rhino

Illitch Gambling Ties Garner Attention

Originally posted by Tigercub33

Although I disgarre with yu essentially saying losing is losing and all losing teams are the same.

If that were the case, we'd all be Yankee and Brave fans.

Originally posted by tiger337

I think you are missing out on some good stuff this season then.

No, not missing anything.

Statistically I'm seeing way more bad than good.

But I see whatcha saying.

Originally posted by pfife

Just won't be convinced that 12, possibly 13 consecutive losing seasons ROOLZ!, so the argument is a waste of time.

Show me one post that said the past 12 seasons have ruled.

Wake me when the Tigers are a winning team.

This is really what it comes down to. You aren't interested in debating the decisions being made right now to try to improve the team. What matters is that the team isn't 82-80 yet, so you're going to take your ball and go home.

Come back when you have a better understanding of a GM's job.

Until then, they are the same team with 12 consecutive losing seasons, and possibly 13.

You can't differentiate between this year's team and the 2001 team? Hmmm...look closer.

The fact that you guys think that I'm some kind of moron for NOT being happy with 12 consecutive losing seasons is utterly ridiculous.

Nobody here is happy with 12 straight losing seasons. You want "misrepresentations"? Kettle, meet pot.

No, not missing anything.

Statistically I'm seeing way more bad than good.

But I see whatcha saying.

it could be better but baseball is inherently good.

Originally posted by dt35456884

Come back when you have a better understanding of a GM's job.

Its to win games. Anything else is just a step in reaching this goal. You, I, Estrepe1, TC33, Oblong, and everyone else here that knows a thing knows that.

If the goal of winning games is not met, the rest is moot. And the evidence clearly shows, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the goal is not being met. It probably will in the future, but it isn't now. This is empirically true.

This is really what it comes down to. You aren't interested in debating the decisions being made right now to try to improve the team.

The decisions right now seem good. I am very happy with DD's job performance over the past couple years. In fact, I would give him an A grade for his work so far, even though it hasn't manifested itself into wins just yet.

But as far as Mike Ilitch is concerned, I give him a failing grade for his 13 years of owning this team. If I were grading him, in the "comments" section, I would say this: "Mike has shown improvement over the past couple years, and the future does not look as bleak as the past. But overall, he has failed miserably."

If in my job, I totally suck on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, but then do a decent job on Friday, will my boss say I had a good week?

Its to win games. Anything else is just a step in reaching this goal. You, I, Estrepe1, TC33, Oblong, and everyone else here that knows a thing knows that.

If the goal of winning games is not met, the rest is moot. And the evidence clearly shows, beyond a shadow of a doubt, the goal is not being met. It probably will in the future, but it isn't now. This is empirically true.

I thought the goal was to make money

Its to win games.

Wrong. Dombrowski can't actually win games for the Tigers. He can't throw shutouts and hit homeruns.

His job is to acquire the best players available to him, in the greatest quantities possible. His job is to do that year after year. That's the only thing he can do. If he acquires lots of good players year after year, the Tigers will be a successful team. You can throw out unquantifiable gobbledy-gook like a team being "more than the sum of its parts" all you want. The best teams win.

By and large Dombrowski has been pretty successful at acquiring a lot of talent. He will need to build upon what he's accomplished and do more in the coming seasons. He knows this and so does everyone else.

But if you quantify success as fielding a winning team year after year, tell us how Dombrowski could have achieved that goal by now. I'd love to hear it. If it was never an attainable goal between then and now, don't bother trying to tell us exactly what level of success he's reached, because your definition of success was never possible in the narrow time frame you speak of. Certainly not in 2003, and probably not this year either.

no, the goal is to be 82-80, no matter the cost.

If you don't think things are looking up and the Tigers are on the way to success then why bother? Why are you a fan? WHy do you watch the games? Why do you care what they do? If losing 12 years in a row bothers you so much then why do you follow the team?

Originally posted by Oblong

no, the goal is to be 82-80, no matter the cost.

I'll let DT answer that, becuase he understands that argument way better than I - after all, he made it up.

If you don't think things are looking up and the Tigers are on the way to success then why bother?

exact opposite of what I said twice - once specifically quoting myself DIRECTLY to you.

Why are you a fan? WHy do you watch the games? Why do you care what they do? If losing 12 years in a row bothers you so much then why do you follow the team?

Because it is looking up. Like I already said twice, which you promptly ignored. And I was a fan before they lost 12 years in a row, and I am loyal.

Wrong. Dombrowski can't actually win games for the Tigers. He can't throw shutouts and hit homeruns.

His job is to acquire the best players available to him, in the greatest quantities possible. His job is to do that year after year. That's the only thing he can do. If he acquires lots of good players year after year, the Tigers will be a successful team. You can throw out unquantifiable gobbledy-gook like a team being "more than the sum of its parts" all you want. The best teams win.

By and large Dombrowski has been pretty successful at acquiring a lot of talent. He will need to build upon what he's accomplished and do more in the coming seasons. He knows this and so does everyone else.

But if you quantify success as fielding a winning team year after year, tell us how Dombrowski could have achieved that goal by now. I'd love to hear it. If it was never an attainable goal between then and now, don't bother trying to tell us exactly what level of success he's reached, because your definition of success was never possible in the narrow time frame you speak of. Certainly not in 2003, and probably not this year either.

Your right. He's a complete success. I have no idea what a GM does, and my posts add nothing to the discussion.

Sorry to bother you with my mindless idiocy. Hopefully you can find it in your heart to forgive me, and grace me with more lessons I can hold and cherish for a lifetime.

Toodles!

Biff Mayhem said: "KNOCK OFF THE ATTEMPTS TO INCITE PISSING MATCHES, INSULTS, AND OTHER HORSESHYTE OR YOU WILL FIND YOURSELF AN UNWELCOME FORMER MEMBER.

Think I'm not serious? Go ahead and knock that battery off my shoulder and find out."

Instead of closing a thread with class, Robert Conrad comes off as a 6 grader with a miniscule member who just lost a tether ball game during recess.

Originally posted by Woodpecke®

Instead of closing a thread with class, Robert Conrad comes off as a 6 grader with a miniscule member who just lost a tether ball game during recess.

Interesting.