smr-nj

that Jeter's a smart cookie....

Did you know this rule? I didn't..........

(partial excerpt from NY Times story in today's paper)

==============================================

With the score tied, 3-3, and two outs in the seventh, Hernández walked McLemore. Ugueto was on first and was running on the pitch, and catcher Jorge Posada threw to second. Ugueto slid in safely — he was entitled to the base — but his slide carried him past the base. Jeter applied a tag, but Umpire Kerwin Danley began to signal safe, anyway.

This was wrong, and Jeter knew it. He had never been in a situation like it, Jeter said, but he knew the rules and calmly explained them to Danley.

"I said, `It was ball four, but he's still off the base,' " Jeter said. "If you walk and you come off the bag, you're still out. He got to second and he came off, so the rule is he's out."

Piniella stormed from the dugout, but Jeter was right and Piniella conceded without an ejection. The important thing, Torre said, was that Jeter stayed under control while debating the call.

"He saw that he slid off the bag, so there's really no reason to jump up and down," Jeter said. "Just talk to him and let him know what happened. After I told him, he called him out."