The 2000 team had a slight chance at this time. We were 4-5 games over .500 for a while, and on the outside looking in. Here's hoping we don't have anohter pathetic September.

Originally posted by tiger337

This is the most enjoyable season for me since the Fielder/Tettleton/Phillips teams of the early 90s.

Me too. I did get that brief feeling in 2000 like Edman mentioned, but this is the closest to meaningful season in a long time and I can't believe some can't enjoy it for that alone. That doesn't mean those of us that are having fun are Pollyannas.

Originally posted by Edman85

The 2000 team had a slight chance at this time. We were 4-5 games over .500 for a while, and on the outside looking in. Here's hoping we don't have anohter pathetic September.

That's true but I didn't have good feelings about the direction of the organization at that point. Even though they had a slight chance, I knew the organization was screwed up and would not take the next step forward. This year I actually sense they may be heading into a new era. I'm enjoying it more than 2000.

Originally posted by Starflyer

GO AL CENTRAL! - If Twins and Indians (and Tigers) win tonight, the Tigers are 3 1/2 games out

A win tonight, another series win. Then time to cool down the A's, they are due for a bad series.

I'll be listening to the Oak-Cle game today. I know Oakland leads the WC and is the team I should be rooting against, but I just can't get myself to even remotely root for Cleveland.

IMO, the division standings are the most important. If you can't finish 1st or 2nd in your division then you have no chance at playing in Oct. Cleveland and Minnesota need to go down and hopefully Detroit can directly knock Oakland down a peg or two over the weekend.

Regardless if Detroit makes the playoffs, I will party hard if the Tigers finish above .500 with 2nd place in Central.

I'll be there for the Bos/Tor/Oak homestand between Aug 15 to the 25 (gotta make my yearly visit Mom and the fam, visit Comerica summer trip). Hopefully they'll pass or be widening their lead over Cleveland and Minnesota during my visit.

After some quick math I figure that it will take around 87 wins to get the wild card. The Tigers would have to go 37 and 25 to get to 87 wins. I think they still have a chance but it would be highly unlikely. Nevertheless, rooting for highly unlikely things is what we sports fans do, so - Go Tigers!

Originally posted by thewave84

Nevertheless, rooting for highly unlikely things is what we sports fans do, so - Go Tigers!

In that case I'd like to add a "Go Lions!"

Oakland: -- (8-2)

New York: -- (6-4)

Minnesota: 0.5 (4-6)

Baltimore: 2.5 (2-8)

Cleveland: 2.5 (5-5)

Toronto: 3.5 (6-4)

Detroit: 4.0 (6-4)

Texas: 4.5 (2-8)

Cleveland (Elarton 6-5) at Oakland (Haren 8-7) 3:35

Texas (C. Young 8-6) at Baltimore (Chen 7-6) 7:05

Minnesota (Santana 9-5) at New York (Leiter 1-1) 7:05 on ESPN

LAA (Colon 12-6) at Toronto (Towers 7-8) 7:07

Tigers (Maroth 8-10) at Seattle (Moyer 8-3) 10:05 on FSD

I hate to root for Cleveland, but given that the Tigers, Tribe, and Twins all win tonight, the Tigers will only be 3 1/2 back.

Originally posted by tigersfan25

I hate to root for Cleveland, but given that the Tigers, Tribe, and Twins all win tonight, the Tigers will only be 3 1/2 back.

Yea, I fell like I am kicking myself in the groin rooting for Cleveland, but I want to get under 4, for some reason it is psycological for me.

I hate when 2 teams I want to root against play eachother. It's a complete waste of time! Grrrr.. Trammell sucks.

Originally posted by Yoda

I hate when 2 teams I want to root against play eachother. It's a complete waste of time! Grrrr.. Trammell sucks.

Exactly!!! I've decided to root for Oakland. I'm sick of seeing Detroit in 4th place in the Central.

I've been listening to the Oakland broadcast and I really like Bill King and Ken Korach. They both seem do really have their homework done in relation to the opposing team. Ray Fosse is also in the both, but I haven't figured out what purpose he serves. His input comes out of nowhere and is only slightly related to what Bill and Ken are discussing.

I'm switching to the Cleveland broadcast for the last half to see what their broadcast team is all about.

I agree. One step at a time. Oakland may win their division anyhow yet. Go Cleveland!